Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

The uncertainty around travel post Brexit has nothing to do with passports and everything to do with the deal we eventually agree (or dont) with the EU and what that says with regards to airspace and which planes are allowed to travel where.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Trouble is as always "an extra bit of paper" or a European ESTA etc will take time to get. Systems will need to be in place to provide them and police them - in a very short time.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Trouble is as always "an extra bit of paper" or a European ESTA etc will take time to get. Systems will need to be in place to provide them and police them - in a very short time.
ETAIS is not planned for implementation till 2021 as jas72 said. It had started planning even before the vote. No effect next March from this. Possibly post 2021 though.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

I’m really grateful for our passport system- we can travel most places fairly easily and I think this will remain the case. My fiancé is African and he needs a visa from the embassy of that country wherever he goes, so for example to go to Spain we would have to factor in a trip to London and the cost of the visa on top of the holiday- it makes a weekend away in Europe very costly (and time-consuming as we live in Yorkshire). I’m glad the American ones last 10 years because a lot of the others only cover one trip.

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
The uncertainty around travel post Brexit has nothing to do with passports and everything to do with the deal we eventually agree (or dont) with the EU and what that says with regards to airspace and which planes are allowed to travel where.
Plenty of non EU planes fly in EU air space. Do you seriously think that European countries are going to stop British planes / passengers flying over?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Plenty of non EU planes fly in EU air space. Do you seriously think that European countries are going to stop British planes / passengers flying over?
No, but they can if they don't get an agreement in place with them.

Edited at 03:26 PM.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Those non-EU planes can fly over EU air space because they have an agreement with the EU to do so.

Hence why, if we leave the EU without an agreement, then there could be problems. Currently the EU governs UK aviation access to it's countries plus 44 other countries. Leaving the EU isn't the issue - it's not having an agreement with the EU and several other countries which could result in a problem.

Of course, it's expected that the UK and EU (and all those other countries) will come to some sort of agreement. No one wants to be stuck without being able to fly anywhere, so it's in everyone's interest to come to an agreement.

The following probably best sums up the details better than I can:

bbc/news/uk-45019603

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Those non-EU planes can fly over EU air space because they have an agreement with the EU to do so.

Hence why, if we leave the EU without an agreement, then there could be problems. Currently the EU governs UK aviation access to it's countries plus 44 other countries. Leaving the EU isn't the issue - it's not having an agreement with the EU and several other countries which could result in a problem.

Of course, it's expected that the UK and EU (and all those other countries) will come to some sort of agreement. No one wants to be stuck without being able to fly anywhere, so it's in everyone's interest to come to an agreement.

The following probably best sums up the details better than I can:

bbc/news/uk-45019603
And why would anybody not agree to British planes flying over their airspace is my point. It will be fine, as you will see, in due course. I won’t waste my breath arguing with people determined to see the worst. I am not interested in links from the highly biased BBC!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

There is an agreement to have a transition period to work things out. The UK insisted that Dec 2020 was the limit (which is a purely political date to keep the maddogs at bay.)

I'm sure come March 2019 there will be a basic agreement which allows talks to continue until Dec 2020. So no worries about travel or planes. (I hope as the Easter weekend falls on 29th March next year and I work in Brussels and will return home that weekend so I hope I'm right. )

I am not interested in links from the highly biased BBC!
How is the BBC biased You need an agreement to fly there is no argument to be had, you are completely right that people will still want/need things to work but it's not wrong to say these agreements need to be in place or negotiated if part of a change in circumstances for the UK.

Edited at 03:46 PM.
jas72 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Whener the B word raises it's ugly head we get comments along the lines of...

'But x can do y so why won't we be able to"

...apparently without the understanding that for x to do y there has been long periods of negotiations to reach agreement for x to do y.

That's not to say we won't be able to make the agreements we need to do y (or z or a or b or d etc etc), but wishing it won't make it happen.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List