Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 19 Sep 18, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile Camera and editing software

What do people use to make their family vlogs?

Have read about the canon g7x and looking to potentially purchase this for a good all rounder for our upcoming trips.

Would IMovie on the MAC be suitable to start with beginner vlogs and maybe something more as we get used to it?

Or do people have other suggestions? Not looking to become a professional vlogger...

More just to creat family / holiday videos.

We have DLP, Bluestone, Center Parcs and WDW all coming up in the next 7 months... and really want to start getting into this now with the little one.

Any tips on how to vlog also appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 19 Sep 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I've just moved from Adobe Premier Elements to Davinci Resolve 15 (free edition)

Premier Elements is the easier of the two to use, but no where near as powerful as Resolve - however both are substantial improvements over iMovie, and Premier Elements also has a free trial.

I recommend you try both and find one you enjoy using, both have a lot of usage tutorials on YouTube to get you started.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Fantastic thank you... will look out for these two.

Any tips / tricks on editing software and creating videos?
Old 19 Sep 18, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one

I'm just learning the video editing side of photography myself - I used to work professionally as a photographer which is why I thought I'd get on with Premier but turns out I prefer the work flow from Resolve.

My biggest tip without adding to expense is to learn the keyboard short cuts so that what ever software you end up using to edit your videos you can get frame by frame precision of scrubbing and cutting
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Following with great interest as was also considering a camera for both photos & vlogs but can't decide between Cannon or Sony
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one

Originally Posted by MikeH23 View Post
Following with great interest as was also considering a camera for both photos & vlogs but can't decide between Cannon or Sony
There's nothing really to choose between them - I use the RX100 III my partner uses the G7X II, I prefer the Sony due to the built in viewfinder, she prefers the Canon due to the touch screen - they both use the same 1" sensor, its just the processing units that differ and since we both shoot in RAW even that makes no difference

The best advice anyone can give and I missed it in my last post - have fun with what your doing, if you don't you'll get fed up with any post process work be that still or video and then nothing will leave the camera
Old 19 Sep 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
There's nothing really to choose between them - I use the RX100 III my partner uses the G7X II, I prefer the Sony due to the built in viewfinder, she prefers the Canon due to the touch screen - they both use the same 1" sensor, its just the processing units that differ and since we both shoot in RAW even that makes no difference

The best advice anyone can give and I missed it in my last post - have fun with what your doing, if you don't you'll get fed up with any post process work be that still or video and then nothing will leave the camera
Thanks that's good to hear positive reviews for the 2 actual cameras I was considering I just need to hurry up & make a decision.
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

if you've got a mac, then imovie will be all you need for now.

if/when you outgrow it *then* start looking for other software, but for most people it's more than enough...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Great... IMovie will be my starting program.

Went to Currys today to check the Sony RX100 III and the Canon G7X.

What are people’s preference?

Thanks
Old 21 Sep 18, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

IVe been using iMovie for about a year now and it does what I need.

I will however be looking at Davinchi again at some point (I’ve got it but for the life of me can’t import my GoPro footage to it )
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List