Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 9 Oct 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I've had some chocolates and crisps this aft. Has set me off with that left sided pain. I shouldn't eat that crap...
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Anxiety can definitely make matters worse. I find the worst time for me is the actual travelling and on the plane. I can only cope by not eating on travel day as I get so bloated on the plane and if I need to go to the toilet I don't get much warning (vi poo) is a godsend! I found I was able to manage the parks easily as there are toilets everywhere and no queues so I was relaxed and able to enjoy myself. I have had IBS for nearly 50 years and was told years ago I would just have to put up with it. Last year I had had enough. I went to my gp. Had the blood tests and scopes to rule out disease and coeliac disease. I kept a food and symptom diary. Was referred to just dietician and did the FODMAP diet. This worked for me, I found my triggers (tomatoes) and in the process lost weight and now feel so much better and positive. There is a whole lot of new thinking and research around IBS and lots of awareness about our microbiology and how we need to feed it. Dr Michael Mosely on Trust Me I'm a Doctor writes well on the subject. A long ramble sorry but there is hope out there.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post

ibs

poor you, not fun!def look at Fodmap but if this feels a bit overwhelming at the moment, I strongly suggest trying eliminating dairy & gluten for a few weeks .I've minimised gluten for a long time (fairly easy as gluten free pasta easy to get plus make my own gluten free bread) but recently went dairy free after having bad/regular abdo. pain over the summer,& has def helped.View it as giving your gut a rest, then u can re-introduce products slowly to see what impact they make eg. starting with lactose free milk . Extreme stress/anxiety can "sensitise" your gut plus it is thought that American grains can have a bigger impact due to higher gluten levels, plus a tendency to use more pesticides & preservatives in their food production. I would imagine most of us have a tendency to overeat,rush around & make poor food choices on holiday, so if you're home its really taking time to relax when u have your meals, try some breathing exercises/quiet time before & after meals if u can. Having read up on the menus & how Disney does cater well for allergy guests I'm actually looking forwards now to the DDP!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
You need to do a food diary and exlucsion diets.

My IBS was awful when I was young, I've had it for about 15 years now.
I am allergic to gluten and citrus sets me off really badly.
So obviously florida orange juice is a no go.

Disney are very good at helping you avoid foods and creating something that is suitable, don't be afraid to ask.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cls123 View Post
poor you, not fun!def look at Fodmap but if this feels a bit overwhelming at the moment, I strongly suggest trying eliminating dairy & gluten for a few weeks .I've minimised gluten for a long time (fairly easy as gluten free pasta easy to get plus make my own gluten free bread) but recently went dairy free after having bad/regular abdo. pain over the summer,& has def helped.View it as giving your gut a rest, then u can re-introduce products slowly to see what impact they make eg. starting with lactose free milk . Extreme stress/anxiety can "sensitise" your gut plus it is thought that American grains can have a bigger impact due to higher gluten levels, plus a tendency to use more pesticides & preservatives in their food production. I would imagine most of us have a tendency to overeat,rush around & make poor food choices on holiday, so if you're home its really taking time to relax when u have your meals, try some breathing exercises/quiet time before & after meals if u can. Having read up on the menus & how Disney does cater well for allergy guests I'm actually looking forwards now to the DDP!
I also wonered if I was sensitive to gluten as my dad is coeliac but was strongly advised not to minimise gluten for at least 6 weeks until I had blood test to see if positive. If you eliminate it or cut down the test results will not be accurate. The blood test results don't take long to come through. To be honest when on FODMAP you are eliminating gluten and I absolutely detested gluten free stuff plus it is full of things that I wouldn't willingly eat unless I had to. Real sourdough bread is lovely though. Have to agree that FODMAP is not easy without expert help and advice. It does seem to give the but a rest and reboot.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with the other posts, you need to find out the food triggers. I take mebeverine 3 times a day before food and after some trial and error have cut out Oats, leeks and apples. I'm sure there are other foods that cause minor symptoms, but those three could/can cause major symptoms.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

I was also much improved while at Disney and tried to figure out why ( I have never been able to work out a lot of what triggers mine )... came up with chocolate as the US stuff isn't nice, also less bread ( again, not as nice as ours !). Was really weird I had only one bad morning while there.

Edited at 08:50 PM.
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
All your tips and advice have been amazing, thank you all I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Still doing my food diary and trying to cut out gluten at the moment, see if it helps. Struggling with dairy though as I enjoy my milky tea/milk chocolate etc so always give up after a day or two as other 'milks' don't taste the same. I'll keep trying though. Trying next to eliminate onion, broccoli that type of thing. See if I have any luck with that too. I might make another thread in one of the other sections to see if anyone has any good gluten-free/dairy free/low fodmap diet tips recipes etc

But since my OP my abdomen pain has gotten worse and Dr has advised I may also have Endometriosis, so I'm starting on a course of anti-inflammatories too, see if that helps my cause.

Anyone else ever feel at the end of their tether from health related issues? *sigh* Well at least Disney is always there took forward to!

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWlover
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Hi. I suffer with similar issues and have done since I had a stomach operation as a child.

Something I noticed that makes me really bad is if I don’t eat for a long period of time e.g missing breakfast and not eating until 1pm the next day. So now I try to eat regular meals at similar times and this has 100% helped me.

The biggest thing that has helped me though is drinking peppermint tea! At first I didn’t like it but kept going with it and now I really like the taste. I can’t tell you how much it changed me life really! From just drinking 3 cups a day (first thing and then throughout the day) I’ve been able to come off medication and control my illness myself. I really notice if I’m not able to take it. When I go to Orlando I take my own tea bags and in the parks I just ask for a cup of hot water in Starbucks or somewhere similar and add my own teabag. I always offer to pay for the water but they don’t usually want anything for it. I make sure to take my own as I have never seen anywhere in Orlando selling peppermint tea.

Hope it helps.
WDWlover is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by WDWlover View Post
The biggest thing that has helped me though is drinking peppermint tea! At first I didn’t like it but kept going with it and now I really like the taste. I can’t tell you how much it changed me life really! From just drinking 3 cups a day (first thing and then throughout the day) I’ve been able to come off medication and control my illness myself. I really notice if I’m not able to take it. When I go to Orlando I take my own tea bags and in the parks I just ask for a cup of hot water in Starbucks or somewhere similar and add my own teabag.
That's really interesting. A friend actually already recommended peppermint capsules, and my sister (who works at Holland and Barrett) did too, so maybe I'll have to give the tea a try. And taking your own bags to Orlando is a great tip. Do you drink it just after meals or whenever you fancy?

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List