Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 18, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
Was reading yesterday that there is a different vaccination for the over 65s ( covers 4 strains rather than 3) this year, could explain why my friend in her 50s had no problem getting an appointment for hers but older aunt has been told she will have to wait as they have none left at the moment (both at the same surgery)
You live and learn, never knew that.

This is the off the NHS website:-

For 2018, there are 3 types of flu vaccine:

a live quadrivalent vaccine (which protects against 4 strains of flu), given as a nasal spray. This is for children and young people aged 2 to 17 years eligible for the flu vaccine

a quadrivalent injected vaccine. This is for adults aged 18 and over but below the age of 65 who are at increased risk from flu because of a long-term health condition and for children 6 months and above in an eligible group who cannot receive the live vaccine

an adjuvanted trivalent injected vaccine. This is for people aged 65 and over as it has been shown to be more effective in this age group

If your child is aged between 6 months and 2 years old and is in a high-risk group for flu, they will be offered an injected flu vaccine as the nasal spray is not licensed for children under 2.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Had mine last week, no pain or lump.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Had mine. It was not painful at all being done and experienced only a slight amount of stiffness for a few hours.
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

All had ours with no side effects. Eldest DD and I had it at the GP. Youngest has just started university so she went to her local Superdrug - with her student discount it was less than £6.50 - well worth it if there’s a break out in her halls of residence! (I believe if you have a Superdrug loyalty card, you also get that price reduction) 👍🏻 Again, she had no side effects from the injection.
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Had mine yesterday at Boots, arm painful today but no redness or anything. Pharmacist was saying about the different types this year & did mention the over 65 one being in short supply due to the good uptake this year so far. Flu can be a killer can never understand people not having one, I started having them as soon as you were able to pay for them & like Mr. Tom says if you can pay it does help towards the struggling NHS.
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

I had mine last week and DH this week at Tesco. We usually go to the Dr but it was like Casey’s Court this year, the receptionists hadn’t a clue and the special flu phone line they had set up wasn’t working, I was first in the queue for 15 minutes before I gave up on that.

Receptionist insisted that we should have already had a letter with a date (which we hadn’t) and although they could see we we’re eligible we and should have been called in we would have to wait for the letter.

We phoned, went in to talk to them and explained the hospital wanted me to have it immediately or my operation would be put back. Although we are both in the first tranche, due to illness, and that date had passed they wouldn’t shift.

Walked up to Tesco and got appointments. The lady at Tesco said some doctors in our area didn’t get their allocation on time and Tesco had bought plenty. I got a text yesterday inviting me to me an appointment mid October and DH early November!
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

No idea which one I had, I get it as an NHS employee. I didn't used to get it but occy health were very persuasive a few years back and that was the first year I wasnt ill over Christmas for years.
Interesting how it affects people differently. My arm is definitely aching more this morning.

If I had to go to a surgery I would probably rather pay too. My surgery is rubbish and avoid it if I can...
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I hate waiting in the Surgery!

I have to go tomorrow for my 6 months worth of blood pressure tablets.

Appointment booked online. I wait in the car until 2 mins before my time, then I dive in and 'register' on the wall mounted machine and spend the next few minutes moving around so I'm not sat near some person coughing and spluttering.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I don't have it but OH did and no side effects at all.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Under 65 is quadrivalent - protection against 4 flu virus'
Over 65 is tri- 3 strain protection

These are deemed best for age group immune systems

I had the quad yesterday and it stung and a bit red and sore today but sure it won't last.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List