Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Oct 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandobound View Post
Hotel Fori Imperiali Cavaliere is very nice - I have stayed there twice with my children. I've also stayed at Hotel San Francesco in Trastevere with my husband. The Hiberia is a good recommendation. I am planning to stay there myself in the future as it is a great location. It is very near the Domus Valentini which my son loved - just beside Trajan's Column. I love Rome!

Thank you for your help I will have a wee look at your recommendations. Aww I know Rome is so lovely. Me and dh went a few years ago and loved it. This is a surprise trip for dh 40th so really looking forward to going esp as the kids will be with us this time.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

For us, the beauty of Rome is that it has an unspoilt feel. It is almost like the whole central area has age, rather than just a few parts.
The food is wonderful and pretty good value as long as you stay out of the main squares.
Everything is also a walk. We never used the subway or a taxi and we never felt that we needed any wheeled transport at all.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
For us, the beauty of Rome is that it has an unspoilt feel. It is almost like the whole central area has age, rather than just a few parts.
The food is wonderful and pretty good value as long as you stay out of the main squares.
Everything is also a walk. We never used the subway or a taxi and we never felt that we needed any wheeled transport at all.
I totally agree with you and the local people are so friendly. Me and ds went to Naples last month and we both loved it. it had the same feel of old school Italy and it was so so cheap. Just seen on your countdown your away to NY soon I am so jealous. We were there last week before hopping over to Orlando. NY is amazing. hope you have a fab holiday.
Old 12 Oct 18, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I totally agree with you and the local people are so friendly. Me and ds went to Naples last month and we both loved it. it had the same feel of old school Italy and it was so so cheap. Just seen on your countdown your away to NY soon I am so jealous. We were there last week before hopping over to Orlando. NY is amazing. hope you have a fab holiday.
You were lucky re Naples. I had a fortnight in Sorrento a couple of years back and caught the Circumvesuvia into Naples with my 10 yr old as he wanted to see the Napoli Archeological Museum. The area outside the station and then the walk to the museum were intimidating and very unpleasant. Matt even ask that I keep hold of his hand!
Herculaenium, Pompei, Sorrento and Positano were on the contrary, incredible and also unforgettable for the right reasons!
We also caught the train from Napoli to Rome and spent 3 nights there.. a whole 1 hour 10 minutes each way! The easiest dual centre vacation ever.

Re next year, we like NY (and DC even more). We are having 3 each in Boston, NY, Dayton Ohio and then 14 in Orlando. I am really excited about it.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
You were lucky re Naples. I had a fortnight in Sorrento a couple of years back and caught the Circumvesuvia into Naples with my 10 yr old as he wanted to see the Napoli Archeological Museum. The area outside the station and then the walk to the museum were intimidating and very unpleasant. Matt even ask that I keep hold of his hand!
Herculaenium, Pompei, Sorrento and Positano were on the contrary, incredible and also unforgettable for the right reasons!
We also caught the train from Napoli to Rome and spent 3 nights there.. a whole 1 hour 10 minutes each way! The easiest dual centre vacation ever.

Re next year, we like NY (and DC even more). We are having 3 each in Boston, NY, Dayton Ohio and then 14 in Orlando. I am really excited about it.
I thought your countdown said 27 days lol. Aww your holiday sounds amazing. I've heard the station bit in Naples is a bit rough. We would love to visit Sorrento everyone says its really lovely I've never heard a bad word about it.
Old 12 Oct 18, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I thought your countdown said 27 days lol. Aww your holiday sounds amazing. I've heard the station bit in Naples is a bit rough. We would love to visit Sorrento everyone says its really lovely I've never heard a bad word about it.
If you are not too advanced on planning, I would suggest a split stay with some each in Rome and Sorrento. We did a fortnight close to Rome several years back (25 miles away) and it was good. Last time, it was 11 in Sorrento and the 3 in the middle up to Rome. If you flew into Rome, caught the train to Napoli and then eventually flew out of Napoli, then it would work brilliant whilst costing pretty much the same. (The train is great value). Get the best of both!

Old 12 Oct 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds like a good plan I think I will look and see how it works with the £. We fly from Glasgow to Rome on the 24th of Nov at 6am then fly from Rome to Glasgow at 8pm on the 28th of Nov. I have the flights booked. We were planning on doing a tour of Italy next year but now thinking of coming back to Orlando. I was thinking of looking up a week in March for Sorrento so we can do both.
Old 13 Oct 18, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

Having done both Rome and Sorrento I think plan to do them separately there's so much to do in Sorrento
As from there you can get the ferry to Capri, we did a hop on bus along the almafi coast which stops at positana and almafi which was amazing, then another day we did pompi and mount Vesuvius, not to mention just walking round all the lovely shops and the land train, we were exhausted having only 7 days there
Again Rome has so much to do we did a night tour under the colosseum but you have to book that direct and the Vatican gardens were beautiful if you book that you can go straight through no q and then look round the Vatican from in side.
We stayed in Rome Times again easy 10 min walk to the Tervi fountain but the room was wonderful and the breakfast to die for so much choice
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We love staying in Trastevere. Last time we stayed at the hotel trastevere. Cheap and cheerful in a great location and we walked everywhere.
I did a little mini report
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1066105
Old 16 Oct 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

We did a 5 night trip with DS 2 years ago. Stayed at IQ Hotel and would highly recommend. Very modern, clean and comfortable. Good restaurants nearby that staff recommended were all excellent. Hotel has a lovely roof terrace with vending machines with wine and beer which was a nice place to sit of an evening, we met lots of American guests and had a great trip.
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List