Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Oct 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Sucks I guess but you can thank all the Brexit voters!
What? They are still issuing EU style passports.
Can you tell us your reasoning on how Brexit voters have caused the passport service to not add months onto a new passport?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

From this article:

politico.eu/article/brex...-wont-be-blue/

A technical notice from the U.K. Home Office published on Thursday warned U.K. citizens would become third country nationals in the event a Brexit deal is not reached making them subject to new rules in the Schengen Border Code.

Passports must have been issued within the last 10 years, and have at least three months remaining under the regulations.

The Home Office on Thursday warned citizens to “consider renewing your passport soon to avoid any delay, as the passport issuing service can get busy, especially in the spring.”

British authorities will also scrap a policy of crediting new passports with the remaining validity on their outgoing document — meaning a period would be bolted on to the 10-year validity of a new passport.

“From the beginning of September 2018 extra validity is no longer added to passports,” the notice said. “We have made this change to follow recommendations set out by the International Civil Aviation Organisation and to help provide clarity about passport validity in the Schengen area in the future.”
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post

This is my concern.
It seems ludicrous that a passport can be valid for ten years ONLY For some areas (i.e. Europe from end March next year - irrespective of no deal) - yet be valid for longer elsewhere. This will just lead to widespread confusion.

They cannot change the 10 year Max set by the EU and CAO so the only logical thing to do is pull it back for all parties and all countries to 10 years from date of issue.

So back to the original query - 6 months post expiry may not matter for the US, but I personally would make sure that my passport wasn't more than ten years old when I returned. And I would give myself a bit of a cushion too.

The .gov link is very clear for me, I have to replace my passport for next summer travel irrespective of the fact it is valid until 2019 on the face of it.

Edited at 08:15 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
This is my concern.
It seems ludicrous that a passport can be valid for ten years ONLY For some areas (i.e. Europe from end March next year - irrespective of no deal) - yet be valid for longer elsewhere. This will just lead to widespread confusion.

They cannot change the 10 year Max set by the EU and CAA so the only logical thing to do is pull it back for all parties and all countries to 10 years from date of issue.

So back to the original query - 6 months post expiry may not matter for the US, but I personally would make sure that my passport wasn't more than ten years old when I returned. And I would give myself a bit of a cushion too.

The .gov link is very clear for me, I have to replace my passport for next summer travel irrespective of the fact it is valid until 2019 on the face of it.
You have confused me too. I thought British Passports are only issued for ten years and it’s not county specific. ( adding on up to nine months from unexpired passports now stopped..
Where are U.K. passports valid for more than 10 years now if newly issued?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry if I have confused matters.

My understanding is that from March to go to Europe your passport must be less than 9.5 years old at the date you return to the UK because passports will only be considered valid for upto 10 years.

This is irrespective of the date on the passports, which were sometimes issued for 10 years plus carryover months. So the duration of the passport could be upto 10.5 or slightly longer - this longer printed date would technically be accepted by USA and Australia but not for Europe.

It seems to me that the fact that a passport will be valid for going to USA and out of date for Europe and others is an anomaly that won't be allowed to carry on too long.

It won't affect newly issued passports, but it could be an issue for anybody who has a passport that was issued for more than 10 years.

You need to check the .gov link to see if your passport is affected.

passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport

Edited at 09:42 PM.
Old 20 Oct 18, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Sorry if I have confused matters.

My understanding is that from March to go to Europe your passport must be less than 9.5 years old at the date you return to the UK because passports will only be considered valid for upto 10 years.

This is irrespective of the date on the passports, which were sometimes issued for 10 years plus carryover months. So the duration of the passport could be upto 10.5 or slightly longer - this longer printed date would technically be accepted by USA and Australia but not for Europe.

It seems to me that the fact that a passport will be valid for going to USA and out of date for Europe and others is an anomaly that won't be allowed to carry on too long.

It won't affect newly issued passports, but it could be an issue for anybody who has a passport that was issued for more than 10 years.

You need to check the .gov link to see if your passport is affected.

passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport
Checked; mine is okay. Previous pp due to expire 16th March 2016 whilst in SW Fl so I renewed June 2015. Current pp issued 29th June 2015 and expires 29th March 2026, a 10 year 9 month validity.
Old 20 Oct 18, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Checked; mine is okay. Previous pp due to expire 16th March 2016 whilst in SW Fl so I renewed June 2015. Current pp issued 29th June 2015 and expires 29th March 2026, a 10 year 9 month validity.
I don't know if you go to Europe at all - but this demonstrates my point.

At the moment the USA will recognise the full 10 years 9 months.
Under new scenarios, Europe will recognise your passport until it is 10 years old only - so up until 9 months before it technically becomes invalid. And if no deal you will need six months left of the valid period on the date of your return.

If you renewed so recently I am sure that all will be resolved for the time you need to renew next - but there is a lot of people out there who won't realise.

My main point is that it seems odd to have 2 different nation states potentially recognising one passport for two different durations. I cannot imagine it is a practical long term position.
Old 20 Oct 18, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I understand now...found it on the GOV website.
But it’s only if we leave with no deal, which I missed first time.
I still confident we will get a deal so hopefully things will carry on as usual.
Old 20 Oct 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I don't know if you go to Europe at all - but this demonstrates my point.

At the moment the USA will recognise the full 10 years 9 months.
Under new scenarios, Europe will recognise your passport until it is 10 years old only - so up until 9 months before it technically becomes invalid. And if no deal you will need six months left of the valid period on the date of your return.

If you renewed so recently I am sure that all will be resolved for the time you need to renew next - but there is a lot of people out there who won't realise.

My main point is that it seems odd to have 2 different nation states potentially recognising one passport for two different durations. I cannot imagine it is a practical long term position.
No, we don't currently visit Europe and concur re practicality with the US/Europe recognising/accepting validity of an officially issued document. I view as; my 10 year 9 month, June 2015, issued pp is valid for European travel but may change whereby the 9 month validity from my former pp becomes invalid. It's a head scratcher as one would assume a UK valid pp is exactly that, valid, as per UK Gov applied expiry date.

Thanks for the heads up Family G
Old 21 Oct 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I understand now...found it on the GOV website.
But it’s only if we leave with no deal, which I missed first time.
I still confident we will get a deal so hopefully things will carry on as usual.
Not strictly true - as it depends what "the deal" is if we get one. If everything 'carries on as usual' why do we need a deal?

If we don't get a deal, then this probably applies, but if we do get a deal and the deal is silent on this? Does this then apply too? Or will the deal have to specify every tiny little thing (it won't) so then what.

Maybe "the deal" will be only changes A, B and C applies, the rest stays as is until we change it...then, as long as this isn't A, B or C...the it stays the same = more than 10 years is ok.

Semantics I'll admit, but it's not as cut and dried as we have a deal or we don't. It has to be we have a deal and it says 'this' (even if the 'this' is 'everything else we didn't mention) or we don't.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List