Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnnyBravo
Helping Mickey

Mobile Late flight, taking chocolate home advice?

So we spent some of our outstanding snack credits on Ghirardelli chocolate, but now have the problem that our flight isn't until 8 o'clock tomorrow night. We check out at 10 in the morning, and planning on doing bag drop at DS after that. Any advice on what we can do to stop the chocolate melting?

Was thinking about putting it in a bag with cold water bottles (no freezer unfortunately) and leaving in the car, not convinced it will work in these temps 😣.
Sheraton Vistana Village - 2015
NYC/SSR/Avanti - 2018
JohnnyBravo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
So we spent some of our outstanding snack credits on Ghirardelli chocolate, but now have the problem that our flight isn't until 8 o'clock tomorrow night. We check out at 10 in the morning, and planning on doing bag drop at DS after that. Any advice on what we can do to stop the chocolate melting?

Was thinking about putting it in a bag with cold water bottles (no freezer unfortunately) and leaving in the car, not convinced it will work in these temps 😣.
I would have thought it would have less chance of melting if you put it in your cases than in the car.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Unfortunately it's chocolate so will melt in most higher temps.
Freezing before hand may work but dont hold your breath.
Personally just pig out and eat it before hand.😁
Old 19 Oct 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post

I have sometime paid for a bag from Ghirardelli can not remember how much but usually if I buy chocolate a couple of days before going home the bag was great it kept the chocolate cool it was like a freezer bag, might be worth buying one it was not expensive wish I could remember the price.

Edited at 03:54 PM.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

We always take the chocolate squares home and other treats from Goofys usually using all our left over snack credits. We just put them in the case and have never had a problem with them melting . Last time we also did a four day cruise and left the cases we weren't using packed and still had no problems with the chocolate.
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I would suggest hand luggage but I am led to believe the TSA are conducting stringent checks on sweets in hand luggage so thats not a good idea.

We only bring stuff back in mid November but even then it's quite hot but if it's in the middle of the suitcases it's fine.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

We had to empty all of the hand luggage chocolate during security. Was a tad embarrassing as we had been to G’s and had so many security cases full of it. It all went through fine and is still being enjoyed.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I almost always have a flight leaving in the evening from MCO. I almost always have bags of Ghirardelli squares and maybe a few chocolate bars in my suitcase. Suitcase gets left with Disney bell services in the morning, picked up in the afternoon, then heads to MCO with me where it gets checked in. Have never had an issue with chocolate melting when I've done this...

But - the above is a situation where the suitcase never gets exposed to the sun and gets stored in a nice indoor room. I would be more worried if it was in a car where the temperatures can get much warmer...
Old 19 Oct 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

We packed it in a cooler bag with a couple of the cheapest bags of frozen veg. all wrapped up in news paper and then in the middle of the suitcase. they survived beautifully.
Old 19 Oct 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We do this and keep them with us in our hand baggage.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List