Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Swapping a FitBit for an Apple Watch

Just looking for some opinions really. I've been a massive fan of Fitbit for a while, but I lost my Alta after going swimming with it by mistake in August, so I am back using my old Charge (which doesn't do HR monitoring or anything).

I'm a member of Vitality and they have sent through an offer where you can get an Apple Watch 3 for £9 or a 4 for £99. If you meet your maximum monthly points you wont pay any more for the watch.

My DH has asked if I'd like a replacement Alta for Christmas, but I'm wondering whether to just go with the Apple watch instead...

I have a few Dibb friends on Fitbit and we regularly do challenges and stuff so I think I'd miss that aspect of it. I also have a Fitbit surge which I use for running - I'd probably stick to that, unless anyone uses the Apple watch for running and can recommend it?

Two questions - is it time to lose the Fitbit and move over to the Apple Watch (I already have an iPhone and we have a Macbook at home).

If so, should I go for the '3' for £9 or the '4' for £99? (Never had a smart watch before so not sure of the benefits).

TIA
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm a massive Fitbit fan and went for the new Versa, it's waterproof so I can swim and shower wearing it and I love the fact I can get notifications from messenger, snapchat, Whatsapp, calendar and gmail (those are the ones I use) What I like about fitbit is all the stats plus the challenges. I've recently started couch to 5k and my Versa is great for tracking that. TBH it's only the challenges that are keeping me with fitbit, if apple supported the app I'd buy a Watch straight away so I'd be interested to hear what others think.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I had an Apple Watch and it was okay, but I didn't use it to its full capabilities, I mostly used it for daily steps and tracking runs. I bought a Garmin about 8 months ago and I love it, so much better than the Apple Watch. I appreciate you didn't put Garmin down as an option, but in my opinion if your focus is on well being, the Apple Watch isn't a great choice.
Old 21 Oct 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've been pondering this very question for a while now, the main reason I won't switch is the limited battery life of the Apple Watch.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post

I had a Fitbit chargeHR for a few years. I liked getting the badges, mapping walks, weekend competitions etc.

Changed to the Apple Watch recently, but I really haven’t sat down and worked out what it can do. It does show me emails, WhatsApp messages and normal texts. I monitor my heart rate and activity on it but not much more so far.

I need to charge it every two or three days which seems ok though me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPrincessJ
Trainee Dibber

I like the Fitbit because of the challenges etc you can do with friends, I've done a bit of research and there is an app called sync solver- health to Fitbit version which allows you to sync your apple health data to the fit bit app! I've not used it yet as I'm waiting for my Apple Watch to be delivered
1999-Florida Flydrive 2001-Florida Flydrive 2013-Florida Coco Key Hotel and Waterpark 2015-Disneyland/California Adventure, Loews Hollywood Hotel 2016-Florida Seralago 2019- Comfort Suites Maingate East 2024- Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista👶🏼👦🏼
DisneyPrincessJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I had a Fitbit One for a couple of years until it stopped working sometime last year. For a few months I actually had a Fitbit and an Apple Watch concurrently, and I realised during those few months that I much preferred my Apple Watch, so when my Fitbit died I decided to just go with the Apple Watch.

That being said, my Fitbit One was incredibly basic, and couldn't do things like GPS, notifications, etc...

So anyway - what I like about the Apple Watch
- Notifications
- Apple Pay (surprisingly easy to do with the watch, especially if my phone happens to be in my bag and it's easier to just use my watch)
- Customisation of the watch face
- When I go running it tells me all the running basics - speed, distance, time. Though I guess the newer Fitbits will do this too (my old one didn't).

Battery life will last me about a day and a bit, but I do need to remember to charge it every night.

Oh and between Series 3 and 4 - I would go for the 4, it looks much nicer and has more display space! I was half tempted to trade in my Series 3 for a Series 4...

Originally Posted by Leyfy View Post
I have a few Dibb friends on Fitbit and we regularly do challenges and stuff so I think I'd miss that aspect of it. I also have a Fitbit surge which I use for running - I'd probably stick to that, unless anyone uses the Apple watch for running and can recommend it?
Ooooh I think I might have been in that Fitbit group last year before I stopped using my Fitbit...
Old 21 Oct 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
... So anyway - what I like about the Apple Watch
- Notifications
- Apple Pay (surprisingly easy to do with the watch, especially if my phone happens to be in my bag and it's easier to just use my watch)
- Customisation of the watch face
- When I go running it tells me all the running basics - speed, distance, time. Though I guess the newer Fitbits will do this too (my old one didn't).

Battery life will last me about a day and a bit, but I do need to remember to charge it every night...
Apart from Apple Pay my Versa does all of the above, it also gives me quite comprehensive running data. There is a version that does Fitbit Pay but my one doesn't support that. I can customise the clock face and change the bands.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Beccleberry
Excited about Disney

After going from Apple Watch to Versa, I love my versa!

Apple Watch is great as you can reply to messages but versa still shows them.

I swaped phone so Watch became useless as such so had to get something else and went for a versa

The versa is very similar to the Apple Watch.

If you think you'd reply using your Watch and that the mickey face is a mud then apple, otherwise I'd go for versa so you can keep your challenges going
Beccleberry is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

I went from a Fitbit flex to an Apple Watch 2.

I love it!
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List