Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Oct 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
muffinmclean
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile- Buy uk sim or one when over there?

Hiya

I was hoping for advice on whether to get a pay& go sim before (and if so, what is the best?)
we go or wait till we are there and maybe buy one from Walmart? We have iPhones that are unlocked.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Edited to add we will only really be using the mobiles to call/text each other in America with the odd call to the uk. Hopefully won’t need to very often but if my mum is at shopping mall I would like to be able to contact her.

Edited at 10:22 PM.
muffinmclean is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Historically we have always used a 3 PAYG Sim, but this year have just upgraded our O2 phones and get the travel built in which we will be using rather than our 3 Sims, but 3 PAYG works great for calling /texting home.
Old 21 Oct 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Next year im goin down the american sim idea.
Old 21 Oct 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Beccas Dad
slightly serious Dibber

3 payg sim.Stick £10 On It,convert it to add-on, you’ll have more than enough minutes text and 1gb of data..which for our needs has been more than enough while in the states for a fortnight.
Beccas Dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by muffinmclean View Post
Hiya

I was hoping for advice on whether to get a pay& go sim before (and if so, what is the best?)
we go or wait till we are there and maybe buy one from Walmart? We have iPhones that are unlocked.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Edited to add we will only really be using the mobiles to call/text each other in America with the odd call to the uk. Hopefully won’t need to very often but if my mum is at shopping mall I would like to be able to contact her.
For such little use what about whatsapp on WiFi - or doesn't your mum use it? I'd train her to if she has a smartphone (I have done this with my mom, and now several of her friends too). I've just switched to 3 so get calls included.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Dont forget which ever way you decide to go, you will need to do the same for everyone in the party you may want to contact because the 3 sim wont let you ring US numbers and some US sim cards wont let you dial UK numbers.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
muffinmclean
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks all,

Yeah I am looking at getting these sims for myself, husband and mum so we can all be in contact with each other

As for getting my mum to use wifi, its definitely something I will be teaching her to do but would like ability to text/call outwith wifi zones if needed
Old 23 Oct 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
uktigg
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Raggyavn View Post
Dont forget which ever way you decide to go, you will need to do the same for everyone in the party you may want to contact because the 3 sim wont let you ring US numbers and some US sim cards wont let you dial UK numbers.
The 3 sim WILL allow you to ring US numbers,
but to do this you have to have extra credit on the account to cover the cost,
as US calls are not included in the addon.
Old 23 Oct 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
karlos3
I want to go now!

Mobile

We are here now, bought usa sims from Amazon £20 gives you unlimited calls worldwide us, uk and 4gb data at 4g speed for 30 days,also have three sim but way slower internet.
karlos3 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by uktigg View Post
The 3 sim WILL allow you to ring US numbers,
but to do this you have to have extra credit on the account to cover the cost,
as US calls are not included in the addon.
Yes, but I'm sure that isn't what the OP wanted but for the the sake of clarity.

To OP if you go for the 3 sim cards and preload credit but don't turn it into a bundle you will be able to call each other, text each other, use data, call the UK and call US numbers which will deduct the cost from your preloaded amount. However be aware that some members of your party may use all their preloaded credit necessitating a top up.

It is however an option to condsider.

The following charges apply to a preloaded sim which has been topped up but not converted to a bunde:

Calls to UK numbers 3p per minute.
Call to US numnbers 140p per minute.
Texts to UK 2p per text.
Receiving Calls and texts - Free
Data 1p per megabyte (up tp £42.50 data roaming limit).
Voice mail 3p per minute.

three/support/roami...ed-states#payg

and you could even Top up and convert some to a bundle and leave some as calling credit.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List