Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
If you do go and see elephants please do your research and try to find a rescue centre. Don’t ride elephants. We went to a sanctuary whilst we are over there and they showed us some horrendous ways that elephants are “broken” to be able to be ridden. Even if it looks like a nice riding centre it won’t be, they shouldn’t be ridden and will likely being abused. Trying to find a centre where you can just experience and enjoy them in their natural habitat.

TOTALLY agree - I get so annoyed when people say they went to a sanctuary and then say that they rode them, or watched them play football or paint a picture. If you can feed them and maybe wash them but no more, then it is probably a real rescue centre ...if you are riding them it’s a tourist trap.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
TOTALLY agree - I get so annoyed when people say they went to a sanctuary and then say that they rode them, or watched them play football or paint a picture. If you can feed them and maybe wash them but no more, then it is probably a real rescue centre ...if you are riding them it’s a tourist trap.
Very true - we didn’t visit any so called sanctuaries in Thailand but did visit a genuine sanctuary in Sri Lanka where the only interaction was to feed milk to orphaned babies and observe the twice daily dip in the river. No shows, rides or performances. Sanctuary is a much abused word.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I went to Bangkok in June and loved it!

My son went to Phucket and KohLanta and also loved it!

The people are friendly and the food is very good! Enjoy it!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Very true - we didn’t visit any so called sanctuaries in Thailand but did visit a genuine sanctuary in Sri Lanka where the only interaction was to feed milk to orphaned babies and observe the twice daily dip in the river. No shows, rides or performances. Sanctuary is a much abused word.
Same, the one I went to in Chiang Mai was incredible. It was the first of its kind in Thailand and the owner Lek does so much education in thailand. It’s lovely to just observe them in their natural habitat enjoying their day, there is no need to ride them. Absolutely beautiful creatures!

Enjoy Thailand, I am so jealous.

Also if you go on iplayer, hairy bikers were in Thailand this week and may give you some food inspiration
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I hope to visit for my first time next June so hopefully you do a trip report.

For those of you who have been can you recommend where to go in june. (7 to 21). I was thinking Bangkok and koh samui and stop over in Dubai for a few days on my way back to Glasgow.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Wow seems like so many of you love Thailand! I’ll definitely come back and update when we are home to let you know what I thought!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Thailand is Fab, especially Chang Rai, but as an Animal Lover we will probably never return. Too many poor strays. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Thailand is my absolute favourite place to go. I like Bangkok and points north. Chaing Rai, chaing Mai and Mai Hong sorn. Have also been to Pattaya which was a bit of an eye opener but fine if careful. Hua hin is much more refined, where the two summer palaces are - really nice train station wierd!
Beautiful temples and long golden beach. A lot of the hotels are large and very prestigious.

The night market is amazing - tuck in, as advised above look where locals are eating with high turnover and you will be fine.

One local "delicacy" I would suggest avoiding is a strange prawn cocktail style pizza with a Marie rose base. Sometimes see thousand Island bases too. Wierd east meets West combos.

Personally not a huge fan of fusion. I tend to go fully east foodwise and my dh stays west. Plenty of both options.

Edited at 06:40 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by myvot View Post
I hope to visit for my first time next June so hopefully you do a trip report.

For those of you who have been can you recommend where to go in june. (7 to 21). I was thinking Bangkok and koh samui and stop over in Dubai for a few days on my way back to Glasgow.
I’d really recommend putting in some time abroad if you are going for that long. I’d do a few nights in Bangkok, fly up to Chiang Mai (cheap flights with air Asia) and then fly from Chiang Mai down to Koh Samui (book with Bangkok Airways as it’s the only airline to fly onto the island).

The north is amazing in Thailand and it would be great to visit. We did the exact above itinerary in June and it was fab, we love Chiang Mai. I didn’t love Koh Samui, it just felt too boring for us (I’m not good at sitting still and sunbathing) so 4 nights was plenty for us but depends on what you fancy! Have fun! If you need any tips let me know!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
If you do go and see elephants please do your research and try to find a rescue centre. Don’t ride elephants. We went to a sanctuary whilst we are over there and they showed us some horrendous ways that elephants are “broken” to be able to be ridden. Even if it looks like a nice riding centre it won’t be, they shouldn’t be ridden and will likely being abused. Trying to find a centre where you can just experience and enjoy them in their natural habitat.

Otherwise you must go to the 7/11s over there. Sounds silly but they are institution of Thailand! Most thai’s will go there at least once a day for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Red bull is particularly popular (although get the 10 baht non carbonated one, the other is imported from Europe and a lot more expensive). You can get some great snacks in the 7/11s!
I agree!

We did loads of research and we went to Elephant Nature Park. They rescue orphaned/abused/injured elephants and have paid £1M for a baby!
They refuse to breed them as it just causes more issues.

I already knew about how they "train" elephants but they show you a video on the way and I couldn't actually watch it, it was too distressing.

We got to give "our" elephant for the day their breakfast then we walked them down to the river where they had a bath, walked on a bit further where we went off for lunch and then we waited for the elephants while we were in the river!
OMG The sight of them coming round the bend towards us just made me cry! It was so magical.

katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List