Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have to work back any bank holidays that fall on my working days so this year I owed a full working week back. I pay it back with flexi hours
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ

Edited at 11:34 PM.
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

If our normal working day is a bank holiday and the store is still open that day(which is pretty much one) we are expected to work it as normal unless we book it as holiday
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
trekkie
Apprentice Imagineer

Where I work if it is your normal shift on the Monday then I have to go in with usual pay I don’t think I get any extra holiday
Old 25 Oct 18, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I work part time, 3 days w-f. I used to job share with a lady who worked m-w. We both got 5 weeks pro-rata including BH
It meant my colleague had less flexibility in when she could take her leave as had to deduct the bh mon’s off her total.
It seemed unfair to us both but HR said that was the policy.
Old 25 Oct 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

In ours they ask for volunteers to work or draft people if there’s no volunteers as it’s premium pay.

If you don’t volunteer/get drafted it goes down as leave.

If you do work the you get the premium pay and the leave added to your holiday card.

Even when it falls on my bank holiday to work the above applies.

I always volunteer to work bank holidays cos i like the money and the extra leave. I don’t always get picked to work them though.

When the building is shut on a bank holiday it’s classed as leave if it falls on you day to work.

I think all businesses are completely different though as my hubby has to work any bank holiday that his shift falls onto and there is no difference in pay as his is annual salary where as mine is not.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Frankie & gang View Post
I work part time, 3 days w-f. I used to job share with a lady who worked m-w. We both got 5 weeks pro-rata including BH
It meant my colleague had less flexibility in when she could take her leave as had to deduct the bh mon’s off her total.
It seemed unfair to us both but HR said that was the policy.
That is exactly the same as ours. Ensures everyone gets the same number of days off - though as you say Monday workers get a little less flexibility.

Though this coming year (I work T/W/F) it evens out a bit - I have to take leave for Xmas/boxing/new year and Good Friday. M/Th/Sa workers have Easter/mayday/Whit/Aug
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

So legally your employer should give you something like 26 days annual for a full time worker, your employer is allowed to count bank holidays in that (so if your office is closed it drops to like 19 days legally or 4 weeks) if that’s the case then if you work a bank holiday you should be given a days holiday back, and if it falls on a non working day employers often compensate this with extra holiday entitlement (so if you don’t work on a Monday you might get an extra 2/3 days AL)
If your employer gives you those 26 days plus, they are well within there right to say you have to use holiday to take them off. - that’s just for Monday to Friday type and part time workers.
Shift work gets somewhat confusing, and tbh I’m sure i was entitled to time off that I didn’t get (the lady who did our Rotas has a nasty habit of giving us the bank holiday Monday off for working the Saturday, so still working full hours with no time oweing, when everyone else in the shop got an extra day off that week)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I've actually always wondered this.

So say I work for a large company who gives 25 days leave per FTE, with bank hols on top.

I'm full time, but I always wondered about part time people who had Monday as their day off, compared to people who had say a Wednesday.

Obviously the Monday day off people would not normally be in on the bank holidays, whereas the Wednesday people would.

Are you saying that the Monday people get less Annual leave than the Wednesday people to compensate?

I've managed staff for over a decade and never knew how this worked
Old 25 Oct 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post

So say I work for a large company who gives 25 days leave per FTE, with bank hols on top.

I'm full time, but I always wondered about part time people who had Monday as their day off, compared to people who had say a Wednesday.

Obviously the Monday day off people would not normally be in on the bank holidays, whereas the Wednesday people would.

Are you saying that the Monday people get less Annual leave than the Wednesday people to compensate?

They shouldn't.

I actually work Mondays and Tuesdays. I work in a health centre where we are open Monday to Friday. Let's say for instance my colleague works Wed, Thurs and Friday. We both have the same holidays inc public holidays, most of which fall on a Monday with the exception of Good Friday and sometimes Christmas day and Boxing Day, New years Day and the 2nd.

So, there are 10 public holidays for us in one year.

I work 2 out of 5 days, I am entitled to two fifths of public holidays, my colleague works 3 out of 5 days and is entitled to three fifths of the public holidays.

When worked out as a fraction 2/5 = 4/10, so I am entitled to only 4 public holidays. Now we close on every public holiday so I have to work back 6 days. My colleague would be entitled to 6 days out of 10 so would have to pay back 4 days.

This would be of course different if the health centre were open on a Monday. If it were open I would just end up working 6 of the Monday public holidays on the actual day. We don't get paid double time or even time and a half for any extra hours worked. Just our usual basic rate.

In theory I should be pro rated with my holidays. In several past years due to staff sickness, I worked quite a lot of extra days/hours. My holidays should have been adjusted to show this ie I should have had extra hours or even a day or two extra per year but not sure if my practice manager is aware. I'm sure there was a case a couple of years ago where the courts awarded against an employer who either hadn't worked out holiday entitlement correctly or was it holiday wages, where if you work irregular hours your holiday pay should be worked out on an average over past 8 weeks, and not just given your basic wage. I could be wrong!

Here's a link to HMRC for a holiday entitlement tool. It's quite good actually gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post

I owe bank holiday hours whereas my job share get credited bank holiday hrs as most fall on a Monday , our annual leave is the same just pro rata. It varies each year for me as you can have between 8-10 bank holidays in our leave year . This leave year I owe 22 hrs back which is a full 3 days ( a week for me ) extra I had to work . I adore it when Christmas falls on a Thursday and Friday which isn’t very often !
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List