Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Mar 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lipz
Earning More Ears

Wifi ?

I hope I have this is int he right section, can't seem to find any information on any other posts.

I'm inquiring about using WIFI when in Orlando. Our hotel has great WIFI, however we find any places like restaurants don't, the connection either never connects or we keep getting the buffering symbol.

I'm in Ireland and none of the phone companies have roaming packages for USA.

I'm a total bird brain when it comes to using Internet when away. We made the mistake of using our phones one year All I want is to be able to connect to the Internet when in areas with no WIFI, is there such a thing that I can buy that I can attach to one of our phones and my son's tablet and be able to connect to the Internet and it not cost a fortune ? or what do others do when away and they need to use the Internet but are in areas with no WIFI ?

What we mainly use it for is apps for UBER , park apps as their WIFI is rubbish. and for my youngest son who is severely disabled to watch a couple of kids programmes that he likes when we are in restaurants, he gets very restless after about 10 mins and having his videos keeps him calm during food time.
Lipz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Can you buy a 30 day sim from 3? You can get 20GB for about £20 and that includes roaming in the US. You only need it for one phone if you are planning on staying together, as you can then turn on your hot spot and others can jump on it
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

three/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

They are pay as you go sims, topped up with however much you've bought them with and then after your holiday you just don't top it up again. Until you need it for your next holiday
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Could you get a T mobile USA SIM card? I think they might be available off Amazon (US), or alternatively T mobile has physical stores including one in Florida Mall where you can buy a tourist SIM card that comes with a decent amount of data to use. You might need to make sure your phone(s) are compatible and unlocked though!
Old 17 Mar 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

I'm sorry if I misread, are you in florida currently? If you are then sky's advice is probably your best bet. Otherwise the UK amazon also has the t-mobile sims.
Old 17 Mar 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lipz
Earning More Ears

I'll be there in just over 3 weeks. We are going back to the same hotel.

3 don't have that offer here, all their pre paid sims are EU only. I'm with 3 and had rang them and they told me there was nothing to cover the USA only EU, but looking at that link for 3 UK that sim would be ideal. I might just see if there is a way around getting it.

I didn't know about the tourist sim in florida with T mobile, would it work in an Irish 3 mobile phone ?
Lipz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lipz View Post
I'll be there in just over 3 weeks. We are going back to the same hotel.

3 don't have that offer here, all their pre paid sims are EU only. I'm with 3 and had rang them and they told me there was nothing to cover the USA only EU, but looking at that link for 3 UK that sim would be ideal. I might just see if there is a way around getting it.

I didn't know about the tourist sim in florida with T mobile, would it work in an Irish 3 mobile phone ?
The t mobile sim should work, as long as your phone is unlocked.

For the 3 sims available in the U.K. you could perhaps buy one and have it sent to a U.K. shipping company that can then send it on to you in Ireland? I do this with US exclusive things, I’m sure there must be a U.K. version.
Old 17 Mar 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Is your phone unlocked? If not you won’t be able to use another SIM. I was relying on WiFi only there in Feb and it wasn’t too bad. When we went to the outlets I had to stand near a shop to get WiFi to order an Uber. Restaurants outside Disney were hit and miss so wouldn’t rely on being able to stream video. Maybe you could download some videos before you go?
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Lipz
Earning More Ears

Thanks for the replies

I never even thought about downloading videos.
I'm such a thick

I could get a UK sim delivered here, how do I get my phone unlocked ?
Old 17 Mar 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Each network has its own way of doing it, you’ll need to look it up for your network or call them. If you are still within a contract with them it may not be possible, but worth a try.

Alternatively you could buy a portable signal emitter. They have some on amazon, but they are very expensive.

I also have seen ones you can rent- this company seems to have ones for £99 a week.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019