Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
2nd Time - SoCal Road Trip - May 2016

Pre-Trip Report
Last year, March 2015, the wife and I headed to California and Nevada for our first West Coast Trip, the first time we had ever been away together (apart from weekend breaks) without the kids or family. Also the first time we had ever moved accommodation during the holiday, which was OK but we could not do single night frequent stops. We did discover that after 29 years or marriage, we did enjoy each other’s company!

We really enjoyed the trip, and in 2016 had been planning to do a New York State driving holiday, in the fall. But last year, due to accumulated Avios between flights and credit card spending, we flew with reward flights Club World to California, and probably have enough left for one Club World reward flight, so after some discussion thought we would make the best of this and use it on the long hop to California again, so decided we would go back in 2016. Our 30th Wedding Anniversary is in June, but we are heading out in May for our special trip to celebrate our time together.

So started looking for reward flights, and on 29th September found some that suited my work dates for leave, and return Club World reward flights booked using Avios and our companion voucher, just had to pay taxes, around £1150 for us both. Flying out 5th May and back 18th May.

In December BA changed our outbound flights, as early morning flight to LHR from Aberdeen had been moved to a later slot and we could not connect to early LA flight, so instead of arriving in LA just after lunchtime, we arrive at 19.20 hrs, so losing a half day of holiday, but also losing a very early morning start, and have a better connection time in LHR so OK for us. When I booked I was still able to choose my seats for free, but had changed status by the time BA changed the flights, and they would not let me choose seats unless I paid £70 each, so just taking the chance we’ll be sat together!

Then headed for the DIBB and the California planning forum again, for some much needed advice.

I had decided we would do LA, probably beach and Universal, were definitely doing a few nights in Palm Springs (guaranteed some sun and not too hot yet in May) and San Diego. Also had to decide whether to go to Grand Canyon South Rim from LA (8 hr drive) for a couple of nights then to Palm Springs, or to give this a miss and head up to Santa Barbara to see the bit of the PCH we missed last year.

Only after booking did I see about Grey May/June when the weather on the coast can get a little cool and overcast, so really hoping we miss this by being there early in May.

Fast forward to Jan 2016, and booked our Hire Car with Avis, Class W Ford Escape, again picking up the day after arrival, pick up from LAX.
Planning to get taxi to our first hotel and used the taxi fare finder site below to check costs, so probably not worth using Uber (which I have never used but kids have in Florida and California and said it’s great) – just yellow cab.

taxifarefinder/main.php?city=LA

Then started the hotel hunt, which I think is to prove challenging – we don’t spend a lot of time in hotels – but like clean and comfortable, and would like to stick to a budget of around £100 per night, but that might prove difficult. Hotel details added as booked shown with the Itinerary below. Looked at Airbnb apartments but still not sure about these.
Our Itinerary

Thursday 5th May 2016 to Sun 8th May
Flight 1 - ABZ - LHR 11.05 - 12.45
Flight 2 - LHR - LAX 16.10 – 19.20 – pretty similar to last year times. We were originally booked to LHR on the 06.50 and on 09.30 LAX flight, which would have gave us a nice afternoon in Manhattan beach, but the 06.50 flight was changed to 07.20 by BA and we were moved to later flights.

3 Nights (2 full days) in Los Angeles

Taxi to Hotel – The Belamar – Pacifica Hotels – in Manhattan Beach – booked through hotwire – selected King Room when booking. Cost £312 for 3 nights, free wifi, no breakfast, parking $10 per night + valet tip. Booked 15/02/16. Non refundable.

I checked again 3 days before travel - price now £447. Checking to see if booking late gets a better deal - it looks like it does not.

Sun 8th May to Tuesday 10th May - 2 Nights – Santa Barbara
Hotel – Brisas Del Mar – close to the Beach – booked through Hotels.com with an extra 10% off discount. Cost £253 for 2 nights, free wifi, free breakfast, free parking. The reviews were all excellent. Booked 17/02/16 – Free Cancellation. I checked the price on Hotels.com again for this 2 weeks before departure and was £450 for 2 nights. 3 Days before departure £335

Tuesday 10th May to Friday 13th May - 3 Nights – Palm Springs
Hotel – Westin Mission Hills Resort – booked through BA – 1 night free and resort fee of $28 per night included, so free wifi, breakfast, parking and use of resort facilities. Cost £279 for 3 nights.
Booked 15/02/16. Non refundable. 3 days before travel, with BA £264. Probably exchange rate change. Definitely some good late deals in Palm Springs.

Friday 13th May to Wednesday 18th May - 5 Nights – San Diego
This has been the biggest headache of the holiday – trying to decide where to stay, and almost impossible to meet a budget of £100 per night, unless taking the most basic accommodation.
We looked at some very nice apartments, and I fancied one in Mission Ho but my wife wanted to stick with hotel, so 3 weeks before departure we booked The Hyatt Regency La Jolla, direct with Hyatt, at a cost of £536 for 5 nights, with car parking at $25 per night on top of this – unless I choose to park on the street – which apparently is an option. This was with free cancellation so was very happy with this deal.
Also no payment taken at time of booking, which is worrying me a little! Used my Costco membership discount code for this. Code is 66267. Price 3 days before departure has increased to £729.

Wednesday 18th will drive to LA, our flights are then
Flight 1 - LA - LHR 21.35 – 16.00
Flight 2 - LHR - ABZ 18.05 – 19.40

So here I am, 4 days to go, as unorganised as I have ever been with holiday planning just as have been so busy at work, so just loading my sat nav with our destinations, wondering if we should do Universal on our first day, as it will be quieter on the Friday than on the Saturday, and still loads to do!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 05:49 PM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 16, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sounds a great trip ahead, I loved San Diego we stayed in the embassy suites la jolla, great hotel. Whole area was fab, enjoy your trip
Lovesholidays is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List