Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Mar 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Re Marin. If you do the Dylans tour (cycling) that includes Muir Woods, then you cycle from Fishermens wharf, past Ghiradellis and over the Golden gate befor dropping into and leaving your bikes in Sausolito. You get a few hours in Sausolito for lunch before a minibus pickup that takes you through Marin (with commentary), up to the woods. After a couple of hours, the minibus then takes you back to either fishermens wharf or chinatown (your choice) along with further commentary.

I agree with others that 4 nights (3 full days) would be about right for San Francisco and then pick up your car as you leave. Parking at our 3 star in Union Sq would have been $75 per night!

Monterey is certainly very good and well worth 2 nights. The Monterey bay whale watch was a great experience and cannery row was really interesting.

The Madonna Inn at San luis Obispo (near Pismo beach) was unforgetable.

you will get an idea on all of the above (with images) on my report 'California N to South at Easter'.

As for the other ideas that you have, others can tell you more than me. It is a shame you are not considering onwards to San Diego.
Cycling not an option with a 16 year old with joint issues and a 10 year old

I did look at San Diego, it's a potential option if we can fit in but I dont want to be rushing a lot just to fit loads in and I expect this isnt the only we'll be doing the west coast.
Thecornflake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Thecornflake View Post
Cycling not an option with a 16 year old with joint issues and a 10 year old

I did look at San Diego, it's a potential option if we can fit in but I dont want to be rushing a lot just to fit loads in and I expect this isnt the only we'll be doing the west coast.
That is a real shame. it was a highlight of our trip and it reviews very highly indeed. Good luck with the planning!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We've done a couple of California trips, each different but all enjoyable. Our favourite was probably San Francisco - LA - San Diego. 4 nights is perfect for SF then onto Monterey for 1-2 nights. Burbank or Glendale are good bases for Universal, Studio tours and Hollywood then drive onto Anaheim for Disney. If you have enough time the drive to San Diego is pretty, we stopped at Long Beach, Huntington Beach and another that I can't remember. Lots to do in San Diego but more relaxing at the end of the holiday.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Santa Barbara is a beautiful town and you get the train from there to LA and onto Anaheim and San Diego. If you go to car free Santa Barbara.com you get 20% off the Pacific Surfliner.

We were priced out of SF last time too for accommodation. We stayed out hear the airport in Milbrae and got the BART in from there. Just double check the transport from the house is convenient. Sometimes they say near public transport on Airbnb and Vrbo but they leave out that you have to transfer or that there’s limited timetables on weekends etc.. we went north into Napa and Bodega Bay. Both were nice but we didn’t think they were as nice as the area south of the city. I wouldn’t pick Marin county over driving Big Sur.

There’s also tours in a vintage VW van that are great. Dylan’s was sold out on our dates so we took the VW with Painted Ladies tours, Dylan’s recommended them to us when we called. Brilliant tour and very different.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Remember airbnb could be good for you or home away.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you are looking at Yosemite for this August you need to book ASAP, most places book up months in advance.
In SF we did the Dylan’s electric tuk tuk tour, it was really good and a great way to see the city in a short time
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
If you are looking at Yosemite for this August you need to book ASAP, most places book up months in advance.
In SF we did the Dylan’s electric tuk tuk tour, it was really good and a great way to see the city in a short time
Oh do you need to book? I thought you could just turn up like visiting a country park etc?
Thecornflake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Thecornflake View Post
Oh do you need to book? I thought you could just turn up like visiting a country park etc?
Not for the park itself but you will need to book your accommodation sooner rather than later. The accommodation gets booked up very early
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi yes yosemite is one of the busiest tourist places on west coast.have a look at yosemite view lodge at El portal.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We'll possibly be staying a bit further out, cant book until end of May