Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 25 Dec 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Iceland boneless turkey crown

Did anyone have one of these so-called "Perfect Boneless Turkey Crown" from Iceland?

Thought I would try it this year after being fooled by the lovely picture in their xmas food leaflet. Unfortunately the whole thing has had to be thrown in the bin. Not a single slice was edible. Despite cooking it for 30 mins longer than instructed, it was raw all the way through and texture best described as "mush". Also when string and skin removed, it just fell apart into 4 mushy lumps. Needless to say it bore no resemblance to the picture on the packaging.

I've kept packaging and have the batch number and photo evidence so will be on to customer service as soon as they open.

Just interested to know if anyone else found the same?
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

That's disappointing.
We had an Aldi crown (a normal one they'd sold out of bronze) and it was really good.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Oh heck! How disappointing. So what did you eat in its place?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

That is not good to hear, hope it didn't spoil your day. I have been getting boneless crowns (well turkey saddles) for a few years now from our local butchers, I cut the net off before cooking and have had no trouble we just end up with a big piece of turkey breast ready for carving. If I ended up with mush I would certainly be complaining.
Old 25 Dec 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

That's so disappointing. We ordered a crown from Morrisons and it was really good. Hope it didn't spoil your day
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Pay £1 or £100 it should be edible.

I would be like you and get a refund albeit that doesn't cover for the disappointment today.

Not to worry, we had a pice of M & S beef that was ok but nothing special.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We had two turkey crowns from Iceland both delicious. Quite difficult to slice well...but not at all dry OR mushy.

So sorry you had a disappointing experience
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by skb 123 View Post
Did anyone have one of these so-called "Perfect Boneless Turkey Crown" from Iceland?

Thought I would try it this year after being fooled by the lovely picture in their xmas food leaflet. Unfortunately the whole thing has had to be thrown in the bin. Not a single slice was edible. Despite cooking it for 30 mins longer than instructed, it was raw all the way through and texture best described as "mush". Also when string and skin removed, it just fell apart into 4 mushy lumps. Needless to say it bore no resemblance to the picture on the packaging.

I've kept packaging and have the batch number and photo evidence so will be on to customer service as soon as they open.

Just interested to know if anyone else found the same?
Had some quality Turkey Brest joints from Lidl. Have to admit to being reluctant to buying but having had a Christmas weekend last week , in which it was superb , did the same again today. I though that cooking from frozen was going to be an issue but it was beyond expectation by a long way. Not expensive, in fact at a price that ensured they have had few of them in stock since last Tuesday.

Feel free to use any of the above in your reply to Iceland, as what you have had is anything but " Perfect" sounds hideous and sorry that they have spoilt your Christmas meal, hope you managed to recover the situation.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 18, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

Yes we had one this year and it was okay, took the net off to cook and it cooked well

The ham we got from Tesco though was grey and rotten with a date of 28th on it. Fuming

Edit: Just went onto Tesco Facebook to leave a message about said ham and there’s a lot of posts about off turkeys, I also out of curiosity checked Asda, Morrison’s etc, and it seems that there’s a lot of turkeys not wanting to play ball this year!

dailymail/news/art...y-turkeys.html

Edited at 12:55 AM.
aladdin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 18, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just got home from evening with family and caught up on Daily Mail horror stories of turkeys from the big supermarkets too.

I'm kicking myself as I had been happy for several years with Aldi frozen crowns (defrosted before cooking). But I guess the promise of boneless and being able to cook from frozen was too tempting.

We did end up having a nice dinner of all the trimmings and I had added pigs in blankets as an afterthought, so at least we did have some meat!

Thank goodness I have a bit of beef in the fridge for tomorrow because that crown was supposed to last us for 2 dinners!

I'll keep you all posted how my complaint goes. Unfortunately I'm not on social media so will have to try conventional route first phoning customer service hotline. How ridiculous that stores are saying to bring rancid turkeys back with receipt!
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List