Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Jan 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Great YT, thanks.

Yes, 2057 OKW contracts seem really hard to get. We would be equally happy to stay at SSR, especially looking at the new room refurb photos. We enjoy spending time at Disney Springs, so both OKW and SSR contracts would work, but the easier-to-get and cheaper 2054 SSR contracts are more attractive.

Lots of discussions to be had with the hubby!
The SSR refurb looks fabulous, like a Grand Floridian type room I think. I'd be very happy staying there when done as walking out to Disney Springs for food on an evening is a huge boon.
Old 28 Jan 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. If we limit our choices to OKW and SSR it makes it easier ref prices etc.

Very similar resorts with a laid back feel and a lot quieter than the Epcot or Monorail resorts in my view. I own at SSR and my Cousin at OKW.
I would stay at either and both have pros and cons.

But, if I was buying resale today and liked them both equally I would go for SSR for 2 reasons
1. Longer contract - than most of OKW
2. No uncertainty ref the mix of contract lengths at OKW

It could transpire albeit unlikely that Disney in 2042 may decide to demolish 4/5th of OKW and leave the rest in situ until 2057. Now we know they wont do that but they could. I like certainty.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Tom makes some good points. Whilst I 'think' it will probably be OK there are some potentially bad scenarios that *could* transpire to those holding longer OKW contracts-

1- Demolishing part of resort or reselling part (now complicated by it potentially being in DVC 2 and you not being able to use that bit).
2- OKW resort run down, and owners of longer contracts having to pick up a bigger portion of the dues (remember a good chunk of them won't own after 2042- who picks all the missing dues up?)
3- Not enough money coming in from dues for refurbs etc- resort becomes run down and Disney are not bothered as its demolished anyway soon.
4- Large proportion of resort becomes cash guest resort, DVC owners become a minority.
5- Suggestion that even if current owners do not agree to the extension, they would get it by default, but would they have any legal obligation to pay dues? Could be a legal minefield.
I am sure there are many other potential risks. How realistic these are is anyones guess- you would hope Disney would keep it tip top, pick up missing dues etc but I am not 100% sure.
It would be on the back of my mind.
I love OKW also BTW, particularly with the refurb.

Edited at 06:45 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

You both have some excellent points, ones I will definitely take on board. All being equal as it stands, OKW would be our preferred location to stay (we've stayed twice before, but haven't stayed at SSR yet), but SSR is definitely the most sound financial location to buy. A "bargain" at OKW wouldn't pass ROFR, so I think we'll concentrate our efforts on SSR. Anything sub ~$100pp seems to be getting snapped up by Disney.

Our first trip in 2020 would be in a 2 bed, the one after that, at a push possibly 1 bed. Having stayed for 10 nights at the Beach Club last year, I can definitely say that the Springs area is much more preferable to the Epcot area for us, and the MK resorts don't appeal, as MK is not top of our parks list either! The more secluded, relaxed resorts is definitely where we want to stay. AKL, whilst was nice, wouldn't be a resort I'd want to buy in to.

On tonight's to-do list: Find and sign up to the most recommended resale sites, and read up on the buying procedure.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

As an aside, has any of the recent happenings affected resale contracts at the original 14 resorts, other than probably not being able to book into the Riviera and newer resorts that I need to factor into my research?

Edited at 07:30 PM.
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

As an aside, has any of the recent happenings affected resale contracts at the original 14 resorts, other than probably not being able to book into the Riviera and newer resorts that I need to factor into my research?
No, the original 14 resorts can (and many believe will always be able to, otherwise they'd have stopped it) trade into the original 14. I haven't seen any appreciable decline in price either.

Get the apps for DVCResalemarket, resalesdvc and sign up to the others' alerts. On DVC Resalemarket you can set preferences and you get a notification when one is posted. There's a lot of new SSR just hit DVCresalemarket, quite a few with last year's points.
Another tactic (one I've used) is buy one with last year's points on (if nearing use year end when you'll close make it a condition they'll bank them into next year so you don't miss the banking window) then rent those excess points out on Davids. So for example there's a 150 pointer on there August use year, with all 2018 points. Remember dues already paid on them. It's 113 a point. Get it for that or say 111, rent the 2018 points and you get it for, say 97 net 14550 plus closing. Much more palatable than the £24000 it would cost direct!
Be prepared for some to be taken ROFR and on worst case assume it may take 6 months.
Old 28 Jan 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Just goth both those apps, thank you

I couldn't see that particular contract on there, but can see a few similar. Interesting looking 130 pointer. I hadn't thought to offset the extra previous years' points against the initial slightly higher outlay. I had a really good experience renting from David's so would have no worries putting any excess points we owned on there.

So many contracts seem stripped of points until 2020, and they still ask seemingly top-whack for them. I guess that's why they're still up on the sites for sale, rather than already snapped up by savvy buyers!
Old 28 Jan 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just goth both those apps, thank you

I couldn't see that particular contract on there, but can see a few similar. Interesting looking 130 pointer. I hadn't thought to offset the extra previous years' points against the initial slightly higher outlay. I had a really good experience renting from David's so would have no worries putting any excess points we owned on there.

So many contracts seem stripped of points until 2020, and they still ask seemingly top-whack for them. I guess that's why they're still up on the sites for sale, rather than already snapped up by savvy buyers!
dvcresalemarket/listing/SSA0673/

There looks to be quite a few on with 2019 points? Are you looking on the app?

Edited at 10:15 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Doh! I wasn't scrolling down enough. That 150 was in the middle of the 160 point contracts. Lesson learned for me there! Think I just need to familiarise myself with all the sites so I know what I'm looking for.
Old 28 Jan 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
howerd
VIP Dibber

Hi Shani,

We have recently bought SSR using DVCsales.com. We had a good experience with them Mark and Lori were very helpful and the prices were competitive compared to alternatives (I believe they mainly deal with international sellers). Might be another one to consider? Hope this helps.
howerd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List