Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Feb 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
toolman
Serious Dibber

Recommendations for things to see / do New York?

Hi all,

Well, it's been a while since I was in here - now that the kids have all grown up and moved out.

So, as we're back to being grown ups - any suggestions, ideas or feedback on things to do or see in New York.
We've got 5 nights booked in the Riu near Central Park and have already booked the walk up the inside of the Statue of Liberty (and have been stepping in the gym :tongue
I would like to ice skate and Mrs T would like the carriage ride in Central Park at night..
Any info would be great fully received 👍😁
Old 23 Feb 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We came back a couple of days ago and had such a fantastic time.
We went up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty. I was worried I wouldn’t manage it and it was a struggle from the pedestal to the crown but so worth it !
The 9/11 museum is a must. Our favourite attraction of all was the One World Observatory. It just took my breath away. We also met a New York Greeter a local who showed us around Central Park. This was free but you have to apply some months in advance. Top of the rock, hop on bus.

Wish we still had our trip to look forward to. Enjoy your planning.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How about a show on Broadway. When we went last June we saw The Lion King. Absolutely fantastic show, well worth the money.

A walk on the Highline, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge.

Give the subway a go. Scared the hell out of us but still an experience!
Old 23 Feb 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
hollypop
Very Serious Dibber

The High Line is a must for me, I loved walking along it in January - did it at sunset and had a great time.

If you're into some more adventurous theatre check out Sleep No More - a British theatre company that's a retelling of Macbeth/Rebecca through dance and music. It's interactive so you wander around a 30s-style hotel and can follow characters or sit and have a drink in the bar and watch the band or just walk around and see what you find... not everything's thing and can be quite intense, but if you're up for an different kind of night I'd highly recommend, they're a fantastic company.
hollypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve been to NYC quite a few times as we went on our first holiday together there then got engaged on a subsequent trip. We always find something different to do.

We like to walk the High Line and we prefer Top of the Rock to the Emoire state building as then you get to see the skyline with the Empire State building! We try to time a visit for around sunset too.

Last time we spent more time exploring Central Park than we’ve ever done before and also visited Brooklyn for the first time.

We did a Chinatown food tour with foods of New York tours on an earlier trip that was good fun. We normally pick some food places to visit before we go. You’ll know there are a range of options for all budgets! Last trip was for my fortieth and we had breakfast at Tiffanys and dinner at the Gramercy Tavern.

We usually have one Broadway theatre trip - it was Harry Potter last time - and have also been to the US Open tennis.

We used to take taxis a lot but now tend to walk or take the subway - it’s easy enough to navigate. We use the air train and LIRR to get to and from the airport.

Edited at 07:29 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
The Sampsons
Proud to wear my Ears

The Sampsons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did the helicopter tour up and down the Hudson which was great as gave us an idea of where everything was in relation to each other. My hubby saw the aircraft carrier and sub museum so as my grown up son was with us we spent a couple of hours in there, which was really interested. We also did TOTR which was fab and of course my treat was shopping in 5th Avenue 😀. Enjoy
2019 Jen Orchardgateway Singapore
The Sampsons is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Radio City backstage tour

very interesting and a magnificent art deco building they actually contemplated demolishing to make a car park...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyjackzero
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Just back from a 7 night stay at the Riu Times Square, it is a lovely hotel and in a great position for exploring. Breakfast was great if you have it included, we pigged out on the fruits and pancakes so that we could skip lunch and have a big dinner in the afternoon. Must have saved us lots over the week because it can be quite expensive to eat in NY.

We crammed as much as possible into the week but the highlight for me was the Horse and Carriage round Central Park.

After reading a thread on here about which companies look after their horses and care about their welfare, we booked online with the company they recommended (nychorsecarriageride). The horse was beautiful and seemed very well looked after, our driver was hilarious and kept us laughing the whole way round the park pointing out all the scenery from movies. He offered to take photos using my phone for me, I have so many wonderful photographs of us all together sat in the carriage and feeding carrots to the horse. Have to say it was worth every penny, I would highly recommend booking online with this company.
Big thank you to the Dibber that recommended it on another thread.

Second recommendation would be to go to the Empire State Building early. We got there at approx 8 AM and it was almost empty, no queue and we could take as many photos as we wanted.

If you like sports, the MSG tour was also great fun. We went on the tour and then to the NHL hockey game that evening. Loved being about to take photos of it empty and then full.

Most of all take comfy shoes, we walked miles!

We had an amazing time, hope you do too.

2001 - Quality Inn Plaza, International Drive
2002 - Travelodge, American Way
2009 & 2011 - Renaissance Orlando
2015 - Disney Beach Club Resort
Sallyjackzero is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
check out frankie leggs on facebook - he does central park tours on a tuc tuc and is so popular

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Try to get rush tickets for broadway, well worth it for the price and the good seats you can get!

Also the Ellis Island immigration museum was really worth a visit.

klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List