Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Feb 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Will there ever be a chance to book at 7 Months out?

We bought into DVC in 2017 and this year is the first year we are using it to go to Orlando, we did use it to go to Hong Kong last year with points that needed to be used up, which worked really well and was completely hassle free. I noticed last month, 9 months before our 10 night holiday at VGF in October that we couldn't book for Studios and 1 Beds they weren't available anymore, thankfully we booked bang on the 11 months mark. We could get a 2 Bed at 9 months but that was 620 points which is ridiculous.

Before purchasing DVC points in 2017 we were advised to buy more points at a cheaper resort (OKW) and book at 7 months out at VGF because 1 Beds will always be available, but there is no way on earth this would have worked for us, why has it changed so much and will we have problems booking at other resorts in future years at 7 months out?

Slightly concerned about this and wondered if people are having much luck booking at 7 months out for October with other resorts? I'm going to start checking next month at other resorts for October but wondered what it has been like in past years?
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I recently posted about my experience for Sept & the limited availability at 7 months, we haven't done a lot of swapping out but when we have it hasn't been a problem & have even had 2 studios on the same booking. That being said, the US economy has changed the dynamic & more people are buying in, if you couple this with the fact that you now don't need to purchase as many initial points (it was 160 when we bought) then you have more smaller contracts being maximised on Studio use. This year could also be the anomaly due to the uncertainty surrounding Galaxy's edge opening & owners sitting with bookings waiting for the announcement.
The "bigger" resorts are near enough always available but time of year has always played a big part in the "smaller" resorts, Oct is slap bang in the middle of Food & wine so the Epcot resorts are like Hen's teeth.
Sd
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We were very lucky and had a choice of one and two beds at WL, Boardwalk and Beach Club for the middle of September at 7 months this year.
However Boardwalk and Beach Club were unavailable for our dates the day after.
Last year we managed to get CC but this year only the cabins were available.
We are finding it more difficult to find something at 7 months at the EPCOT and MK resorts.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

This is our second year of booking with our DVC points as we became members at the start of last year.

Admittedly we go August and not October but last year we booked the Polynesian at 6 months out via a waitlist that came through really quickly.

This year we booked our full 2 weeks at our home resort (SSR) at 11 months and then at the 7 month window we managed to get Grand Floridian and Boardwalk. We're there until the 1st September and so we're hoping that we manage to catch the first couple of nights of the Food & Wine Festival whilst we're at the Boardwalk - just waiting for the dates of F&W to be confirmed.

We bought at SSR knowing that there's the risk that we'd only be ever to stay there (or OKW) but that was fine for us as we love the space and freedom of those resorts. However, at the moment as 'newbies' we're enjoying testing out some of the other resorts too!

Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I managed to get a studio at the Poly in May. However, there wasn’t any availability at BCV despite me stalking the website at 7 months.
Old 28 Feb 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just checked now, 7 days 1 bed at VGF from 1 October is available in standard for a week, and totally open in preferred. Looking at preferred, it’s open all of September, no booked up dates showing in October, in fact is open every single day from April right through apart from 4th and 5th of April. So between 6th April and first week in October I can book every single day? It is also open all of November and December.
I am not sure what you were looking at, maybe certain dates in Standard View 1 bed?
1 bed availibility is usually good, even at peak times there is often lots of choice. Studios, not so much.

Edited at 11:20 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Just checked now, 7 days 1 bed at VGF from 1 October is available in standard for a week, and totally open in preferred. Looking at preferred, it’s open all of September, no booked up dates showing in October, in fact is open every single day from April right through apart from 4th and 5th of April. So between 6th April and first week in October I can book every single day? It is also open all of November and December.
I am not sure what you were looking at, maybe certain dates in Standard View 1 bed?
1 bed availibility is usually good, even at peak times there is often lots of choice. Studios, not so much.
We're going 23rd October to 2nd November (10 nights) during kids half term, there is nothing at all for Studios or 1-Beds over 7 nights apart from a Lake View from Saturday 19th to 28th but this may not be available on 7 months? We wouldn't go for 7 nights, it would always be 10 nights or 2 weeks and this will always be around the time we want to go after trying the August holiday for the first time two years ago and it was either too hot or stormy, so many things got cancelled, every time we've been in October it has been perfect weather wise. I'm hoping it's people thinking Galaxy's Edge will be opening and booking up in case?
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Erial View Post
This is our second year of booking with our DVC points as we became members at the start of last year.

Admittedly we go August and not October but last year we booked the Polynesian at 6 months out via a waitlist that came through really quickly.

This year we booked our full 2 weeks at our home resort (SSR) at 11 months and then at the 7 month window we managed to get Grand Floridian and Boardwalk. We're there until the 1st September and so we're hoping that we manage to catch the first couple of nights of the Food & Wine Festival whilst we're at the Boardwalk - just waiting for the dates of F&W to be confirmed.

We bought at SSR knowing that there's the risk that we'd only be ever to stay there (or OKW) but that was fine for us as we love the space and freedom of those resorts. However, at the moment as 'newbies' we're enjoying testing out some of the other resorts too!

Claire
x
We initially thought about using DVC in August but after going in August in 2017 the weather was so hit and miss for us, some nights the storms were so bad you just couldn't do anything so we ended up sitting in the lobby of our hotel, that's when we decided we would go back to October, we've never had a problem in October. Just seems October is very popular this year hopefully down to people thinking Galaxy's Edge will be opening?
Old 1 Mar 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
October is always popular what with Halloween and the Food and Wine festival.

The monorail resorts and Epcot resorts are hard to book at 7 months but not impossible. You're right that Galaxy's Edge may be a contributing factor too this year so if it does turn out to open later you might get lucky using the waitlist/stalking.

All the advice I've ever seen was buy where you want to stay and with all the extra points floating around now from the newer resorts it's definitely getting harder to book non-home resorts. I'm surprised that the one-beds are so hard to come by now though.

I often book inside the 7-month window and usually get something I'm happy with - I've got the Poly this May booked 5 months out and I've even managed a 2 bed at BCV in the past (through waitlisting)

Good luck!

Edited at 03:38 PM.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lov2dibb View Post
October is always popular what with Halloween and the Food and Wine festival.

The monorail resorts and Epcot resorts are hard to book at 7 months but not impossible. You're right that Galaxy's Edge may be a contributing factor too this year so if it does turn out to open later you might get lucky using the waitlist/stalking.

All the advice I've ever seen was buy where you want to stay and with all the extra points floating around now from the newer resorts it's definitely getting harder to book non-home resorts. I'm surprised that the one-beds are so hard to come by now though.

I often book inside the 7-month window and usually get something I'm happy with - I've got the Poly this May booked 5 months out and I've even managed a 2 bed at BCV in the past (through waitlisting)

Good luck!
Luckily I booked up at the 11 month window so managed to get what we wanted, but, I'm just keeping an eye on the situation in case our circumstances change at all and the dates need to be altered.