Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Mar 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Mobile Los Angeles advice

Hi all,

Upcoming trip will be my third to LA albeit the first time with the wife and kids. I’ll be honest, can’t say that I’ve been impressed by it so far. However I know people that love it. Must say that I’ve only ever done the tourist stuff - walk of fame, rodeo, movie stars homes that kind of thing.

Does anyone have suggestions of things to do in 2 and a half days?

Kids want to go to universal and we do fancy a beach so that’s a day gone. We will arrive Friday morning and leave Sunday afternoon.

Also any suggestions for beaches? We thought Venice and Santa Monica but after watching dear John we thought about having a trip to Balboa Island as that looks amazing!
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Sounds an odd one, but the Ronald Reagan Library in the Simi Valley was absolutely superb. Even my sceptical wife admitted that it was a good call! The best thing is that it has nothing to do with books. Have a google and it might appeal to you.
My trip report, 'California N to South at Easter' has a bit about it also.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:32 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Sounds an odd one, but the Ronald Reagan Library in the Simi Valley was absolutely superb. Even my sceptical wife admitted that it was a good call! The best thing is that it has nothing to do with books. Have a google and it might appeal to you.
my trip report, 'California N to South at Easter' has a bit about it also.
Thank you! We did see this and may pop in on our way from Santa Barbara. Adam the Woo did a tour there and the Air Force one plane really appeals to us!
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

The beaches in Malibu would be my suggestion. Balboa Island is too far imo plus the drive up PCH to Malibu is gorgeous.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

If you're staying near Universal, then you could take some time out in Griffith Park. Plenty of options there depending on your familys interests. Close enough to visit Santa Monica/Malibu too.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Depends on the age of the kids really for beach wise. Malibu is nice, but not really much there at all. Really nice place to go though.

Younger kids would get the most from Santa Monica and the fair on the pier, teenagers if they are into vloggers will associate most with Venice Beach with the skateboard park and muscle beach areas. Young adults would be Venice Beach and maybe Marina Del Ray.

All of those beach areas are reasonably close together and you could cover all of them in about 4-5 hours.

Other things of interest, Griffith Park has been mentioned, the Science Museum with the Space Shuttle could be another sight with takes a few hours.

Are they into their films and TV? There are many filming locations in and around LA. As an example, our DD is into Fast & Furious films and there are around 20 filming locations in and around LA, including their houses, race locations, and a restaurant up near Malibu to join the beach thread.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Santa Monica was nice and our kids enjoyed it, both the beach itself, (they had a paddle), and the stuff on the pier.
We did drive to Venice beach but parking was a total nightmare, couldn't find any spaces, and everywhere we drove around there stank of cannabis, could not drive away from it, so in the end we didn't bother.

Our kids enjoyed looking round Griffiths Observatory, we timed it so we went as dusk was setting in and saw the Hollywood Sign from there, went in the observatory, looked at the astronomy displays in there, then came out to darkness and saw the whole of LA lit up in the famous grid pattern you see in movies from up there. Cool. Also there were astronomers around with huge telescopes giving interesting talks and letting people look through the scopes

Our kids enjoyed looking at Endeavour, the Space Shuttle, but the rest of the Science centre was a bit rubbishy, lots of stuff broken etc
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

One of the nicest days of our holiday was when we were staying in the Redondo Beach area.
We went to Hermosa Beach and hired cycles from Hermosa Cyclery. We had some breakfast first at a really nice cafe around the corner from the bike hire.

We rode along the Strand / promenade to Manhattan Beach. We then parked and locked the bikes, visited the pier and saw the small aquarium. After this we went on the Beach and swam in the Ocean. After hearing how cold it can be, it was actually a really good temperature. (It was August.)

We then rode around some more, returned the bikes and walked along the Strand etc. to Redondo Beach Cheesecake Factory. Fantastic day.

The other whole day in LA area we drove to Knott's Berry Farm and had a nice family day.

We didn't visit Hollywood etc.
Old 5 Mar 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
My trip report, 'California N to South at Easter' has a bit about it also.
Adam the Woo on YouTube goes here, looks great.