Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Mar 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bex272
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Skiing

Looking for a decent ski resort for families with plenty of non ski activity as youngest is 6 and never been before so not sure how many hours per day we will get in. Thinking of Canada but open to Europe as well. Also an idea of cost would be great although I get it’s how long is a piece of string in some respects.

Thanks

Bex
bex272 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We love Banff, Canada.

(We'd love Whistler but its waay too expensive! Friends from work have gone with 2 kids and its over £10K at Easter ))

Jasper is Cheaper than Banff but the transfer is quite long and im not sure theres quite as much to do there.

There are TONS of things to do in Banff - some expensive, some free.
Paid stuff - Calgary Flames Ice hockey, dog sledding, skid-ooing etc
Free stuff - walk up to Banff Springs, evening wildlife walks, learn curling at the ice rink
See a "local" ice hockey match - about £5 each!
Lots of wildlife walks.

We have been to Banff, Jasper, Kimberley and Fernie - all reached from Calgary - but Banff is definitely THE best place.
We said we wouldnt go back again next year after 14 nights there last year - couldn't find a week in Europe for the same price so we're back again next Jan for 10 nights - I looked at Italy but all the hotels I wanted to stay in (modern rather than traditional) came out at the same price for 7 nights as Banff did for 10 nights. OK so they were half board but we like eating out in the evening.

When you cost up your holiday look at ALL the options - Europe can be lots cheaper especially if you drive - but then you need snow tyres etc.
But its Canada for us every time.

x
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
We love Banff, Canada.

(We'd love Whistler but its waay too expensive! Friends from work have gone with 2 kids and its over £10K at Easter ))

Jasper is Cheaper than Banff but the transfer is quite long and im not sure theres quite as much to do there.

There are TONS of things to do in Banff - some expensive, some free.
Paid stuff - Calgary Flames Ice hockey, dog sledding, skid-ooing etc
Free stuff - walk up to Banff Springs, evening wildlife walks, learn curling at the ice rink
See a "local" ice hockey match - about £5 each!
Lots of wildlife walks.

We have been to Banff, Jasper, Kimberley and Fernie - all reached from Calgary - but Banff is definitely THE best place.
We said we wouldnt go back again next year after 14 nights there last year - couldn't find a week in Europe for the same price so we're back again next Jan for 10 nights - I looked at Italy but all the hotels I wanted to stay in (modern rather than traditional) came out at the same price for 7 nights as Banff did for 10 nights. OK so they were half board but we like eating out in the evening.

When you cost up your holiday look at ALL the options - Europe can be lots cheaper especially if you drive - but then you need snow tyres etc.
But its Canada for us every time.

x

What Katie said! We went to Banff in January, after a 9 year absence, and we had a brilliant time - can't wait to go back! Its a great family resort, good for beginners and not too expensive.
Old 9 Mar 19, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
bex272
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
What Katie said! We went to Banff in January, after a 9 year absence, and we had a brilliant time - can't wait to go back! Its a great family resort, good for beginners and not too expensive.
Thank you both, I’ll have a look at the resort, any idea on lift pass prices in Banff as this seems to be the big difference between North America and Europe in terms of cost.

Thanks
bex272 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by bex272 View Post
Thank you both, I’ll have a look at the resort, any idea on lift pass prices in Banff as this seems to be the big difference between North America and Europe in terms of cost.

Thanks
There is something very weird happening with lift prices for next year 🙄
We have booked with crystal ski for the last few years - always really good deals.
This year they still don't have their lift prices available yet (we usually book the weekend they come out in late December early Jan)

So this year we've booked with inghams 👍

6 day lift pass is the minimum - £330 for adults. Were only going for 10 days so have booked 7 days - £360 (give or take a couple of quid)
- you get 2 grace days so we'll ski Thurs/Fri - weekend off - then Mon - Fri.

This is why we booked Banff rather than Whistler... Whistler prices were double!
Jasper sometimes do buy one get one free - it's a great resort but a 5hr transfer and probably not as much to do as Banff.

We tried all the ski companies and Inghams were by far the cheapest. We also managed to get £200 off in the TA when they never usually discount ski holidays as the margins are very small. Price up online and the TA matched it.

We fly Air Canada as they carry skis for free. But I think BA are no longer flying to Calgary in the winter anyway.

All the hotels are of really good standards - pick somewhere closer to town as the walk into town can be very cold at night!
The ski bus is included in the lift pass and stops at all the major hotels (you usually only have a short walk to the next hotel). The system works very well - if the bus is full another one will arrive very quickly.

If we're room only we bring plastic bowls and buy cereal to eat as we're getting ready - first bus is around 730!

Search Banff on the forum and I've put restaurant recommendations etc.

Xxxx
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
There is something very weird happening with lift prices for next year 🙄
We have booked with crystal ski for the last few years - always really good deals.
This year they still don't have their lift prices available yet (we usually book the weekend they come out in late December early Jan)

So this year we've booked with inghams 👍

6 day lift pass is the minimum - £330 for adults. Were only going for 10 days so have booked 7 days - £360 (give or take a couple of quid)
- you get 2 grace days so we'll ski Thurs/Fri - weekend off - then Mon - Fri.

This is why we booked Banff rather than Whistler... Whistler prices were double!
Jasper sometimes do buy one get one free - it's a great resort but a 5hr transfer and probably not as much to do as Banff.

We tried all the ski companies and Inghams were by far the cheapest. We also managed to get £200 off in the TA when they never usually discount ski holidays as the margins are very small. Price up online and the TA matched it.

We fly Air Canada as they carry skis for free. But I think BA are no longer flying to Calgary in the winter anyway.

All the hotels are of really good standards - pick somewhere closer to town as the walk into town can be very cold at night!
The ski bus is included in the lift pass and stops at all the major hotels (you usually only have a short walk to the next hotel). The system works very well - if the bus is full another one will arrive very quickly.

If we're room only we bring plastic bowls and buy cereal to eat as we're getting ready - first bus is around 730!

Search Banff on the forum and I've put restaurant recommendations etc.

Xxxx
I paid £301 for 7 of 9 days for this year, so £360 is a bit of a hike! Our rentals were BOGOF which saved £198 per pair. We booked with Ski Safari.
Old 9 Mar 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I paid £301 for 7 of 9 days for this year, so £360 is a bit of a hike! Our rentals were BOGOF which saved £198 per pair. We booked with Ski Safari.
We tried them for next year but were over £500 more for Jan 20 🙄🙄

That's a good price for lift passses... Crystal are showing £368 for 6 nights for end of march this year. (Like I says they don't even have next year's prices available yet! )

I think the exchange rate isn't helping but I still think £360 for 7 days isn't bad (would have preferred your price though Kate!

I don't think European lift prices are much cheaper for overall value.

You can book your lift passses online too if you want but we've always compared prices and found them to be within a few pounds of each other.

We have our own skiis so can't advise on prices.
What I would say is always go for the top price rentals rather than cheapest. It WILL make a difference!

Xxx
Old 9 Mar 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bex272
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for all in info, a lot to look in to, I’ve had a search on the forum and read more of your posts. We have our own boots but will need to hire skis, is this something you do through the company you book with or direct with resort?

Also have you ever been later in the season? Due to conflicting school holidays April is the only time we can go so I’m a bit worried the conditions will be poor although I have read that the season stretches in to mid may.
Also have you ever do an 2 centre with Banff? We were thinking of a couple of days in Vancouver with whistler but if the lift prices are £600pp I think it will price us out.
I’m trying to get all the info together so I can decide before the flights are released in may.

Bex
Old 9 Mar 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by bex272 View Post
Thank you for all in info, a lot to look in to, I’ve had a search on the forum and read more of your posts. We have our own boots but will need to hire skis, is this something you do through the company you book with or direct with resort?

Also have you ever been later in the season? Due to conflicting school holidays April is the only time we can go so I’m a bit worried the conditions will be poor although I have read that the season stretches in to mid may.
Also have you ever do an 2 centre with Banff? We were thinking of a couple of days in Vancouver with whistler but if the lift prices are £600pp I think it will price us out.
I’m trying to get all the info together so I can decide before the flights are released in may.

Bex
A 2 centre would be Banff and Jasper (7&7) or Whistler/Vancouver (2,3&11/12)

Skiing in Banff is usually good right through to the end of April.
In Banff there are loads of ski hire shops or you can hire at the slopes (but you'll have to make sure you ski at the same hill on your last day.)

It's 45 mins on the bus to Lake Louise and to Sunshine it's 15 mins on the bus then up on the gondola.

Try pricing up for next year through the ski hire companies.
I tried to do it independently for our Jan trip and couldn't get anywhere near the package price 🙄🙄

I'm always happy to book everything ourselves but I find we always do a package for skiiing. You'd have to get a park permit if you hired a car etc.

Xx