Notices

Old 11 Mar 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
The one with the Toddler - Pre-Trip Report

So here we go again, although this time it's going to be slightly different! Not just the 2 of us anymore after 5 WDW holidays together... this time will be with DS Bobby! His first trip to the magic at 22 months old!

So lets get straight to it!

Cast

Mike (34) - Holiday planner and overall big kid at heart! I am the one responsible for booking the holiday, ADR's, FP's (with help from DW of course) etc and usually the one making sure we are up early every morning to get to the parks first thing! Although going to have to rain it in this year and play it by Bobby's schedule! Most looking forward to walking down Main Street USA that first time with Bobby!

Holly (30) - Again big kid, and loves WDW holidays! Last time she went was without me when she met her family in Orlando for a week back in 2016 (after we got back from the West Coast). Holly picks all the restaurants and FP's... I just book them! Plenty of character meals for Bobby... Not Holly, of course. ... Most looking forward to being in WDW with Bobby. Least looking forward to the flight

Bobby (22 months) - Great little character and amazing fun! Had his first experience of Disney in Paris last November and loved the parades and It's A small World. Didn't like the other rides we took him on including POTC and Peter Pan. I think both were a little too dark for him... he was only just over 17 months old! Probably most looking forward to seeing the Magic Kingdom choo choo (He loves Thomas) or the mono (rail). Mickey, Stitch, dragon (FoF parade) and bang bangs (not difficult to guess).

Itinerary

Airport/Flights

06/04 - VS075 - MAN/MCO
20/04 - VS076 - MCO/MAN

We have booked Bobby a seat as didn't fancy having a 22 month old on our laps for the 9 hours. Plus with sitting in economy and unless going right at the back in the rows of 2, we would be sitting next to someone... which I am sure wouldn't be too much fun for them!

So we have row 26 booked on the way out and row 47 (extra leg room behind us). We like to be towards the front, so we can get out early and hopefully into a quieter immigration hall... pot luck I know, but lets hope! As again, I can imagine hard work after a 9 hour flight with a little one!

We also have the V-Room booked in Manchester Airport. Plan to get here between 0700-0730hrs and get a seat near the play area so Bobby can hopefully tire himself out before the 0955hrs flight. Maybe get a little sleep from him after we take off!

Hotels

05/04 - Radisson Blu Manchester Airport (1 night with parking)
06/04 - BLT (1 night Theme Park View Room on DVC points)
07/04 - Port Orleans French Quarter (13 nights standard view with DDP)
15/04 - Cabana Bay (2 nights Volcano Bay View Room)

So I probably have to explain a little about the hotels! Note the hotels that we have stayed in before are POP, ASMu, POR, SSR, Beach Club and Hard Rock hotel!

We love staying in the airport hotel the night before, and although we only live in Liverpool so 30-40 mins away, we find its a great start to the holiday!

Anyway, when we booked the holiday with VH back in April 2017 we booked POFQ with upgrade DDP from QSDP. However, this was a pre-booking and once DDP was confirmed we were changed to POR as there was no availability at POFQ for the 14 nights and only 13 nights from the 7th. We couldn't change the holiday dates as Holly is a teacher and we are stuck to the Spring Break holidays (2 weeks).

Now POFQ was our preferred choice of moderate, although we did like POR! It was mainly because 1. it's smaller and 2. the splash area looks fab for toddlers! We are going to spend a lot more time in the hotel in the afternoons, so great to have this little area for Bobby!

Anyway, we decided in the end to change the hotel booking to 13 nights in POFQ with upgraded DDP and looked to treat ourselves the 1st night with DVC Points. BLT it is, and we look forward to some pool time, QS, trip on the monorail and then watching the bang bangs from the balcony! Plus we had always decided that we wanted to meet Mickey and the gang on our first morning... so what a great way to start with Chef Mickeys first morning before strolling over to MK.

Then finally, Holly bought me Universal tickets for Christmas as I had not been the Universal parks since our honeymoon in 2012... So to make the most of this we have decided to book 2 nights in Universal to do the 3 parks! HRH, PB and RPR were a little too expensive so no FOLP, but Cabana Bay looks great and ideal position for Volcano Bay!

ADR's

Again, this is slightly different to our usual ADR's... we tend to have more signatures and or sit down evening meals on previous trips. But of course with DS, we have decided character meals and breakfasts are the way forward (I so hope he likes the characters... otherwise a change of plans whilst out there, if we can).

So we have the following booked:

Chef Mickeys breakfast - 1st morning to meet Mickey and the gang!
Tusker House breakfast ROL package - a favourite of ours, and gives us the pass for ROL which we have never seen!
FOF dining package Tony's Town Square - eaten here once, and have decided to book again to hopefully get good view of the parade for Bobby!
Storybook Dining dinner - Really looking forward to this, and again another character meal! We love Wilderness Lodge!
Garden Grill lunch - Again another family favourite!
Crystal Palace breakfast - Family favourite and we have an early ADR before park opening!
Teppan Edo - Love Japanese food, and hopefully the chef entertainment will keep Bobby well... entertained.
Be our Guest dinner - Last night of the holiday! Eaten here before but only lunch.
Ohana breakfast - last morning of the holiday and Bobby gets to meet Stitch (his favourite).

Also planning on getting a Landry card for T-Rex and Rainforest so we can have a bit of flexibility with these ones... not too sure if I have left it too late though

We have a lot of buffets or family style meals where Bobby will get his own plate and will be plenty for him. No problem with paying OOP for meals for Bobby depending on how he is!

Fast Passes

Nothing too exciting on the fast pass side, as we have booked most for Bobby! Had no issues getting what we wanted (as you can imagine)... we have 2 x FP's for FOP and 1 x FP for Slinky Dog.

We plan on doing very little rider swap (if any) as we want to do all of the rides together! With exception of the 2 mentioned above as neither of us have done these... however, we have booked a FP each for these so will have to ride alone!

Think I also may have Mission Space booked... which I love... as does Holly (she doesn't like it and won't ride) as she just goes crazy in Mousegear whilst I am on it!

Other stuff

Not much to tell here really... but we are planning on just taking it easy and taking it all in with Bobby. We are going to take it at his pace and spend most afternoons back at the hotel, hopefully at the pool!

We are doing all WDW parks including WDW water parks with most time spent in MK, then AK, some time in Epcot and finally I think 1 evening in DHS.

Then we are doing all 3 Universal parks and the outlets whilst up that end for the 2 nights/3 days!

I am sure i will think of other things and will add them to this report, but if any questions please ask!

Will be doing a full report when I get back... and hopefully some sort of VLOG!
Old 12 Mar 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Looking forward to your report and Bobby’s reactions to the experience this time around. Have a great holiday - not long to wait!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Looking forward to your report and Bobby’s reactions to the experience this time around. Have a great holiday - not long to wait!
Yes we are really looking forward to seeing his reactions and basically seeing it through his eyes again. He seemed to really enjoy looking at everything in DLP but the weather wasn’t great to he spend a lot of the time in the pram with the cover on... hoping for nice weather in Orlando in April!
Old 17 Mar 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

As an update... we have bought our dollars this week and also been out shopping today to get toiletries and little bits.

Good day out in Cheshire Oaks.

We have now put all the clothes into packing cubes and basically packed two of the cases!
Old 18 Mar 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma2288
Very Serious Dibber

Will be following along as we are taking our DD for the first time this year too who will be a similar age to Bobby!
We have booked a lot of the same ADRs as we hope she will like the characters. We are thinking she will be up quite early too so we will have time for breakfast before park opening!

Are you taking your own travel cot for Bobby or are the hotels able to supply one? This is something that I'm trying to look into at the moment!
Emma2288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

We are off at the end of April with a 26 month old so a few questions...

Are you taking a car seat/hiring a car? If so which car seat have you chosen?

How are you planning to entertain Bobby on the plane? Is he wiggly and how will you keep him in his seat for take off/landing?

Looking forward to seeing your trip report
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
Great start! Looking forward to following along.
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Emma2288 View Post
Will be following along as we are taking our DD for the first time this year too who will be a similar age to Bobby!
We have booked a lot of the same ADRs as we hope she will like the characters. We are thinking she will be up quite early too so we will have time for breakfast before park opening!

Are you taking your own travel cot for Bobby or are the hotels able to supply one? This is something that I'm trying to look into at the moment!
This is our thinking also... Bobby was ok with the characters in DLP so hoping for more of the same in WDW.

Disney Hotels will be supplying a cot. We have requested one. Taking our own bedding etc though.
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rabel View Post

How are you planning to entertain Bobby on the plane? Is he wiggly and how will you keep him in his seat for take off/landing?

We are not hiring a car and will be using Magical Express to/from airport, and likely Lyft for transport to/from Universal. They supply car seats.

So we have bought a travel pack from KeepEmQuiet with books/toys etc in. We have also been picking up a few things anyway to add to this, and the idea is to give him something to open at least every hour to keep him occupied. We also have his amazon fire... plus hoping he may sleep for some of it.

He will be on DW lap for landing and take off.
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lesleyjane66
Excited about Disney

Even though they can have their own seat, as far as I know if they are not in a car seat, they have to be on your lap for take off and landing We took our grandson in 2017 at 18 months on our lap, but there were 4 of us to share him

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post

lesleyjane66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List