Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Mar 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I thought i lost my credit card in USA and cancelled it on the App (card then turned up) i couldnt re-enable card on the app, so we had to make do with our Fairfx cards i had, i hadnt really planned on using them too much, but it worked out really well transferring cash when needed on to card, we also had other cards but not with great exchange rate like Halifax Clarity! Perhaps a currency card would suit you too? I managed to get mine on a groupon offer too, so got a few extra $$$$s!
Got a FairFX too. Just not sure yet how much is actually have to transfer onto it. Depends on how much this blinking house costs
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Tried to go through it last night
£5000 ($6000 roughly) on the credit card should be enough right? Then I have $1000 cash so hopefully that should be enough.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you only have $1000 cash and the rest of your spending will be put on a credit card of upto £5000?
Each to their own but I don’t think I’d be relying on a credit card for holiday spending, if I didn’t have the funds then I’d be sticking to what I did have or wouldn’t be going. I certainly wouldn’t be getting into £5000 for debt for holiday spending, maybe I’ve misunderstood
familybell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by familybell View Post
Maybe I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you only have $1000 cash and the rest of your spending will be put on a credit card of upto £5000?
Each to their own but I don’t think I’d be relying on a credit card for holiday spending, if I didn’t have the funds then I’d be sticking to what I did have or wouldn’t be going. I certainly wouldn’t be getting into £5000 for debt for holiday spending, maybe I’ve misunderstood
we rely totally on credit cards for holiday spending and then pay them off when we get home... Credit cards offer a protection that cash does not, and are not directly liked to the account we pay our mortgage from, so if anything goes wrong and it is on a credit card the bills still get paid.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Relying on one card for spending ... if the card got cloned or stolen and the bank had to cancel it , what is your back up ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
we rely totally on credit cards for holiday spending and then pay them off when we get home... Credit cards offer a protection that cash does not, and are not directly liked to the account we pay our mortgage from, so if anything goes wrong and it is on a credit card the bills still get paid.
nothing wrong with that, but the way I read op post they weren’t doing this

As I said maybe I’m misunderstanding
familybell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Relying on one card for spending ... if the card got cloned or stolen and the bank had to cancel it , what is your back up ?
I have another credit card for just in case. Also have the normal bank cards for cash if I have to drawn some out. It’s not attached to my mortgage that one so little bit safer in case I lose it.
Old 14 Mar 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by familybell View Post
I get you on this one. Nearly everything is all paid up apart from spending money. The original plan was that we were using the credit card as it was easier over there then paying it off in full as soon as we got home. What I didn’t plan for when we booked this holiday in June last year was moving house. So there has been a lot more expenses than I budgeted for. All my holiday is paid up tho so not going to lose all the money I’ve already paid off. Will just stick it on the credit card. Shouldn’t even take that long to pay off credit card anyway as my wage is spare so shouldn’t take that long to pay off. I hope. Just wanted to make sure I had enough on the card to cover me. I really don’t want to end up spending that amount and I am kinda hoping that it will be like last time we went when we eat breakfast and dinner but lunch no so much just snacks. But it’s been years and we’ve got the kids in tow so no idea how it’s all going to turn out. Just never wanna be stuck abroad with no money. I tend to worry a lot
Old 14 Mar 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

The joys of moving house eh, so many expenses

You can eat quite cheaply off site, chillis do a 3 for $10, appitizer, main and drink
My kids loved cicis pizza, so cheap especially if you pick up vouchers for bogof
If you sign up to restaurant website they’ll email you vouchers, you can still ha e a great time and eat well without spending a fortune

Have a great time
Old 14 Mar 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

I don’t think you need as much to have a great time. We tried to keep to around $120 per day last year and that’s for 4 of us (all adult sized meals). We didn’t have any table service meals though, and mainly had free iced water which we prefer anyway to the fizzy drinks. We stayed onsite so never had parking costs but you could set the money aside for that before you go. Fuel is pretty cheap, we flew into Miami but even then I don’t think we spent that much. If your kids are small and it’s your first time you will probably do a fair bit of shopping but even then you can save a bit by buying toys, etc at the Disney outlet store or Walmart. We had breakfast in our room but if yours is included at your hotel you could have a big breakfast and then a lighter lunch.

I do think sometimes there are a lot of posts regarding expensive meals and spending a lot of money while there but it doesn’t have to be like that, you can still have a brilliant time while spending less. We are going this year and will be aiming to spend around the same on food - it’s definitely doable on a smaller budget.
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List