Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Mar 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

We lost our son when we went a few years ago (he would have been 9ish) and had wandered off to put his rubbish in the bin! I'd already said that if he lost us to go straight to a cast member and shown them his lanyard which had mine and my husbands mobile numbers stored in the pouch section. We spotted him talking to a cast member a few minutes after so he'd followed our instructions

We'll be taking walkie talkies with us this time and my 2 boys will have 1 each and I'll keep one - if they get lost we'll turn the walkie talkies on and hopefully locate each other if anyone gets lost
123TOPAZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Years ago we lost DS in World Showcase. If anyone remembers there were live booking booths dotted around. We had stopped at one and booked a meal, son obviously thought this fascinating and was found chatting to a Cast Member who had kept him talking and given a description to another CM who collected him and brought him back to us!
Old 14 Mar 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Zacknkeirasmum
Dancing with Tink'

Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Do you really need to put your contact details on your kids? Surely you will notice that you have lost them? The just go to a cast member who will be able to tell you whether they have found your kids or not.
Absolutely yes, they will be 9 and 6 and I wouldn't expect them to remember our phone numbers but if they go to the nearest shop/cast member they can ask them to call us. I'd like to think we would have noticed them missing and would be looking for them anyway but surely if whoever's they go to has contact details it makes life easier? Xx
Zacknkeirasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Zacknkeirasmum
Dancing with Tink'

Mobile

Thanks everyone quite a few ideas to take on board. I remember getting lost in Marks and Spencer in llandudno of all places and they called the police. The policeman walked me to the police station and my mum had to pick me up from there. I'll never forget that feeling of panic, I'd hate for my kids to feel like that xx

Zacknkeirasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

I take a photo of him when we arrive at the park. Just in case I panic and forget what colour top he is wearing if he did get lost.
I have told him to find a member of staff. Thankfully we never lost him and he was younger than your 2.
I think once they are old enough to say I'm lost and my mummy/daddy/granny is called...
It makes it easier.
Wouldn't ease your panic though!
Old 14 Mar 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Not sure of the ages of your kids but it could be worth pointing out what a cast member looks like the first time you go in a park, and how they can tell they are staff by looking for a name badge etc.

I will never forget the absolutely heart wrenching panic in the voice of a dad searching for his kid in The Deep in hull. He went past a couple of times shouting but must have found her as they didn't shut the place down or put out an alarm. So many ways for little ones to get distracted and wander off in a place like that!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by xcited View Post
I think Disney are well rehersed at lost children or lost parents. Tell your children to go to the nearest Disney cast member and they will be looked after. If your that worried take a photo of them each morning, so you've got a photo of what they are wearing, because you won't remember in a panic. I think you can get wristbands that you can put your contact details on. When we were there some families all wore the same outfits like Hawaiian shirts, that made then easily identifiable.
Good idea about the photograph! I lost my little boy (age 3) at Gullivers World 10 years ago. When security asked what he was wearing and continued to say “don’t worry, no one will get out the park with him” I just panicked and went completely blank with fear (tearing up just thinking about it). He was found about 10 minutes later by a young couple. I turned my head for a second! The fear I felt during those 10 minutes was horrific ... I’ve not lost any of them since that day lol 😂 but it can happen, and only takes a second.

Also, just to add, people are amazing when a little one goes missing. Everyone around me started looking for him straight away. All taking different routes to cover all directions.

Edited at 06:34 PM.
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JK's Mummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We lost our ds who has ASD in typhoon lagoon, the lifeguard I told was worse than useless and he just pitched up after half an hour in the kids area (where we had been sitting) longest half hour of our lives! We left oldest ds on our sunloungers and said if he came back to ask a grown up to help strap him in his pushchair and me and hubby looked for him. Luckily a lovely lady looked after him when he turned up and didnt let him out of her sight until we returned. I wasn't concerned for his safety regarding the water but was so panicked that someone would take him, also due to his autism he wouldn't have been able to communicate to anyone that he was lost.
JK's Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I'm sure I read somewhere to get them to stand on something like a bench or wall so they were higher and more chance of being seen. The only thing I can see with that is I wouldn't necessarily want the wrong sort of person to know a child was on their own!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
This still worries me even today with teens, when we go into a park we always agree a spot to go to if we get separated, obviously you cannot do this with little ones but there have been really good suggestions.

I remember being in MK on Xmas eve a few years ago and it was scarily busy so dh held tightly onto my son and I held onto my daughter even though they were 14 and 12, being in those crowds when you are only waist height must be quite scary!
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List