Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 14 Mar 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pixie24
Getting Excited

Thoughts on Best Moderate?

After two trips staying offsite we are thinking onsite for May 2020 . My question is one that I am sure has been asked many times before and I am sure there is no definitive answer but I would like some opinions on the best moderate. It’s just for me and my DH, no children. This time we will not be hiring a car and thinking of using Uber to get to Universal etc. but onsite transport to the parks. Last year we stayed offsite but visited POR and liked the theming etc. but willing to consider all. We would like somewhere good to eat, nothing fancy but I am a coeliac so anyone with experience of this whilst staying onsite would be good. I really would be grateful of any input please, as we seem to be going round in circles atm, there seems to be quite a bit of advice for families but not so much for a middle aged couple! . TIA.

Edited at 06:53 PM.
Pixie24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I'm a solo traveller - currently 55 but was 54 when I stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter last year. I fell in love with it as soon as I walked into the lobby. It's a beautiful resort, lovely rooms, great pool, decent food court and best of all for me - it's small. Everything's close together and there's only one bus stop.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

I can testify that POR is great, absolutely loved it, stayed in Magnolia Bend (mansion room but not princess themed as I am a grown man lol).

That said next time it's Coronado Springs for me. After the refurb it's already considered a moderate with deluxe amenities. And as it's also a convention centre, it has a more adult vibe which I like.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed in POR august just gone and whilst lovely we prefer CBR beach theme.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

Not sure if I’ll be much help but ... stayed in POR when it was Dixie Landings and loved it! We liked the theming and the food court is amazing! Stayed in Coronado Springs and loved it! Again loved the theming and although wasn’t too impressed with the table service restaurant everything else was great. However, my DD and her hubby stayed there in September 2014 and although they also loved it there was a Cheer Leaders competition on and they found getting transport first thing in the morning a bit of a pain! My first solo trip in 2017 was at POFQ and this is my favourite moderate! The theming is stunning, the food court is great (chicken in a biscuit was my favourite), it is the smallest Disney hotel which only has one bus stop which is in easy walking distance from all of the rooms! Loved it so much I’m going back in 7 weeks!
Old 15 Mar 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Staying at POR in May, so pleased to see the above comments. I have also stayed at POFQ and loved that resort and for a couple I would say it’s perfect. It’s a small resort with a more intimate feel.

I understand that the foodhall at POR is far better than POFQ but as I’ve only experienced the one, I can’t really comment but logically as a bigger resort I suspect it has a wider choice for a wider range of people’s.

My other recommendation is not a moderate but Saratoga springs, which is my all time favourite. We walked to Disney springs from there, lovely calm feel to it, some resorts, to me, feel a bit frenetic.

Enjoy whatever you chose
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Can’t compare as only stayed at POR and staying at POFQ this April.

But Port Orleans has always been the only option for us in way of a moderate. We like the theming and surrounding, and the fact that you can get the boat to Disney Springs is always a great option.

CSR May be a good option once the works are completed with the new dining and bar options. However, still remains a big convention resort.

CBR has never appealed to us.
Old 15 Mar 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

We loved Coronado Springs, the refurbished rooms are beautiful and the resort has more of an adult feel to it.

We are trying POFQ this year to see how it compares.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We are going to POFQ- the small size appeals- however if you have a car and no kids- a resort with a quiet pool may suit you better- like POR
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather View Post
Not sure if I’ll be much help but ... stayed in POR when it was Dixie Landings and loved it! We liked the theming and the food court is amazing! Stayed in Coronado Springs and loved it! Again loved the theming and although wasn’t too impressed with the table service restaurant everything else was great. However, my DD and her hubby stayed there in September 2014 and although they also loved it there was a Cheer Leaders competition on and they found getting transport first thing in the morning a bit of a pain! My first solo trip in 2017 was at POFQ and this is my favourite moderate! The theming is stunning, the food court is great (chicken in a biscuit was my favourite), it is the smallest Disney hotel which only has one bus stop which is in easy walking distance from all of the rooms! Loved it so much I’m going back in 7 weeks!
I'm the other way round - stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landings and didn't like it. However when there I took a stroll to what was then then Port Orleans and is now POFQ and thought it was lovely - I decided that I'd stay there one day. That was in 1997. Last year, 21 years later, I finally did so! I took the boat up to POR for a wander to see what I thought of it and still didn't like it.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List