Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Mar 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
We are skipping Disney this year for a more relaxed trip, we’ve paid just over £3k for direct flights with BA, 2 weeks at Rosen Shingle Creek, 3 nights at beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale for 2 adults and 2 children (school summer holidays).

Booked Discovery Cove + Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens package in Blue Friday sale separately.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
corey1
VIP Dibber

It's possible to do a budget trip if not doing Disney. We have stayed on i-drive before and just doing universal and SeaWorld and had a great time. It was possible to get flights around £300 each for July this year. Lots of hotels have suites with breakfast and shuttles to parks which reduces costs and need for a car. Lots of good value places to eat also on i-drive
corey1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellibop
Excited about Disney

Toonarmani - was that £3k for the flights, or flights + everything else..?
Ellibop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It only gets expensive when you go to the various parks as it is the cost of the ticket.
However if you price up the cost of a beach holiday in Florida vs Europe what is the price difference
Old 16 Mar 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We have never stayed on site, and have'nt visited Disney for the last 5 trips.
We have in the past bought Aquatica annual passes and used Aquatica like a beach holiday Parking is free when you have AP.
We take our own food in ( Aquatica website tells you exactly the size and amount you can take in, if you stick it you can have a very cheap day.)
We buy snacks from Aldi
We sign up for discount codes for restaurants
Limit shopping --Do we need it or do we buy it as it is in the USA?
We have had masses of trips outside Orlando and have seen so much of the USA including lots of Florida.
In the next three weeks we will be in Fort Myers on the coast for a week bypassing Orlando all together this year.
We still price up Europe, and the USA can be expensive when factoring in car hire etc
But we have are fortunate to have a lot of holidays and never take them for granted It will probably be Europe for us next year and give the USA a miss.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We did an everything (almost) trip last year , stayed at the Boardwalk then moved to a villa then did a cruise and also got married.
This year is showing my husband you can do Florida without spending a bomb.
I think the trick is not to view it as a "downgrade" or second best to doing a Disney holiday but view it as an entirely different type of holiday as if I Drive was nowhere near Disney geographically so you aren't playing the comparison game.
We are staying on I Drive have Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch Garens with the Discovery Cove add on and have a couple of nights booked in Tampa. After that we are going to southern Florida for some beach time.
It's just a different sort of holiday, less crowded, no need to prebook meals or make touring plans . Lots of good food choices on I Drive at far from Disney prices , I'm really looking forward to it . It'll be far more relaxing as each day can be as busy or relaxed as we choose . I do find on site to be a bit relentless at times !
There's so much more to Florida than just Disney !
This! We're pricing up 10 nights off site at Lake Buena Vista resort coming in around 700pp Inc flights and car. We just can't get excited about the equivalent cost holiday in Europe any more

But seeing it as a different holiday and a chance to do the things I would feel are a 'waste' of a park ticket day if we were staying at Disney, but that I enjoy loads too!

But appreciate its harder in school hols!
Old 16 Mar 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Ellibop View Post
Toonarmani - was that £3k for the flights, or flights + everything else..?
Flights and both hotels.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JakesArmy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We managed a bargain trip last year because we already had annual passes for universal. We only did MNSSHP we didn’t buy the full 14 day Disney tickets. We bought seaworld/aquatica instead. Disney puts the price up way high but need our Disney fix this year!
JakesArmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post

We are 2A,1Teen, 1C - have booked July/Aug Delta/Virgin indirect flights LHR-NY/Tampa rtn + SUV car hire £1,500 and £900 villa on Gulf Coast for 2 weeks (sharing with family so paying half cost) cost is £2400 between 4 or £600 each. Not doing Orlando or their theme parks but may do a 1 or 2 day Busch gardens.

We often split it 1 week Orlando 1 week Gulf coast so can limit park costs. I don't add food or fuel as would cost the same to be at home (food more expensive & fuel cheaper in FL). Maybe eat out more on hols but not every night.

We do it this way as we can afford to go more often. We hate doing theme parks all day every day. We enjoy the weather and beach and a relaxing time. And find Florida cheaper than doing Europe most times. Except we did a few really cheap hols to France and not enjoyed it as much - accom was poor or too expensive, French hated us, and found language a barrier! Florida every time for me!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
doodles
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
We are skipping Disney this year for a more relaxed trip, we’ve paid just over £3k for direct flights with BA, 2 weeks at Rosen Shingle Creek, 3 nights at beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale for 2 adults and 2 children (school summer holidays).

Booked Discovery Cove + Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens package in Blue Friday sale separately.
Hi Toonarmani, when/what is the blue Friday sale?
doodles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List