Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Mar 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fantasiax View Post
Thanks Animagus for your good wishes and the recommendation for the cover. I had assumed that if he can fly that he wouldn't be able to swim or get wet. Will definitely get one of these if he can go so he doesn't feel he is missing out too much and we have Discovery cove booked.
They are brilliant. You put on the rubberised cover and then remove the air which vacuum seals it. Our DD swam underwater as well. She was in the pool every day for a week. If I remember, the maximum time you can keep it on is 45 minutes then you need a 20-30 minute break. Really hope it all works out for you and your DGS.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
DS fractured his Humerus when he was 10. They couldn’t use a cast for that area. He wasn’t in huge amounts of pain from the outset but within 2 weeks he was able to swim and do exercises without pain. Children certainly do seem to heal quickly. Keeping everything crossed for you xx
Thanks joanna 23 for your good wishes. I am keeping fingers crossed that he wont need an op to pin the arm and that it will heal quickly. Still staying positive that we will still be able to go.
Fantasiax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
I used a limbo when I broke my arm - can thoroughly recommend

limboproducts/?gclid=E... AEgLmEfD_BwE
Thanks for the link Clamshell. Its good to get a recommendation from someone who's used the product. I will get something ordered so we are prepped and ready to go!
Fantasiax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
I've got no experience in this area thankfully, apart from the usual worrying that it might happen to us one day! Closest we've come so far was with flights booked New Years Eve. Baby born mid October. In our preliminary conversations about options, they said the pregnancy was apparently a "pre existing condition". We got to travel so fingers crossed for your party.

As well as those thinking poor kid for his physical suffering, I'll add sympathy for his mental state as he's also going to get a right ear bashing from the adults reminding him every 30 seconds to be careful.

Also when considering a waterproof cover, remember you might be dealing with sudden rain storms, so bear that in mind as well as things like showering/swimming. You might want something that's pretty much permanent.
Thats a good point about the rain storms Thorpy, thanks.
Had a chuckle about the earbashing to be careful as we were already doing this at the hospital shortly after the op when he was standing on the bed leaning over the head of it to show how the light switch had a special setting called dim
Hopefully we will be able to avoid those conversations with the insurance company and will be on our way to Florida!
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by lesleyjane66 View Post
my daughter broke her arm four days before we went to Ibiza, both bones and they had to be pinned, the plastic bag contraption thing leaked and her pins got infected. it was hot and itchy too.
I presume most rides would be out of the question ?
If it was me with hindsight if its not too expensive I'd delay unless there are no pins
Oh no, lesleyjane66 that must have been awful.
He probably wouldn't go on the biggest rides but theres no doubt it would be restrictive. Hopefully he will avoid having to have it pinned but we won't know that until it's x-rayed again this week. Not sure sure what happens with free dining if you have to reschedule.
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
You need to speak to both insurance companies in case the worst happens and you can't go. It may be that the other party have no recompense as they are not on your policy. Although you may be able to recover your part of the payment and pass it on to them to cover the whole cost
Thanks FlorayG. Not exactly sure how it would pan out with insurance if you have a joint booking. I am hoping it wont come to that and will all go well but I am trying to be prepared in case we have to cancel.
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by Claire020877 View Post
I broke my wrist while in Florida . It was a bad break and needed an operation to straighten and put a plate in - if they do that then a cast is not put on - it's put in a removable splint - the day after my op I had a fit to fly certificate. It can be done and there are lots of rides I still went on - just not the big ones. It's the waterparks that are the biggest pain as you can't go on anything there! Hope you get sorted out!

Claire
Thanks Claire for the information especially about the removable splint and that you got your fit to fly the day after. He will be disappointed about the water parks but we are a larger party so could probably organise alternative trips on water park days.
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
They are brilliant. You put on the rubberised cover and then remove the air which vacuum seals it. Our DD swam underwater as well. She was in the pool every day for a week. If I remember, the maximum time you can keep it on is 45 minutes then you need a 20-30 minute break. Really hope it all works out for you and your DGS.
This does sound brilliant, even just to allow them to go in for a spalsh around to cool down. Thanks for your good wishes Animagus. So much helpful advice and positivity from Dibbers!
Old 20 Mar 19, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
T.jenni
Excited about Disney

Mobile

This happened to us although we had a little more time, rides in Disney were all fine bit seaworld and universal were a different matter, the websites have more information on which allow a hard cast
T.jenni is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by T.jenni View Post
This happened to us although we had a little more time, rides in Disney were all fine bit seaworld and universal were a different matter, the websites have more information on which allow a hard cast
Thanks for that T.jenni. Not doing Universal this time but we do have the Ultimate ticket as part of Discovery Cove so will have look on their website.