Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Mar 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
wellbehaved
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks for the recommendation.

we have a couple of food tours planned so needed ideas for nights.

Pam
wellbehaved is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been twice and we didn’t have any problems but in one cafe a waitress came over and asked us all to take our bags off the floor and off the chairs and put them in front of us as some people had walked in and she didn’t want anything going missing.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Been twice off a cruise and gladly not had any issues, but of course we try and keep our wits about us! A money belt for anything valuable is a good idea, and keep handbags clamped under arms. Even a cross body bag is vulnerable to having the strap cut so just keep a hand on the actual bag. Can honestly say I've felt more on edge in London than Barcelona though.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Never felt unsafe in Barcelona and we’ve visited several times. I’m always cautious with my bag anyway and have a crossbody so my bag is at the front of me. Just keep your wits about you as you would anywhere else and you’ll be fine.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I visited with another female friend in 2017. We walked everywhere and at night. I took a bag with a zip and that I could wear on my front. No issues. Stunning city, Sagrada Família is my absolute favourite building
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

We were there last month and had heard it was bad especially Las Ramblas but we made sure wallets on inside pockets and my bag had zip and Velcro and had no problems, loved the city and would go again.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I had a giggle at this typo. I'm sure the op isn't advocating carrying a weapon 😁
I always try and dress more like a local in a city, if that makes sense. Linen trousers and a nice top rather than wearing shorts and t shirt. I think people coming off the cruise ships in Barcelona are easy pickings, as often they stand out more as tourists.
Oops! Meant crossbody bag of course! Although a crossbow might be useful sometimes!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

We’ve been twice and love it. Just keep your hands on valuables at all times, although it’s much nicer and less crowded towards Barceloneta if you venture there. It’s our favourite place to stay now as I personally feel a little unsafe near las ramblas. One night my OH had a postcard from a restaurant in his back pocket and when we got back to the hotel it was gone - reminded us how easy it is for pick pockets to get their hands on your items! Luckily it wasn’t anything important for us.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I got pickpocketed in Barcelona last year. We'd been very careful and vigilant all week - it was our 6th day (2nd trip there) and we were getting on the metro at Catalonia Square. It was 2 girls. One blocked my way and I couldn't get past her for only seconds, then they jumped off the train just as it set off. She'd got into my overbody, zipped bag - taken my radley purse and rezipped the bag. I honestly never felt a thing and didn't realise until I went to pay into the aquarium later. Luckily DH had money and we had more in the hotel safe. We went back to the hotel, cancelled my card (I'd only kept one in the purse) and reported it to the concierge. Next morning we 'enjoyed' an interesting hour at the police station to get a statement so we could claim on insurance. They are very clever!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 09:35 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I have a bra wallet which I use in big cities. Works really well for slotting in cc and Maj of cash. Then keep a coin purse in bag or pocket for incidentals. If I need to use the cc it tends to be for meals etc and I just go to the loo and get it out. Back to the loo afterwards and off we go.

DD uses it a lot when going on a night out in the UK so always has money to get home.

I have a few of these. I like them as they are RFID protected.

amazon/Secret-Wall.../dp/B07D7G65YH

I also have the pacsafe ones which work well but don't have RFID.

For backpacking or days when I have to carry junk like passports and don't want to take a bag I have one of these. Excellent.

amazon/Travel-Bra-.../dp/B074WCKPFK

Edited at 03:08 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List