Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Hopefulholiday View Post
I used a website Trusted Housesitters in 2019 as was recommended on the Dibb. It cost a fee to register but the actual sit was free as the sitters use it as an opportunity to stay somewhere.
Our sitters were lovely and very experienced, we video called beforehand, they had lunch with us before we left and took copious notes. I suppose you do have to have a bit of trust here but the site has review of both sitters and the hosts. Our dog didn’t like to be left so he was taken on lots of days out, we had picture of him on a train, by the pub etc and it was obvious he and the couple had become quite fond of each other. They kept the house tidy and even fixed the shower whilst here and sent updates and pictures every few days.

We looked at the big house sitting companies and they seem to offer a comprehensive service but our quote was £1600 which was more than we wanted to pay.
I am really interested in registering for this site, when putting in details do you need to put photos of your pet/home/local area etc. We live quite rural in SW Scotland so its not exactly a hot spot for travel
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
I am really interested in registering for this site, when putting in details do you need to put photos of your pet/home/local area etc. We live quite rural in SW Scotland so its not exactly a hot spot for travel
Don't put in photos of your house number, number plate of your car etc...

xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jemrock
Getting Excited

Thanks Amy - makes sense, to be honest the point of this for us is to get to spend some extended time with animals as we don't have space at home and very much miss having pets. This is the case for other people I know who do this sort of thing (though they, like us, do it unofficially for friends rather than through an official site) so I'm sure you won't struggle to find someone with the right mindset if you decide to take the leap. I'm working from the position that presumably everyone on the site loves animals so I just wondered if the property side would be seen as an additional asset in a sitter.

I don't want to derail Nicksgirl's thread but thanks both for the views

Disney World Florida five times and counting!
jemrock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Following!

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I've looked into this a few times but so far have struggled to persuade my OH to let them stay at our house. He's fine for pet sitters to come in 2x a day but he feels them 'living' in our house is different. I can see where he is coming from but it doesn't bother me as much!

For me looking for someone - I would be actively looking for someone who has worked / volunteered at a really decent small animal rescue or has copious experience themselves through their own pets. I have 5 rescue rabbits (one is a free range house bunny) and 2 rescue guinea pigs and am acutely aware that most pet sitters who cover dogs and cats tend to think they can just chuck the food in and leave them to it when it comes to small animals. Consequently I find it hard to find and trust sitters!

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
Hi, sorry I’ve only just seen your reply.

Yes you sort of put an advert for your sit, so dates, information about the location, photos of pets, house (internal) etc, whatever you think will attract a sitter.
I don’t think you need to be in a tourist hotspot, we are in rural Norfolk but not in a tourist area.
You can also look at sitters profiles and approach them but fortunately we didn’t need to do that.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH

Edited at 11:42 PM.
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by jemrock View Post
TigerLily no it's really helpful and pretty much what I expected to be honest! I have been incredibly nervous the couple of times I've let my flat out on AirBnB and can only imagine it's worse when you're leaving pets as well.

Out of curiosity would you find it in any way reassuring if the applicant could link to positive house management reviews or included that they are approved fosterers for a cat charity (had to submit x2 character witnesses and undergo a home inspection to be approved)? I suspect if it's not through the Trusted Housesitters site people will probably just think it's irrelevant but interested to check my assumptions before ruling it out.
Yes your reviews and information from the cat charity would definitely make me feel more comfortable. Everyone will start as a new sitter on the site so I wouldn’t let that put you off. Also you may find people more willing to use you for shorter sits to enable you to build your profile.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We signed up with them years ago and have used the same couple for 10 years they now jus sit for us and our 2 sons this last year has been hard for them too but sunce we came home last April from the villa they have stayed in Ds2 holiday rental working round the property and helping out with the horses chickens etc
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List