Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

We used Alamo and drive through the sun pass tolls, I think we drove through two maybe three and were charged $7.70 a couple of weeks after we returned
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Can I ask if you have to opt in for this with Alamo ? I’ve just done online check in for the car and didn’t see it mentioned.
Thanks 🙂
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scotsprincess View Post
Can I ask if you have to opt in for this with Alamo ? I’ve just done online check in for the car and didn’t see it mentioned.
Thanks 🙂
We didn’t, we just drove through lol I had read posts on here though that said it was okay to do that and that Alamo would just charge us afterwards
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you opt in when you drive through a sunpass lane. its automatic, no need to sign up for anything beforehand or when you get there.

if you dont use a toll road, or pay by cash, you don't activate it.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scotsprincess View Post
Thanks 🙂
Here's a photo that I've probably posted 500 times here on the DIBB. Good job Google don't charge me a fee for using screenshots of Streetview

This happens to be the first plaza on 417 south as you leave MCO. If you look closely you'll see that all lanes are Sunpass enabled. If you want to enable Sunpass just drive through any lane without stopping and the cameral will take a photo of your plate. Easiest to drive through two left hand lanes though without slowing down. If you want to pay cash drive through right hand lanes, stop at the kiosk and hand over no more than a $20 bill.

If you want to continue paying cash you'll encounter some unmanned tolls (usually on the on/off ramps). This is j2 off the 417 and you'll need a dollar in quarters (as at last week )

As wanye says you don't have to ask for Sunpass, tick any boxes or sign up to anything. The charges will hit your CC maybe up to 6 weeks after your return - may even be in more that one transaction.

Mick

Old 19 Apr 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

Couple of things jump to mind. We've driven down the coast road from St Augustine to Daytona and I don't remember any tolls and of course I4 is toll free.

You can check your toll usage on return here htallc/en/TollPass?agency=alamo
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
monique
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
you will pay $3.95 plus the tolls for every day you use toll roads up to a maximum of $19.75+tolls

so if you just use toll roads for three days of your 2 weeks, you will pay 3x $3.95+toll costs=$11.85+tolls

if you use it for 5 or more days, you will pay $19.75 + tolls

does that clear things up a little?
Crystal clear

Thank you! Great to know. I had to double check it because in 2009 when we first hired a car in Florida, I had missed a toll booth ( No idea how I managed that but I did ) A few weeks later I had a bill for the missed toll plus $25 dollars for admin fees... and that was just one toll I had missed! ... Since then I've read about the changes but I just wanted to make sure I got it right

Disneyland Paris :1995, 2007 and 2011.
Los Angeles Disneyland :1996 & 2001.
Florida: April 2002,May 2004,June 2009,May 2012, April 2013,April 2015,May 2016 & October 2019, May 2024
monique is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
monique
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tiggers friend View Post
Couple of things jump to mind. We've driven down the coast road from St Augustine to Daytona and I don't remember any tolls and of course I4 is toll free.

You can check your toll usage on return here htallc/en/TollPass?agency=alamo
I am actually looking into doing exactly that on the way back to our condo... go towards Daytona using the more scenic route... but as I'm not fammiliar with the roads that side of Florida, I was unsure ... We normally venture out towards Clearwater etc... But it is good not to have to worry. In 2009 I got stung by an unpaid toll that I had somehow missed and I ended up paying the missed toll plus $25 for admin fees Just don't want that to happen again so I thought I'd better check to make sure I had read it right

Disneyland Paris :1995, 2007 and 2011.
Los Angeles Disneyland :1996 & 2001.
Florida: April 2002,May 2004,June 2009,May 2012, April 2013,April 2015,May 2016 & October 2019, May 2024
monique is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List