Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
olaf38
Getting Excited

Help please, best way round to plan my Yosemite Trip

We are 2 adults and a 14 and 12 year old visiting in the 1st week of August. We will arrive from San Francisco about 3pm on Tuesday and are staying 2 nights at Yosemite View Lodge. I have read through lots of information and trip reports but I'm struggling to plan still.

I would like to cover the following and then leave the valley on the Thursday (I think mid afternoon) to then drive the the Tioga Pass as we are stopping in Bishop on the Thursday evening.

Glacier point and tunnel view

Sentinal dome

Taft point

Bridevail

Mirror lake

Mist trail

Vernal falls

Nevada falls

So a couple of questions please:

1) Is this doable and how would you approach it, would you do something when we arrive on the Tuesday?

2) Am I missing anything major that I should try and squeeze in?

Many thanks for your advic
olaf38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi the short answer is yes. Highly recommend the first thing you do is the valley floor tour as soon as you arrive or at 5 ish. This is great for some of the sights mentioned and gives a great overview and a little of the park history in an easy way. For the walk up vernal falls go early and take plenty of water as at the altitude you dehydrate . After the main fall walk another 2/3 hundred yards and come down via the john Muir trail. After this some lunch and possibly drive up to glacier point and perhaps stop at tunnel view. On the valley floor you must walk over to el capitan to see what every climber in the world wants to climb, to make this more interesting we suggest you watch the documentary film Free Solo as this will put a whole different slant to what you see. Your accomodation is close to park entrance and there is a bar and pizza place beside it , also a restaurant .
Anything else just ask
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Interesting for us too. How fit do you need to be to do this kind of trip, do you think?
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

As long as your fit enough to do a couple miles walking.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

I can walk several miles but up steep hills, not so much (following back op).
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

You can tailor it to suit what you are comfortable doing. Lots of the main things can be done easy walking and driving to various view points. Tunnel view and glacier point both easy access, tioga pass also some fantastic view points. As you have never been have a look at the film free solo which shows el capitan being climbed without ropes, when you go it will just seem unthinkable. It s one of the places every climber wants to scale, 3000 ft of granite.
Old 21 Apr 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Little Green
Trading Disney Pins

El Capitan is awesome. We stood at a viewpoint by the roadside and looked up at it for some time before realising there were climbers on the face. They were barely visible.
Little Green is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

We did the nighttime stargazing tour to Glacier Point, amazing so I would expect the Valley Floor your to be the same high standard. The free shuttles are good too. There are also nice beach areas with picnic tables that are nice for a relaxing afternoon. You can be as active or as sedentary as you like and still have a great time.

This was the guide for August last year to give some ideas.

nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...oad/yg18-6.pdf

Edited at 12:35 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Would agree with all of the above and do the Valley Floor Tour as soon as you can. We are all good walkers and fit in our family but I have to say that the heat in August did impact what we could do, we were hitting 106 degrees so do take that into consideration, no matter how far you manage to walk you will still see amazing sites. If you have time, Tenya Lake is a great place to visit and have a dip in the water, it really is a beautiful and peaceful place.
lynne6705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc_Chris
slightly serious Dibber

Tioga Road/Pass is a fantastic drive and very picturesque. We were headed for an overnight at Lone Pine, but first we had a look at Mono Lake, then drove further north for about 20 miles to visit Bodie, a ghost town in the middle of nowhere which was the biggest town in California in the late 1800's - well worth the detour.
Jul '95: Kissimmee/Keys Oct '96/Oct '97/Aug '05/Oct '07: Kissimmee. May '98: Kissimmee Oct '01: RotondaOct 2012:Kissimmee/Anna Maria IslandSep '14: Davenport/RotondaOct '16: Cape Coral/Spring Hill Sep '17: Kissimmee/Rotonda Oct ‘18: Oregon/California Sep ‘19: Highlands Reserve/Bradenton Feb '22: Sunridge Woods Oct '23: New England Road Trip
Manc_Chris is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List