Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 25 Mar 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Pip interview

DS has a PIP interview, I am his appointee and going along with him. Does he have to stay in the room for the whole interview or can I answer on his behalf if he is struggling to cope?
Old 26 Mar 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Had PIP interview, fingers crossed now. The guy doing the interview knew DS from when he was in supported living, dont know whether thats a good thing or not!
Old 27 Mar 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Good luck. I went with DH for his and the lady seemed to understand why certain things are difficult for DH to do much better then his parents. Why would a man who is disabled and has had multiple surgeries on his spine not be able to come and cut their hedge? By the way he gets PIP.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 18, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Unfortunately heard at the weekend this has been declined, so will need to think about appeal. In the response several times it mentions DS had no trouble communicating with assessor, but he knew the assessor, so he wasnt exactly someone he didnt know. Can you request to see copy of their report?
Old 30 Apr 18, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Unfortunately heard at the weekend this has been declined, so will need to think about appeal. In the response several times it mentions DS had no trouble communicating with assessor, but he knew the assessor, so he wasnt exactly someone he didnt know. Can you request to see copy of their report?
Can't help but sorry to read this, definately appeal and I hope then it's successful... currently waiting on my daughters DLA renewal decision... when it was awarded neatly 5 years ago it took a very short time we are about five weeks in this time and my anxiety is nearly through the roof
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
tikka234
Imagineer

I went with my son was a lovely lady she spoke directly to my son a lot of the them he answered what he could or looked to me for support. She spoke to him in a way he understood and of his interest. She asked me at the end did I want to add anything.
I think by the questions she asked she realised / could see he had a learning disability. And he got his PIP for 10 years so happy she was a lovely lady and treated my son very well.
Old 30 Apr 18, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Can't help but sorry to read this, definately appeal and I hope then it's successful... currently waiting on my daughters DLA renewal decision... when it was awarded neatly 5 years ago it took a very short time we are about five weeks in this time and my anxiety is nearly through the roof
I have my DS renewal for his DLA next year and already feel anxious about it. He's had his for 7 years and as he's got older (now 9) more issues have come to light. He receives full time 121 support at school so I'm fairly confident he will be awarded the same level long term. Hope you get the decision you're hoping for. Keep us posted and sending positive thoughts out into the universe for you.
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 18, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
definalty appeal... there is so much corruption within these independent assessments. There's reports of assessor missing evidence out etc. My mum has COPD and carries oxygen around with her. She has several flare ups a year which require a hospital stay. Her assessor described her as "in good health and able to get around without losing breath." She appealed and won. I think it's something like 65% of appeals win in tribunal so if go for it. You've got nothing to lose. Go to the CAB for advise. Good luck.
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 18, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Bear-family View Post
I have my DS renewal for his DLA next year and already feel anxious about it. He's had his for 7 years and as he's got older (now 9) more issues have come to light. He receives full time 121 support at school so I'm fairly confident he will be awarded the same level long term. Hope you get the decision you're hoping for. Keep us posted and sending positive thoughts out into the universe for you.
My daughter is very similar , over the years more issues have become clear and diagnosed but you can guarantee if they contact anyone school, GP etc they will say she copes well she doesnt have 1-1 at school but does have lots of strategies in place that need to be there for the day to work and avoid issues but at school she has learned passivity and over the years to "fit in" she's learnt to mimic others behaviours, hopefully we will hear something soon but until then my nerves are gangling lol ... thankyou
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
My daughter is very similar , over the years more issues have become clear and diagnosed but you can guarantee if they contact anyone school, GP etc they will say she copes well she doesnt have 1-1 at school but does have lots of strategies in place that need to be there for the day to work and avoid issues but at school she has learned passivity and over the years to "fit in" she's learnt to mimic others behaviours, hopefully we will hear something soon but until then my nerves are gangling lol ... thankyou
I've seen a few documentaries where they've said it's so difficult to diagnose things like ASD in girls due to their ability to cover up symptoms and mimic others. Does she have an EHCP? I would say with the fact she has strategies in place at school to help her cope is a big indicator that her diagnosis effect her everyday life. The way I understand it is that if your child needs more help than others in their own peer group then that qualifies them. Hopefully you'll hear something soon, but if you don't get the decision you want then id definalty appeal it.