Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 23 Aug 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Sigma 10-20 f3.5 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art would be my suggestions taking into account the crop factor.

A standard 50 is nice to own but a little long generally speaking on the 1.6x crop of canon cameras.

I lean more towards the 30mm prime as it forces people to think more about the composition of the photograph, and may well be more useful in her course

For comparison my lens kit contains:

Zooms:
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
Canon 24-105mm f4 L
Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Primes:
Sigma Art 35mm f1.4
Sigma Art 50mm f1.4
Sigma Art 85mm f1.4
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
Sigma 10-20 f3.5 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art would be my suggestions taking into account the crop factor.

A standard 50 is nice to own but a little long generally speaking on the 1.6x crop of canon cameras.

I lean more towards the 30mm prime as it forces people to think more about the composition of the photograph, and may well be more useful in her course

For comparison my lens kit contains:

Zooms:
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
Canon 24-105mm f4 L
Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Primes:
Sigma Art 35mm f1.4
Sigma Art 50mm f1.4
Sigma Art 85mm f1.4
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro
Thank you, but they're a bit out of my budget right now. Something to consider for Christmas maybe

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Thank you, but they're a bit out of my budget right now. Something to consider for Christmas maybe
As something of a budget lens try cameraworld/new-eq...-stm-ef-s.html

With the Canon 1.6x crop that makes the lens equivalent to a 38.5mm lens - its a cheap prime lens but is only compatible with the cropped sensor body's

The other option is Canon's "nifty fifty" amazon/dp/B00XKSBM...N=B00XKS BMQA a bit of a weird focal lenght on a crop at 80mm so really aiming for head and shoulder shot portrait photography as its just 5mm shy of the 85 from a full frame camera, however if she's ever likely to go to a full frame this lens will be able to be used where the 24 won't be
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Id stick with the nifty fifty 1.8 great price, great performance and faster than the lenses she already has.

Although 50 on a 1.6 crop camera will appear longer than on a full frame, given she likes taking portraits, it'll actually play well into that (85mm often being said to be a perfect portrait lens on full frame)

the 50 1.8 will also give better low light performance and the chance to play with maximizing scene separation (subject sharp, background nicely blurry) and you can spend an age playing with that.

The wide angle lenses suggested won't be a good match for portrait but of course are fun in their own way!

Whatever you choose, well done to her! photography is a wonderful thing and can give years of pleasure (and frustration ;-)
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
As something of a budget lens try cameraworld/new-eq...-stm-ef-s.html

With the Canon 1.6x crop that makes the lens equivalent to a 38.5mm lens - its a cheap prime lens but is only compatible with the cropped sensor body's

The other option is Canon's "nifty fifty" amazon/dp/B00XKSBM...N=B00XKS BMQA a bit of a weird focal lenght on a crop at 80mm so really aiming for head and shoulder shot portrait photography as its just 5mm shy of the 85 from a full frame camera, however if she's ever likely to go to a full frame this lens will be able to be used where the 24 won't be
Thank you. That's the one I was looking at

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
Id stick with the nifty fifty 1.8 great price, great performance and faster than the lenses she already has.

Although 50 on a 1.6 crop camera will appear longer than on a full frame, given she likes taking portraits, it'll actually play well into that (85mm often being said to be a perfect portrait lens on full frame)

the 50 1.8 will also give better low light performance and the chance to play with maximizing scene separation (subject sharp, background nicely blurry) and you can spend an age playing with that.

The wide angle lenses suggested won't be a good match for portrait but of course are fun in their own way!

Whatever you choose, well done to her! photography is a wonderful thing and can give years of pleasure (and frustration ;-)
Thank you. We're going to go for the nifty fifty and I'm sure we'll soon have a long wish list once she starts college!

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Ive taken my nifty fifty to weddings and concerts, done profile shoots with it and even photographed a road race with it before I had my new zoom (it has a lovely sweet spot where I just know it's going to "hit" if I know my subject(s) are going to be in the same place) .
It's good in low light and gives great depth of field

Edited at 08:51 PM.
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List