Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 26 Mar 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Help needed with Norway and Fjjords cruise planning.

We have a 7 day cruise booked at the beginning of June calling at Starvanger, Flaam, Olden, and Bergen. I'm not feeling very organised with the planning as it's our first cruise and I'm not sure how much in extras if any to add on.
The excursions are pretty expensive, but I don't want to penny pinch. Normally I'm fairly good at DIY planning, and I know we can head for the Flaam railway ourselves rather than booking through P&O.
We are pretty adventurous and I'd like to do a hiking or kayaking or both excursion at one of the ports. There is one from Starvanger travelling by coach to hike to Manfossen waterfall. As its about 90 minutes by coach each way I'm thinking maybe book through P&o for peace of mind.
There are also hiking trips from Starvanger and Olden I'm considering. I'm thinking maybe it'll be easier to book at kayaking trip in the port on spec.
Any thoughts anyone ?
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I have cruised in Norway a couple of times (I work for Fred Olsen) so many waterfalls along the Fjords its wonderful!

We have kayaked the fjord in Flam, was really good (quite hard work though!)

In Bergen we usually go up the Floybanen, if weather is clear, its around £12 and lots to see and do at the top. And explore the Bryggen area of Bergen, little winding streets with lots of tiny shops.
No need for a tour here at all.

At Olden, we went to Briksdal Glacier, on a tour and it was fantastic, you hike through the little country park up to the glacier, then run down to try all the cakes in the cafe at the bottom.

I did a blog about it - mybigfatcruise/post/14666...abulous-fjords

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I have cruised in Norway a couple of times (I work for Fred Olsen) so many waterfalls along the Fjords its wonderful!

We have kayaked the fjord in Flam, was really good (quite hard work though!)

In Bergen we usually go up the Floybanen, if weather is clear, its around £12 and lots to see and do at the top. And explore the Bryggen area of Bergen, little winding streets with lots of tiny shops.
No need for a tour here at all.

At Olden, we went to Briksdal Glacier, on a tour and it was fantastic, you hike through the little country park up to the glacier, then run down to try all the cakes in the cafe at the bottom.

I did a blog about it - mybigfatcruise/post/14666...abulous-fjords
Thanks for that, your blog is great! Would you say you'd need to pre book kayaking?
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We did this exact itinerary last summer. In stavanger we just walked around town. You dock in the centre of town and it’s a very pretty town. We were quite happy without an excursion.

On Flam we did the train on our own. I booked online and it was very easy.

In olden I booked an official excursion to visit s glacier. I wouldn’t recommend it. The glacier has mostly melted and was pretty Unimpressive. I have since seen there is a cable car excursion and I wish I’d done that instead.

In Bergen we walked to the funicular train and bought tickets to go up. We were there early and missed the queues which were massive when we came back down. After we walked through the city and looked around the markets and shops.

Hope they helps.

I also blogged.
bevs97.wordpress/categor...norway-cruise/

Edited at 06:07 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I see we have alternative views of Briksdal Glacier. I will say the area was pretty but it’s quite a steep walk and the day I went it was very rainy which will have affected my view. If you are a walker then you’d probably enjoy it. But if not I’d consider booking the troll car or doing something else. I was very disappointed with the size of the glacier when we finally got there.

Edited at 08:58 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We did this exact itinerary last summer. In stavanger we just walked around town. You dock in the centre of town and it’s a very pretty town. We were quite happy without an excursion.

In olden I booked an official excursion to visit s glacier. I wouldn’t recommend it. The glacier has mostly melted and was pretty Unimpressive. I have since seen there is a cable car excursion and I wish I’d done that instead.

In Bergen we walked to the funicular train and bought tickets to go up. We were there early and missed the queues which were massive when we came back down. After we walked through the city and looked around the markets and shops.

Hope they helps.

I also blogged.
we did the same one last year too! Absolutely loved Norway
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Thanks for that, your blog is great! Would you say you'd need to pre book kayaking?
I personally would, as am not sure how easy it is to rock up and do it, if a cruise ship is offering it as a tour it might be fully booked for them anyway.

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post

Hope they helps.

I also blogged.
Bev such a shame you didnt enjoy the glacier! We had fabulous weather, and love walking so really liked it, agree that the glacier itself isnt that impressive but thats global warming for you.
Your blog photos are fab though!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 08:24 AM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

We did Bergen and Flam last year. Bergen we did an open top bus tour which started near the cruise terminal and I seem to think it cost around £25 each with funicular tickets included and that saved a queue at the funicular.

Flam, I think the train is overpriced for what it is and the prices the cruise companies charge on top is scandalous.

If you do go on the Flam train then stay in your seats at the top. There’s nothing to see there and you will lose your seats for the journey back.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

We did the same itinerary 2 years ago and loved it, the Fjords are spectacular. We also visited the glacier via the ships excursion and really enjoyed it, though we had fabulous weather all week.
Another excursion we went on was to a waterfall from Olden which was ok.
Bev, I’ve just read your blog and enjoyed it, the photos are fab.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I've been on the recommended cruise forum boards (not sure if I'm aĺowed to say the name) I find some of the negativity on there a bit depressing though . I'm trying to find the good reviews . Guess I'm used to the more upbeat nature of the Dibb 😀

Edited at 08:42 AM.