Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 13 Apr 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Universal AP questions

Hi all, I'm looking at tickets for our January 2020 trip and have seen the Universal Season Pass is only $305 at the moment, which is less than the price of a 14-day ticket at current exchange rates.

Does anyone know what tax rate gets added to these for UK buyers?

Does it matter if I buy these now and don't activate them until mid January 2020? I can't see anywhere on Universal's site to give travel dates for annual passes.

If I don't activate the pass can I still use it to get a discount on a Universal hotel?

Does the free parking with the prefered Pass give you anything off of the hotel parking? If it does then the $90 difference will pay for itself in parking costs alone.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by spencem View Post
Hi all, I'm looking at tickets for our January 2020 trip and have seen the Universal Season Pass is only $305 at the moment, which is less than the price of a 14-day ticket at current exchange rates.

Does anyone know what tax rate gets added to these for UK buyers?

Does it matter if I buy these now and don't activate them until mid January 2020? I can't see anywhere on Universal's site to give travel dates for annual passes.

If I don't activate the pass can I still use it to get a discount on a Universal hotel?

Does the free parking with the prefered Pass give you anything off of the hotel parking? If it does then the $90 difference will pay for itself in parking costs alone.
They just want to see you are an annual pass holder and do not do checks from my experience, if they even ask. It dioesn't say an activated annual pass holder just pass holder.

The preferred pass does not give anything off hotel parking, just free universal parking. But the preferred pass does give early entry like universal hotels, so if not at a deluxe you can save some money by staying nearby and still getting early entry perk. And of course free parking.

Worth checking the different food discounts available with seasonal and preferred pass as this can add-up if buying food on-site or in the hotels and preffered give a bigger discount. Just 1 needs it, unless making use of the early entry.

Also the seasonal pass always seems to be cheaper than the UK 14 day pass if brought direct, so no hurry on buying it.

Also last Sept they gave 3 additional months free on some annual passes and from Oct 6 months, which had to be activated by 4th APril this year. If they do that again this year, then you might get a longer pass if you go often. For example, a preferred pass enabled in Feb this year would last to end Aug 2020, so might be worth holding off until nearer the time to see if the offer is repeated.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
familyofthree
Apprentice Imagineer

familyofthree's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Tax on tickets is 6.5%.

Seasonal ticket also has blackout dates so make sure you check them out before deciding to buy.

Edited at 07:24 PM.
familyofthree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by familyofthree View Post
Tax on tickets is 6.5%.

Seasonal ticket also has blackout dates so make sure you check them out before deciding to buy.
Thanks, that still works out better than the 2 week passes then.

We are going next January so well clear of the blackout dates, the ones over new year are before we go.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Where did you find these prices please just looking and we are thinking of doing this ourselves. Thanks
Danielle87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Danielle87 View Post
Where did you find these prices please just looking and we are thinking of doing this ourselves. Thanks
On the main Universal Orlando website, just look under Buy Tickets.
Old 14 Apr 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve already bought my tickets -14 days.
Is there a way to upgrade before we go or do I have to do this when I’m there?
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lottiesmum0 View Post
I’ve already bought my tickets -14 days.
Is there a way to upgrade before we go or do I have to do this when I’m there?
No from what I've read you have to do it at the park.
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
gogs
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi,
Just to add to the replies you've already had you don't even need to own an annual pass yet to book the APH rate at the hotel - you just have to be on the spot when they release the rates.

We did this the year before last where I paid about $80 or so to upgrade (from memory) to upgrade a 3 park explorer ticket to a 3 park seasonal pass. I upgraded in the lobby concierge desk of the Cabana Bay hotel (we weren't staying there, I just popped in) I had already booked a 2 night stay at the Royal Pacific Resort weeks before using the APH rate (it was $199 a night) for the day after.

We also used the same AP to enter universal last year too & we got a APH discounted deluxe top floor room at the Aventura ($149), you get 10% off food there with an AP as well.
I also got a 2 days for 1 discount on Volcano Bay tickets for the rest of the family (I could use my pass).
AFAIK there's no passholder discount on hotel parking.

It's well worth getting a pass if you use it!
gogs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for that, interesting that you don't need a pass to book the pass holder rate. I presume they wanted to see your pass when you did check into the hotel?