Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

I got a quote from Virgin for 14 nights, AKL standard room, 14 day tickets, free dining, direct flights from Manchester for 2 adults.

They asked for almost £9,000!

I actually laughed at that amount! I understand it's school holidays, but are they kidding?!
Old 18 Apr 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
BTW, everyone who is planning to stay onsite at Disney and is looking to book hotel + tickets to get the free DDP will be booking a package through a travel agent. The Walt Disney Travel Company, who runs the UK Disney website, is a travel agent.
Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
Technically they are a tour operator just like Virgin. A travel agent sells their packages
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Not quiet true. A travel agent sells other companies services, where as The Walt Disney Travel Company is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company, so effectively selling their own services.
Basically if you book via the Walt Disney Travel Company you are booking direct.
Technically, you’re all correct. WDTC UK is definitely a tour operator when it sells air packages.

It is technically a travel agent when it sells Disney tickets or accommodation standalone, since it is selling the products of a separate company, albeit in the same group. As sprocket notes, in practice this is selling direct, but legally and procedurally it’s slightly different, especially given that the end supplier sister companies are likely not bound by UK law. For example WDTC is an ABTA member and would be bound by the ABTA Code of Conduct.

When it sells a hotel and ticket package, is it a tour operator or a travel agent? Obviously not ATOL covered since no air, but still subject to the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements 2018, so a package.

The distinction between travel agents and tour operators used to be clear. The online age led to more tour operators selling direct, and more travel agents doing dynamic packaging and therefore effectively tour operating, so the boundaries are well and truly blurred in terms of company activities. It may be easier to think of them all as travel companies which may sell separate elements or packages, as Nimbus mentioned upthread.

I’ll (try to) stop now, I did say above that distribution is complex these days

Edited at 07:43 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bertiebear View Post
Both times we’ve gone since joining the Dibb I’ve booked everything seperately and save around £1500-2000 compared to TA’s doing a package. If I’d never joined the dibb would never had known this. Been a wealth of information and making sure I have the correct insurance so I’m covered on all fronts. Folk pay what they want but I’m now in the camp even if money wasn’t an issue I’d still DIY it. I will however still continue to get quotes for a package on the off change it comes out cheaper. I don’t feel that’s wasting time it’s a service and there to be used.
I get the need for choice. Personal preference, proximity to hub airports, budget, time of year are all factors in choosing to use a TO or a TA instead of DIY.

And if folk choose to pay more for ease of booking a package, that's also fine and not wrong, even if it might not make sense to some. It's their money, their decision.

But if booking for a family of 6, DIY, saves me 50% of the cost versus a package deal, guess which I'm picking. (Like you, the past 2 times I've gone to Orlando I've done this Bertiebear.). And DIY has been easy every time I've done it.

Personally, I view MOST (not all) TAs and TOs as heading for extinction, used mostly by the unwary and the well off.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List