Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Apr 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dianemc2000 View Post
Also with DIY many people may save £, sometimes lots sometimes only a few hundred however in all cases will need to pay upfront for flights, not everyone has that money & like to pay up & have protection, I don’t think it’s fair how some people are made to feel bad about booking a package.
I'd suggest being a professional you revise this thinking.

Booking a flight only means you have to pay up front. Book a flight with a Hotel or a Flight with a Car and only a deposit is required with BA.

Fully protected.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

Indeed, the so-called 'professional' who quoted for me insisted that a room type I wanted a quote for did not exist for booking and could only be requested at check-in with no guarantee - um, I can see that room type as a separate booking category on the Disney website, so it clearly can be booked. That and their price put me right off.
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
I'd suggest being a professional you revise this thinking.

Booking a flight only means you have to pay up front. Book a flight with a Hotel or a Flight with a Car and only a deposit is required with BA.

Fully protected.
Equally, pay with a CC and you are covered.!
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It’s also possible to book flights without paying in full if you look at fly drive options. Sometimes these are as cheap or cheaper than booking just a flight. Sometimes they aren’t.

I’m not opposed to a package but I’d always know the basic cost for my hotel / tickets so I can work out what it’s costing me for the flights. That might not be the same breakdown as the travel agent gives but it’s the only one relevant to me as I can book the hotel / tickets package myself with no difficulty.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I disagree that DIY means you will always have to pay upfront for flights.
BA fly drive for example is deposit only with balance due a month before departure. Netflights will also book in a similar manner over the phone . With BA my son had slightly different dates to us on the return so needed a seperate booking BA packaged his flight with a hotel room (forall three of us) for deposit only.

Our DIY last year we had originally booked

Dibb Villa (deposit) direct
Disney with free dining (deposit) My Magic Holidays (cheaper than Disney direct)
BA fly drive (deposit) direct
Cruise (deposit) via US cruise agent for more OBC than direct

Out of curiosity I asked VH to quote for similar it came out literally thousands more.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Package holidays are for two kinds of people;
1) those who can afford it and aren't budgeting and just want an easy life, and
2) the thousands and thousands of non-Dibbers out there ( the fools! )

I think we tend to forget that we are still, in the grand scheme of life, a very small forum and most Florida holidaymakers wouldn't have a clue how to research what the OP has done
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Package holidays are for two kinds of people;
1) those who can afford it and aren't budgeting and just want an easy life, and
2) the thousands and thousands of non-Dibbers out there ( the fools! )

I think we tend to forget that we are still, in the grand scheme of life, a very small forum and most Florida holidaymakers wouldn't have a clue how to research what the OP has done
I have only ever booked package holidays , never done it DIY , I always work to a budget and have always been happy with price we’ve paid, I’m from Yorkshire where allegedly we are renowned for being tight... I’m not but I don’t want ripping off either... packages work for us
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It very much depends.
We don't ever stay in the same place for the full two or three weeks . If we did a package might be a better price ... I wouldn't discount the possibility but price both ways.
That said even between the tour operators there are massive differences in price
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
allymc316
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Dianemc2000 View Post
Lastly as an agent myself we work hard & do thousands of quotes for people that are not interested & just wasting our time like the op did, the internet is a great tool so use this without wasting ta’s time if your not wanting to book with them in the first place. Leave them free to deal with genuine customers.
So i am a time waster for saying to a TA I want a holiday and then they come back with a talking telephone numbers quote. Same could be said for the TA's, I am a genuine customer but you have wasted my time with a non competitive quote.

The fact you compare a package holiday to DIY'ing your house is not even relevant. I am not going to fly the plane to save money or build a Disney hotel to stay in. (hmm... theres an idea )

If you classify everyone looking a quote and not booking as a time waster and you have done thousands of these quotes, maybe just maybe it shows you are overpriced and people are smartening up and doing their own research.

I am booking a Disney holiday next year, I have a pot of money to book, but its my money and will get the best deal possible by getting prices from as many places as possible before booking. I am not saying every package is a rip-off but if we step back and break the quote down we then see the real value (or not in many cases).

Lastly, what "protection" does a package holiday offer me than doing DIY, Paying with a CC and buying proper travel insurance to cover me? This "protection" word that TA's throw about is a bit of scaremongering that have no relevance in this day and age. If people are smart enough to question what they have been quoted I am sure they can book appropriate "protection" for their holiday
allymc316 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Both times we’ve gone since joining the Dibb I’ve booked everything seperately and save around £1500-2000 compared to TA’s doing a package. If I’d never joined the dibb would never had known this. Been a wealth of information and making sure I have the correct insurance so I’m covered on all fronts. Folk pay what they want but I’m now in the camp even if money wasn’t an issue I’d still DIY it. I will however still continue to get quotes for a package on the off change it comes out cheaper. I don’t feel that’s wasting time it’s a service and there to be used.