Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
darsch1982
Imagineer

Mobile Travelling with 1 stop on united

Hi its our first time trying to do 1 stop flights we are flying out london and into new york newark then off to orlando we have never done flights with 1 stop so have a few questions.?
1) how does it work for luggage

2) do we need to go landside then back through security?

3) any advose you can give us please

Would really appreciate any help a little worried but flights only £500 for 2 of us in october so couldnt say no really
darsch1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Don’t be worried.

You will get off clear immigration then pick up your luggage and then walk it through customs and then drop it again straight afterwards.

I don’t know united in Newark well enough to know the rest of the procedure but you will effectively be I. The US on an internal flight so the only thing you may need to do is clear security again.

United are fine we went with them in October to Denver however the food is dreadful and I am not fussy in the slightest so get a couple of sandwiches in Blighty before you leave.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Yes we have done this route. Luggage you pick up when you get off the plane and before immigration (immigration rules you need to be with your luggage). You then pass through immigration and then give the luggage to some guys that have a huge pile of them that they then put back in the system. You will probably need to change terminals so once you have dropped off your luggage find the train that goes between (probably the most difficult part). Yes you will have to go through security again.

Biggest tip leave plenty of time (I would say at around 3 hours). If you get through easily which we did you can then find your gate and have some lunch at one of the many restaurants, you order and pay on an iPad!

As for United make sure you have the United App as some of the planes have no real entertainment and you have to watch on their Wifi (a real let down in my opinion). Don't sit at the back of the plane, you will get water drip on you as you take off and they don't seem to care just saying "oh that's normal" not getting the point you are getting soaked just before a 7 hour flight!

I liked Newark as an airport, great views of Manhattan!
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RobandLynsey View Post
Yes we have done this route. Luggage you pick up when you get off the plane and before immigration (immigration rules you need to be with your luggage). You then pass through immigration and then give the luggage to some guys that have a huge pile of them that they then put back in the system. You will probably need to change terminals so once you have dropped off your luggage find the train that goes between (probably the most difficult part). Yes you will have to go through security again.

Biggest tip leave plenty of time (I would say at around 3 hours). If you get through easily which we did you can then find your gate and have some lunch at one of the many restaurants, you order and pay on an iPad!

As for United make sure you have the United App as some of the planes have no real entertainment and you have to watch on their Wifi (a real let down in my opinion). Don't sit at the back of the plane, you will get water drip on you as you take off and they don't seem to care just saying "oh that's normal" not getting the point you are getting soaked just before a 7 hour flight!

I liked Newark as an airport, great views of Manhattan!
Not quite, luggage pickup comes after immigration and before customs.

The full process is
  • Get off Plane
  • Clear Immigration
  • Collect Bags
  • Clear Customs
  • Drop off bags (clearly marked drop off point just down the slope from customs)
  • Check departure boards for next gate number (may involve a change of terminal)
  • Go to correct terminal
  • Go through security
  • Go to gate

At MCO you'll arrive as a domestic passenger having already cleared immigration. You just have to collect your baggage and leave.
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Not quite, luggage pickup comes after immigration and before customs.

The full process is
  • Get off Plane
  • Clear Immigration
  • Collect Bags
  • Clear Customs
  • Drop off bags (clearly marked drop off point just down the slope from customs)
  • Check departure boards for next gate number (may involve a change of terminal)
  • Go to correct terminal
  • Go through security
  • Go to gate

At MCO you'll arrive as a domestic passenger having already cleared immigration. You just have to collect your baggage and leave.
Apologies, forgot about customs
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
darsch1982
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow thank you everyone that is great they originally left us only 1h but asked them to change to have 5 hours as its our first time on the way back we are going theough houston but been told luggage goes all the way so that makes it easy
darsch1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by darsch1982 View Post
Wow thank you everyone that is great they originally left us only 1h but asked them to change to have 5 hours as its our first time on the way back we are going theough houston but been told luggage goes all the way so that makes it easy
Yup on the way back it will go all the way as you don't have to clear customs. And you were right to change as 1h definitely wouldn't have been enough time.
Old 18 Apr 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by darsch1982 View Post
We have done this route- it will be fine. You did right to change from 1 hour layover
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
We have done this route- it will be fine. You did right to change from 1 hour layover
Newark does seem to have become a cashless airport though. Bit of a pain if you have spare dollars coming home and no one takes them. I usually opted for 3hr layover option and that was plenty time. Coming home via Newark was a doddle and arrival gate from MCO and departure gate to Edinburgh usually 100 yards apart.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List