Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sunflower2312
Getting Excited

August

Hi,
We go to Disney every year but this year will be the first time we are going in August as I didn’t want to take my daughter out of school again.
We go 10th-29th and I’m absolutely dreading it. Is it jam packed in the parks? I know it’s going to be hot but hot and packed in makes me feel claustrophobic at the thought. I suffer with bad sciatica too so standing around for ages is painful.
Someone say it’s not as bad as I’m thinking!

Edited at 11:57 AM. Reason: Misspelling
sunflower2312 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
shepherdypie
VIP Dibber

We have been in August loads now and yes it’s busy but wouldn’t say jam packed! The last two weeks in August quiten down too as a lot of the US schools return - don’t worry it honestly is not a problem!

You’ll be just fine 👍
Old 28 May 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

You will be fine - much quieter than late June and July. Disney’s off peak starts 15/8
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TICH1952
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sunflower2312 View Post
Hi,
We go to Disney every year but this year will be the first time we are going in August as I didn’t want to take my daughter out of school again.
We go 10th-29th and I’m absolutely dreading it. Is it jam packed in the parks? I know it’s going to be hot but hot and packed in makes me feel claustrophobic at the thought. I suffer with bad sciatica too so standing around for ages is painful.
Someone say it’s not as bad as I’m thinking!
You're right it is very hot and humid but not as crowded as you might think
We always go in August due to my partner working in a school. The American children go back to school around the 3rd week of August (I'm sure someone will correct me if I have the time wrong)
Just make sure you don't try do everything in a day go and chill out at the pool, break up your day.
TICH1952 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cliftonite
Serious Dibber

I cannot lie, it is hot, though I find it more humid that hot if that makes sense. And you do feel that you are walking through treacle sometimes.

I have been twice at Easter and once in August, and am going back this August for 2 weeks.

We made use of early hours when it is cooler & left the park just after lunch, headed back to the hotel/villa to chill before heading out in the evening when it is cooler.
Make sure you have chill time / days (water parks) which will help too.

A tip a cast member from the Rose & Crown (so she was from the UK) said to me, is that "just accept you are going to sweat. Everyone else is too and don't push yourself so much".

Plan you days, use the FastPasses well, drink often, use cold flannels is also a good tip too & one I will be using this time.

I don't find the parks any more busy than Easter, just a different set of people (less americans as they are back to school when you will be there).

Just don't push yourself - it is a holiday afterall

Where are you staying?

Alison x

2008 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2011 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2013 WL (2 weeks) ~~~ 2018 OKW & Portofino
Cliftonite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It is hot but it's not the heat that gets to you it's the humidity! We are going again this August for the 2nd time and whilst the weather can be a bit much we didn't find the parks overly packed (we did all Disney/seaworld/universal and DC) It def quietened down towards the end of August. We don't do all day in the parks, we just can't do it so we do a mix of early starts and late starts, with pool breaks in between. Toward so fhe end of the holiday we tend to spend the day round the pool or shopping and go to a park in the evening. It works well for us, we would all be exhausted otherwise and with my moody Margaret pre teens it's just not worth it lol. We love August.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sunflower2312
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Cliftonite View Post
I cannot lie, it is hot, though I find it more humid that hot if that makes sense. And you do feel that you are walking through treacle sometimes.

I have been twice at Easter and once in August, and am going back this August for 2 weeks.

We made use of early hours when it is cooler & left the park just after lunch, headed back to the hotel/villa to chill before heading out in the evening when it is cooler.
Make sure you have chill time / days (water parks) which will help too.

A tip a cast member from the Rose & Crown (so she was from the UK) said to me, is that "just accept you are going to sweat. Everyone else is too and don't push yourself so much".

Plan you days, use the FastPasses well, drink often, use cold flannels is also a good tip too & one I will be using this time.

I don't find the parks any more busy than Easter, just a different set of people (less americans as they are back to school when you will be there).

Just don't push yourself - it is a holiday afterall

Where are you staying?

Alison x
I’ve brought some cooling towels as hoping they might help. We are staying at POFQ we also have a 8 yr old and 3 year old. It sounds as though it’s not as bad as I’m thinking 😀
sunflower2312 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mibbs
Serious Dibber

Mibbs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We go every year in August, it's fine, the local schools go back at the end of August so it's quieter than you think
Mibbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
slave1
Apprentice Imagineer

slave1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Been end of August a few times, would say it's a bit quieter and especially after the local schools go back. Heat no real difference, just drive plenty of water and take your shade breaks and all will be good.
Easter 2011 [month in Linfields], August 2012 [month in Linfields], July 2013 [month in Linfields], July 2014 [5 weeks in Linfields], July 2015 [3 weeks in Linfields], June 2016 [3 weeks in Linfields]. Aug 2017 [3 weeks in Cagan's Crossing], October 2019 [2 weeks in Linfields], July/Aug 2020 17days Miami/Key West/Bonita/Orlando
slave1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

We have been in August many times, both early and late in the month. It is definitely quieter in the second half of the month, as others have said. Also, you will see that Disney dont consider the last two weeks of August as peak time.

We would quite often go to Universal for the evening... say from 6pm until close, and it was always remarkably quiet... a lot of rides just walk on. The only problem with that, is that you may get caught in quite a bit of rain