Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 18, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
LPK
I have Ears

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Can wi-fi be used to order a Uber or Lyft car? I'm with O2 and am not planning on doing any texting or phoning as such, just posting the occasional pic on FB, so don't want to get another sim card for my phone just to order a Uber or Lyft. Thanks.
Yes, it can, but just be sure to give extra attention to your pick-up point. Usually, using data will pinpoint you quite close to where you are so the driver can find you, but this can be more temperamental if done via Wifi. It's not difficult to check, or change if need be, but just something to be mindful of.

Once you have requested the Uber and the driver has accepted, you don't need to have the app open during the ride. After the ride it may just be worth indicating to the driver that you may take a bit of time to provide him/her a rating and add a tip (if doing so) on the app as you need to find a wifi connection.
LPK is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Heartworm
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Can wi-fi be used to order a Uber or Lyft car? I'm with O2 and am not planning on doing any texting or phoning as such, just posting the occasional pic on FB, so don't want to get another sim card for my phone just to order a Uber or Lyft. Thanks.
You can buy a data bolt on for O2, think they are available for £10 (I've not been on O2 in a couple years) and it allows you to use normal data when there, it can be pretty handy.

Edit: Checking the O2 website it seems the option now costs £4.99 a day!

Edited at 03:17 PM.
Heartworm is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
FAMILY JACK
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Phone calls have always been good data a bit hit and miss
Old 28 May 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Ive not used Uber... but, don't they have an app? Im sure you could use the app on wifi to book a ride.
Old 28 May 18, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
In built up areas it was fine, the signal sometimes was a bit iffy elsewhere but I would use it again.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies re: my question about using wi-fi for Lyft and Uber. I'm going off site three times - one day at Discovery Cove and two days at Universal/IOA. I've seen the O2 £4.99/day charge! If I do go down the 3 option is it simply a case of taking my O2 sim out of my phone and putting the 3 one in when I get to Orlando? Sorry for the questions - I'm not exactly techie savvy! Ta.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
In answer to your question about taxis, you can swap sims when you need to book your taxis but, depending on your phone, this can be a faff eg iPhone you need the little needle thing and somewhere to store the SIMs safely. it will take about 5mins max probs.

If I understand your needs correctly though, you only need to use it on 6 occasions to book taxis. With Three you'd be looking at a £10 for the PAYG tariff THEN the £25-ish Bolt-On to trigger Feel at Home. So around £35. It does mean you can use the SIM throughout your holiday though but you'd be switching SIMs.

If you do ONLY need it for 6 taxi orders, you'd be better off using your own tariff with its bolt-ons/usage. For example Vodafone is £6 (inc Tax) for full home usage (inc 4G) each day. So in this instance it's 3 days usage at £18. No SIM swap needed. O2 is the same price but really limited to allowances and excess use is expensive...but for your need this doesn't matter.

Breakdown of what networks offer for roaming America:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Usi...USA-p-427.html

In answer to the other points...

Three don't have a network in the USA so their UK reception is of no relevance to coverage in the US. They "rent" T Mobile and AT&T.

Because of this, their agreement is that foreign users can only use the network for Voice, Text and 3G for data. There's a max limit of 13GB usage for a month. Users can not tether/hotspot on 3G. Plus the 3G is throttled, which means the speeds you'll receive is limited. Plus, nearly all networks across the world have sectioned off some of their 3G capacity to use for voice calls (to provide HD quality).

I would expect and have experienced speeds of about 1-3mb on Three when Iv'e used Feel at Home in California and Florida. For me this typically meant Google Maps could take 30 seconds to find me at its worst. I never streamed tv/films but watching video clips on the likes of Facebook would buffer if longer than 2mins in busy areas.

My biggest bother with specially buying a Three SIM was having to swap SIMs regularly and not really being contactable on my normal SIM (you can call forward but SMS don't get forwarded...the way around is WhatsApp or iMessage)

At the end of the day it all depends on what you want to use your phone for when abroad and how much you're willing to pay!

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17

Edited at 04:50 PM.
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
walden64
Imagineer

walden64's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I am a 3 customer here in the UK and have now used it in Florida for the last few years each time we go out to our villa. I wouldn't be without it now.

I also find that on T Mobile the signal is a bit hit and miss so I always switch to AT & T which works better for me but it will depend on where you are.

Michelle

With its own pool, jacuzzi, internet, games room and backing onto wonderful conservation and wetlands area, it is a great choice for families. Just a couple of minutes from Championsgate

Full details can be found at www.orlando-villa-westhaven.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sunshineviewfloridavilla

walden64 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I used Three on previous visits with no issues when manually switching to AT &T but early this month had no luck and relied on using What's App when had WIFI. For some reason it always picked up signal once back at Villa when didn't need it. Relied on using my DH's EE Max Plan that had no issues with calls or data.

Also just to mention that you no longer have to use the add-ons if you have payg - you can just use your balance and it deducts the normal 321 charges or buy a £10 or £20 add-on if you want to use a lot of data and it works. I wasted £10 on the add on when would have cost 5p for the texts I managed to send and still no reply to my e-mail complaining but will be looking into changing to EE if we return to USA.

Edited at 08:34 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Wife has 3 PAYG just for Florida an dworks fine though as others have said the speed is slow it’s meant to be 3G but it is slow.

I have three on contract for my business and EE for personal both have US minutes and data included my contract three was dreadful EE was very good.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List