Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Apr 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Flying indirect for the first time - advice please

I have found a <£600 for a flight in August, with both legs with the same airline.

Having never flown indirect before, I am wondering how much time do you need between flights. I was thinking at least three hours, presuming you have to collect bags, go through immigration and then check bags in again before they

close their bag check at least an hour before departure. Or do you have to do all that if you are with the same airline? Plus a little bit of contingency to get from A to B in the airport and for late take off.

Change airports include Washington or Charlotte
Thanks.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Paddcomp
Imagineer

Mobile

Whilst i haven't been via those airports i have been indirect 3 times, Atlanta and Philly.
You do collect luggage even with a through ticket on the same airline, but it's not like checking in again, you just put your bags on a conveyor belt.
3 hours is ideal, 2 minimum. You could also get some food during the stop, and arrive in Orlando fed.
Easter 2014 - Oak Island cove Dibb Villa
Easter 2018 - Lindfields Dibb Villa
Paddcomp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

You will be checked in for the 2nd flight at the same time as the 1st flight. Going out, the procedure is immigration (passports) then baggage claim then customs then baggage drop for transfer passengers (which is usually close by) then you go to the next gate. You don't go to the 'normal' check in desks. On the way back there is no immigration or customs and your bags are transferred automatically, so you go straight to the next gate.
Going out to MCO in September via Detroit, the immigration/customs took about 1 hr before I could go to the gate (but in that case I then had to go through security again - another 15 minute queue). How long you allow is a matter of personal choice. Airlines seem to try to sell flights with a 1hr to 2hr transfer, and some people are happy with that, as they don't want to hang about. Personally, I prefer 2hr to 3hr, as I have had 3 bad experienses: one where the transatlantic flight was late and I missed the connection, one where I made the connecting flight, but my bag didn't and one where I just made it by rushing. I prefer it to be more relaxed - time to stretch your legs, have a walk around, have a drink or meal. Flights are often o time, but there can be delays, so I prefer to allow a bit of contingency. If you miss a connection, they will put you on the next available flight, but that is not necessarily the next flight and not necessarily even the same day. Going out in Sept I actually had 4hr when I booked (3hr wasn't available) but Delta changed the flights so it ended up being 6hr (rather too long). Coming back I had 4hr at Atlanta (more than enough).
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Re checking your bags after clearing customs isn't like checking in at departure. You didn't say which airport you are transiting but it works the same way at all. You get off the plane , go through immigration then pick your bags off the carousel, walk through the adjacent customs hall, once through there are carousels or moving belts to put your bags on (they will already be tagged to your final destination) so no queuing , then you go to the gate for your next plane.

It's very slick and easy.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

We flew indirect for the first time last time and I honestly preferred it to the horrendous immigration queues at Orlando! We only had 50 mins between our flight landing and taking off from Philly but it worked so well. And that was with DD6 and DD5! We're doing it again this time.
Old 15 Apr 17, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by LawrenceFamily View Post
We flew indirect for the first time last time and I honestly preferred it to the horrendous immigration queues at Orlando! We only had 50 mins between our flight landing and taking off from Philly but it worked so well. And that was with DD6 and DD5! We're doing it again this time.
This is great to hear, as we're going via Dublin in July. My DH had a real stress at MCO last visit so i'm pleased to be able to avoid a big part of the process that end. They really do need to re-jig that airport. Only have 1hr 40 between flights though so am really hoping it's a swift process through immigration and security at Dublin.

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, appreciate your input. The only way we can afford it this year is indirect, but you've put my mind at ease, so thank you.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
GemLiam
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

GemLiam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
I have found a <£600 for a flight in August, with both legs with the same airline.

Having never flown indirect before, I am wondering how much time do you need between flights. I was thinking at least three hours, presuming you have to collect bags, go through immigration and then check bags in again before they

close their bag check at least an hour before departure. Or do you have to do all that if you are with the same airline? Plus a little bit of contingency to get from A to B in the airport and for late take off.

Change airports include Washington or Charlotte
Thanks.
I dont know about your airports cause when we flew indirect, are change was at JFK but the one thing I would suggest is, make sure if they dont tell you to collect your bags or just leave, that you ask. On our trip on the way out they told us to collect our bags but in the return they didn't say anything so we panicked and left the airport thinking we had to collect them like we did going but didn't and then we had to go through security again and we only had 30 mins between flights, thankfully we made it.

Gem

The Floridian Hotel & Suit (I Drive) - 2012 Engagement Disney Caribbean Beach Resort - 2014 Honeymoon Disney Port Orleans French Quarters - 2015 With Friends Disney Santa Fe DLP - 2016 With Bro Disney Sequoia Lodge DLP - 2017 With Daughter Disney Port Orleans French Quarters - 2019 With Daughter
GemLiam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I wonder how many people are put off by indirect as they don't realize the outbound is quite streamlined and the return you don't see your bags until your home airport. As someone else said avoiding the mess Orlando immigration can be is a massive plus especially with kids who can't understand that although already there they still have to wait.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

I'd second that arriving in MCO as a domestic passenger it's a breeze and with the huge cost saving vs direct flights well worth it for us!
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List