Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 21 Jun 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Yanto
Getting Excited

Hi,

We have stayed in or near Cape Coral for the last four years we love it there. We have done both hired for the day and also rented a villa which came with a boat. I would say the latter is more convenient in that with a boat at the end of the garden it is your choice when you take to the water.

We tend to go in September when the weather is good in the morning and then turns to rain most afternoons. We go out in the boat early in the morning and return after midday. I just love getting out on the water it is my favourite part of the holiday, cruise for about an hour taking in the wildlife along the way then drop anchor and have lunch. Last year we cruised up to Cabbage Key (which is and island that can only be reached by water) had dinner, signed and stuck the obligatory dollar bill to the wall then returned to the villa, life doesn’t get any better than that..!

I had no experience of boats prior to our first trip but did a lot of reading and prepared before I went. It’s fairly easy once you are aware of the things to look out for, but the water around that area can go from six feet to two feet in a matter of seconds so you have to have your wits about you. Most boats are fitted with GPS but I always rely on Navionics which is an app you can download to your phone and buy the charts that are relevant to that area. If you follow the app and don’t stray out of the channels you can’t go wrong.

I can highly recommend Cape Coral and a boat whilst you are there would be just perfect.
Yanto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
the link is here:

homeaway/p3612178

we didnt hire a boat however the owner had theirs on the dock and the neighbours weer using theirs most days. I was a bit blarey eyed this morning as was on my way home from nights but the property was immaculate, stocked with everything you could need, pool/beach towels, all transactions done through Homeaway, and no hefty damage deposits. The owner was really helpful all through the process. Its not in the photos but there is also a massive outdoor kitchen/grill under the lanai.
Thank you. I’ve just had a look and it’s already gone for the dates I have been looking at. Looks just the kind of place we would want though.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
Hi,

We have stayed in or near Cape Coral for the last four years we love it there. We have done both hired for the day and also rented a villa which came with a boat. I would say the latter is more convenient in that with a boat at the end of the garden it is your choice when you take to the water.

We tend to go in September when the weather is good in the morning and then turns to rain most afternoons. We go out in the boat early in the morning and return after midday. I just love getting out on the water it is my favourite part of the holiday, cruise for about an hour taking in the wildlife along the way then drop anchor and have lunch. Last year we cruised up to Cabbage Key (which is and island that can only be reached by water) had dinner, signed and stuck the obligatory dollar bill to the wall then returned to the villa, life doesn’t get any better than that..!

I had no experience of boats prior to our first trip but did a lot of reading and prepared before I went. It’s fairly easy once you are aware of the things to look out for, but the water around that area can go from six feet to two feet in a matter of seconds so you have to have your wits about you. Most boats are fitted with GPS but I always rely on Navionics which is an app you can download to your phone and buy the charts that are relevant to that area. If you follow the app and don’t stray out of the channels you can’t go wrong.

I can highly recommend Cape Coral and a boat whilst you are there would be just perfect.
Thank you very much for that. I have been looking at various villas. Some come with a boat but I was a bit nervous of those but seems to have worked well for you. My thought was a 4 day break some time in the middle of our holiday July 2020. I would then hire a boat for three days as that’s a big part of the draw of Cape Coral for me. With three day hires it appears most of the companies do free delivery/collection with a three day hire.
It looks like I have a bit of reading to do on the boating side of things.
I’m not going to rush into booking anything at the moment but the wife s keen on the idea so that’s most of the battle won 😂
I have no idea what late villa availability would be like that time of year so that may be the deciding factor nearer the time.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
brown78p
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

A little tip.When you are looking at villas make sure you find out how long it takes to get to the open water. You can spend 40 minutes trunking around the canals if you're not careful.
brown78p is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by brown78p View Post
A little tip.When you are looking at villas make sure you find out how long it takes to get to the open water. You can spend 40 minutes trunking around the canals if you're not careful.
Thank you. Funnily enough, I read somewhere that someone had a 40 min journey to get to open water so I have been trying to look at the ones that look closest on the home away map. I think the yacht club area looks pretty good. I’m just trying to hold off booking anything until nearer he time in case it’s just one of my brain waves that wears off... it happens 😂
Old 24 Jun 19, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

If you want to be on the water in CC I recommend south of Cape Coral Pkwy as that reduces the amount of time spent in the canals before you hit the river. If you're interested we've used Capt Bruce for years and head into the waters off Pine Island 3 or 4 times during our winter stay - check Bruce out HERE. I recently had a message from another Dibber to say they'd had a fantastic day on the water - $50 per head and let him do the navigation whilst you relax back and chill. You'll be out for circa 6 hours, take a picnic, loads to drink, sunblock et al., and let Bruce do what he does best, show you around the area. We far and away prefer off Pine Island as it's quieter than the CC river.
Old 24 Jun 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
If you want to be on the water in CC I recommend south of Cape Coral Pkwy as that reduces the amount of time spent in the canals before you hit the river. If you're interested we've used Capt Bruce for years and head into the waters off Pine Island 3 or 4 times during our winter stay - check Bruce out HERE. I recently had a message from another Dibber to say they'd had a fantastic day on the water - $50 per head and let him do the navigation whilst you relax back and chill. You'll be out for circa 6 hours, take a picnic, loads to drink, sunblock et al., and let Bruce do what he does best, show you around the area. We far and away prefer off Pine Island as it's quieter than the CC river.
Thank you. I've just had a good look at a map so will try and get something south of Cape Coral Parkway.
I've had a look at the link as well thank you. I think if we do Cape Coral I will try and get a villa for 4 nights and do a 3 day boat rental as most companies seem to deliver for free if you rent for three days. I will bear this in mind but really like the idea of having our own boat for a few days to do as we please with.