Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Jun 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

St Pancras to Gatwick returns

Just looking at booking the tickets above. If I select the 13.25 out and the 8am back it’s £92 but if I select the 9.25am it’s £52. Logical, I’m thinking - costs more at peak times? But it says on Trainline that these are any time singles, so if I pay less based on the later train can I still travel on the earlier one? Am I missing something really obvious?
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Your original thought was correct.
If you travel on a peak service with an off peak ticket the ticket inspector will charge you the fare difference and possibly a fine, that's if you can get to the train at all as the barrier won't open for an off peak ticket at peak times.

Anytime as in any train that day but still restricted to peak or off peak depending on the fare paid.

Edited at 09:54 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

That’s exactly what I assumed it must be so I’ve been back and checked but I get the same price if I just put in an open return. It says no restrictions, return within one month. I just keep thinking it can’t be right.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
Just looking at booking the tickets above. If I select the 13.25 out and the 8am back it’s £92 but if I select the 9.25am it’s £52. Logical, I’m thinking - costs more at peak times? But it says on Trainline that these are any time singles, so if I pay less based on the later train can I still travel on the earlier one? Am I missing something really obvious?
Have you priced up singles? I ask as the time we did St Pan to LGW [admittedly 6 years ago!) the fare was £9.60pp. Also check out TPE and Virgin Trains as they don't make a booking charge. The other alternative is using Tesco points for 3X Red Spotted Hanky, they charge £1 for the whole booking, not per person, but as £10 of Tesco points will give £30 of RSH a £1 booking fee is acceptable
Old 24 Jun 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I suspect it will be much cheaper if you use your oyster/debit card as Gatwick is now in the Oyster zone and subject to the daily cap.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

It’s the same for us. Leamington to Heathrow is £125 for 3 adults.
Leamington to Marylebone £62 return in a month, then £5 for tube tickets
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
RML2418
New Poster (4)

Can I firstly suggest never using The Trainline as they do not sell anything that cannot be purchased form a train operator web site or ticket office, and they charge fees.

In the case of London to Gatwick, often buying a ticket to Three Bridges (one stop further) is a lot cheaper, but you must ensure you buy one that is valid for 'break of journey'. That way you can legitimately leave the train at Gatwick and of course get back on there on your way home! This is allowed under the rules.

Happy to help anyone struggling to find an appropriate fare.
RML2418 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

There's no off peak pricing for trains to/from Gatwick, they only sell any time fares. Which is why the above advice to buy a ticket to Three Bridges is valid, since it falls into off peak pricing. However this typically only works for off peak day returns, two singles to/from TBD will be more expensive than two singles to/from GTW.

I don't know your dates but from what I can see on random dates, an 8am departure puts you on the Gatwick Express service to Victoria followed by the tube to St Pancras rather than the much cheaper Thameslink service direct to St Pancras. A Thameslink ticket should be around £10 per person where the GEX+tube in peak hour is about £25 combined.

Suggest purchasing your tickets directly from Thameslink so you're definitely on the right fare codes.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes definitely Thameslink between St Pancras and Gatwick, very easy journey and no struggling with luggage on the tube, about £10 per single ticket.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List