Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Aug 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Danny Timm
Gone all Goofy

HELP with magic bands

So we’re heading off to WDW in December, there’s 7 of us all going. We are just wondering the benefits of magic bands, we are not staying in a Disney resort, nor are we annual pass holders. What sort of benefits do we get? I understand it is safer than getting a card out all the time, and a cool accessory but is it worth getting or not? Any opinions or past experiences would be really appreciated. Thankyou

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Danny Timm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The only advantage worth having is if you have memory maker with your passes? On 7DMT & ToT you get a ride video added if one of you has a MB. You still get your pics without one but not the videos as each MB has a long range chip in that it needs to pick up.
Other than that, easy of use, that's it
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
disney07
Dibbing with Tink

We got ours a couple of years ago and will be using them this time around. We just found them better than having to keep getting park tickets out and then one person looking after them. Also you fast passes can be linked to them so again just tap them as you enter the ride. Don’t have to worry about loosing tickets or fast passes x
Hampton Lakes oct-Nov 2022
disney07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We bought them - but there were only 4 of us. Being able to just tap and go, not have to have tickets there for entry, for FP+, for memory maker photos, for ride photos etc. was well worth it to us.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
As everyone else has said, convenience and the bonus photos and videos on some rides if you have Memory Maker. Personally I love them. We purchased them on our trip in 2015 where we stayed offsite. They can be a little addictive. I've got a small collection of them now (very small). I just prefer them to having to get the card out every time we enter a park or FP queue. Less juggling of stuff. Just tap my wrist to the touchpoint and off we go.

But are they necessary - no, and for 7 people it can be expensive if it's just one person footing the bill.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

You can always put your plastic ticket on a lanyard, or a retractable keyfob. It will do the things as others mentioned above. The ticket will always be handy and everyone has their own. Theres therefore no need to gather them altogether and issue them out before each ride.
Saying all that, we are “offsiters” and still use MBs but there’s just the two of us 🙂
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

Would always get Magic Bands as they are easy and it's another part of the Disney Magic. When I downloaded all our photos/videos at the end of the holiday I found we'd got extras, we ended up getting extra videos, well all the individual character meet photos put together with music.

We booked a throw away night as our party was large (9) so got 9 magic bands and 2 days of parking for 2 cars all included, we paid $95 and got aprox $214 dollars of Disney goods, see the thread here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1062669

WDW - 2005, 2010, 2014, 2018
DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I was going to suggest the above. With 7 of you, it may well be cheaper to book one night at an on-site hotel for the free bands than to purchase them. An alternative is to visit one of the outlets before you go to the parks, they usually have older design bands (e.g. in December, they'll probably be Halloween themed) for $3-5 each instead of $10-15.

I wouldn't say they're any safer than a ticket though, just more convenient if you don't want to wear a lanyard or get your ticket out each time you want to access a park or FP.

Edited at 03:25 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I was going to suggest the above. With 7 of you, it may well be cheaper to book one night at an on-site hotel for the free bands than to purchase them. An alternative is to visit one of the outlets before you go to the parks, they usually have older design bands (e.g. in December, they'll probably be Halloween themed) for $3-5 each instead of $10-15.

I wouldn't say they're any safer than a ticket though, just more convenient if you don't want to wear a lanyard or get your ticket out each time you want to access a park or FP.
Maybe not a hotel but certainly the campsite as one "pitch" can have up to 10 people "stay" on there.

I was hoping to get some at one but Vineland Outlet hardly had anything when we were there last month

WDW - 2005, 2010, 2014, 2018
DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List