Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Aug 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Fortune1991
VIP Dibber

Mobile Virgin PE upgrade

We booked out Disney trip through VH and already upgraded to PE on the outbound flight a few months back for £200pp. The cost to upgrade on the inbound flight was ridiculous so I left it hoping I’d get a better deal. I contacted VH today for a price and they want £1205pp to upgrade from economy to PE! I did a dummy booking and PE is empty except for front rows, why is it so expensive!? Will I get a better deal at the airport? Bidding is also open and starts at £135 for the upgrade, is it worth doing? Any tips/experiences please share!
Fortune1991 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

It sounds like the rep was trying to sell you a one-way PE flight rather than a single segment leg upgrade. Which depending on the booking code of your original flight, may be what you need to end up purchasing. But given you could upgrade the outbound, not being able to upgrade the inbound sounds wrong.

The front rows will be empty as well - they're just blocked from booking, only allocated at check-in. There MAY be people who haven't selected seats yet, even though it's free at time of booking for PE so it's usually not the case unless someone bought a PE package and hasn't bothered to manage any part of their booking.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fortune1991 View Post
We booked out Disney trip through VH and already upgraded to PE on the outbound flight a few months back for £200pp. The cost to upgrade on the inbound flight was ridiculous so I left it hoping I’d get a better deal. I contacted VH today for a price and they want £1205pp to upgrade from economy to PE! I did a dummy booking and PE is empty except for front rows, why is it so expensive!? Will I get a better deal at the airport? Bidding is also open and starts at £135 for the upgrade, is it worth doing? Any tips/experiences please share!
Hi, we had the same issue but I had miles and used those. VH told me it didn't matter how empty one leg was as they had to reprice the whole ticket not just one way so ours was ridiculous too. Even the VH staff advised me to bid or ask at airport. Maybe worth a call to VA to see if they could offer a cash price now or let you know the price that would be offered at airport if its a set amount? Is that bid price including tax or plus? If its plus I'd say it'd be more than I would pay one way.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I was offered outbound upgrade economy to premium economy for 1,500 each 🤣 Inbound upgrade cost me 45.00 each. Can not work these upgrades out. Also my flight looks absolutely rammed both ways x
Old 8 Aug 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DD’s got really cheap upgrades for PE coming home but the outbound is ridiculous prices.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

I know from Manchester they have you by the short and curlies at this this time of year as there are two flights going out, but only one coming back.

So for the return leg they can really crank up the prices. Two planes into one don't go!

I know going out in early September, PE still has space but coming back is rammed!
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

We're getting quoted silly prices for upgrading. I'm not sure whether its because we are flying into JFK and put of MCO so they're being treated as individual flights!
Old 8 Aug 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

Oh yes Plato, I have been looking tonight and see the same ! We go out Aug 25th and there is 6 free seats returning 15th and no seats left at all!
Mrs sun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been quoted £120 for two of us too buy extra miles to upgrade to PE but nearly £181 in taxes each today 😔
Whilst I have spoken to two really nice people the conflicting answers I’ve been given have made me question their price scales ... this was Virgin Atlantic direct
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Don't forget that Air Passenger Duty increases by £78 per person with no reduction for kids on departures from the UK for upgrades from Economy to Premium Economy or Business/Upper.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List