Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Aug 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
PENNYC
Excited about Disney

Lost luggage question

Hi all
For the first time ever we are flying indirect. Manchester to Atlanta with Virgin then Atlanta to Tampa with delta. On return Tampa to New York with delta and New York to Manchester with Virgin. My main worry is our luggage not making it on our flight there or even on return. We are taking 3 cases (1 each) and I’m sharing all our clothes between the 3 just in case one goes missing. But now my mind has gone into overdrive and I’m thinking what If they all go missing? 😳 so now I’m thinking should I pack some clothes in our hand luggage?🤔 I know I’m probably being really stupid but please can I have some reassurance that if our cases didn’t get on the same flight it surely wouldn’t be all of them😕. Or should I put some in my hand luggage... also any horror stories out there?
PENNYC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I always pack one change of clothing in my hand luggage, just in case.

I have had my luggage delayed a few times (mostly via ORD).
Wembleygal is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

I also always take at least one change of clothes and first night "essentials" in the hand luggage. Even if you weren't flying indirect, stuff does happen. I've been unlucky enough to suffer delayed luggage more than once!
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Mobile

Don’t panic! You will have to collect your luggage on Atlanta anyway, as you need to pick it up to go through customs. You will then re-check it for your connection. Coming back, however, your luggage will get checked straight through.

Quick story, my parents had a connection in Philadelphia from Phoenix and onwards to Manchester, their flight out of Phoenix got delayed because of storms, they landed in Philadelphia AFTER the MAN flight should have taken off, but the flight was held for them (and a few others,) and transport was waiting for them to get them across the airport. More incredibly than them making the connection, their luggage did as well.

It’s also worth noting if you buy any duty free going out you will, more than likely, need to put it in your hold luggage once you pick it up in Atlanta, and coming back you won’t be able to buy any duty free until you’re in New York.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It’s rare for luggage to go missing but if it’s does there is a definite possibility all of them will as it usually happens when the connection is tight and you manage to run across the airport but the luggage transfer system is not as quick

Why not take a cabin case on if you are worried.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

OP, how many flights have you been on and how many times has your luggage not arrived?

Not saying it doesn't happen (mine was delayed 12hrs in Vegas), but put it in perspective and pack first night/day clothes in hand luggage
Old 10 Aug 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

In hundreds of flights I have had delayed baggage twice. Once on the way out, once on the way back. Only the way out really matters though.

The airline will supply you with an overnight kit with toothbrush etc if that happens so no need to worry about that side. It was a connecting flight on the way out that one bag of 3 was delayed. As it was an internal flight there were multiple flights per day and it was on the next flight and they delivered it to us the next morning first thing (we could have had it delivered in the early hours if we had wanted).

Unless you have less that 30-45 minutes between dropping the bag (or between flights with auto transfer) it should be unlikely to not make it.

You can also track baggage progress on the Delta app for those flights.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Canoeing fairy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

I would pack a change of clothes in your hand luggage. We have just got back from two weeks in Florida where all three of our cases were not loaded on the correct plane and we did not receive them until 3 days later.
Canoeing fairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have done hundreds of flights at least 50 indirect and had luggage go twice once when some dozy mare picked up my bag by mistake and carried on to Dublin and once when we got upagraded but on and earlier flightbajd luggage did nit make it. I would say you are more likel6 to lose your passport .
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

We’ve only had our luggage not arrive once - on our honeymoon unfortunately. We had a connection in Chicago and the bags missed the connecting flight. Not lost fortunately. They arrived on the next flight to Orlando which we had to wait several hours for at the airport as we were villa AOA so had no address to give them to send it too. I’d also somehow lost my mobile at Chicago airport so they couldn’t even call us. Great start to our married life 😂😂.
clyde/seymore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List