Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Completely agree with everything you've said. I flew Manchester > Heathrow > Miami > Grand Bahama last year with work and the BA LHR>MIA (and the return) were dreadful. I also did Manchester > Heathrow > Nassau > Grand Bahama and both long haul legs were dreadful again. Old planes that smelled of mould, too hot, the IFE didn't work for 2 hours on all four long haul flights and the wait for the final leg at Manchester killed me on both occasions. Even being in World Traveller Plus on the former trip didn't salvage things, it really wasn't very good at all. I didn't experience any staff rudeness but immigration at MIA almost finished me off. I had 3 hours between flights and I only just made my connection due to the queues. Oh, and it was absolutely boiling. Horrific.

I wouldn't fly BA again voluntarily. But until my work start sending me with Virgin I probably won't have a choice!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Oh this sounds just wonderful

Can't wait for our flight/s now! If we didn't book this route however, we wouldn't be going as could not afford to if not.

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirky123
Imagineer

Kirky123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Wow, Thanks for the heads up but really wishing I'd scrolled past this as I can panic with the best when it comes to flying😱
We are flying with AA to Miami so hopefully fingers crossed it won't be too bad.
Really sorry to hear how bad it was for you though. Just glad you loved your time in Florida.
Kirky123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I just flew that route with 4 kids and two pensioners. It was fine ! We did have AA for the transatlantic leg, both ways. We purposely took a slightly longer connection time at Heathrow and had no stress.

Yes, Miami immigration was a horribly long wait, but that’s just the luck of the draw. We found it really easy to get to the car hire after exiting the arrivals area. On the way back check in and security were very efficient at MIA. Yes, it was longer at LHR but we had the time to do it. We only take small amounts of hand luggage, but we did receive an email from BA warning that the shuttle back to Man was busy so they’d be looking to put stuff in the hols.

For an average cost of £260 in the school holidays, yes, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Thomas Cook wanted £700 for direct and Virgin £900.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
BA – What can I say first time flying with them and probably the last.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences - definitely sub par, even by BA's lowered standards. And absolutely no excuse for the abrupt rudeness you experienced at MIA check-in.

As for the airports, well ... we find rudeness and arrogance to be the default at most US airports... contract check-in staff and the Homeland Security rent-a-cops act like they're starring in Lethal Weapon. Best strategy is to grin and endure it.

I hope someone actually listens when you contact BA, although they will probably reply with the usual "sorry this happened to you" and take no action. Walsh and Cruz have destroyed BA's customer care policies.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
All 3 airports (Man / Lhr / Mia) are a nightmare so to have use all 3 to get to Orlando is going to be hell.

Maybe worth the savings in school holidays for some though but cheap flights direct to Florida can be found outside these times
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share

As for the airports, well ... we find rudeness and arrogance to be the default at most US airports... contract check-in staff and the Homeland Security rent-a-cops act like they're starring in Lethal Weapon. Best strategy is to grin and endure it.
I agree with you about the US contract staff. They can be ... challenging ...

As for BA, it is not a good as it used to be, that is true, but I have seen iffy crew on BA, UA, AA, Air Canada, etc.

Other than the 787 on AA, BA, UA, etc, I find all planes too hot. You can ask an FA to turn adjust the plane temp if you are uncomfortable.

I have heard terrible things about Miami airport - one to avoid.
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Wembleygal View Post
I agree with you about the US contract staff. They can be ... challenging ...

As for BA, it is not a good as it used to be, that is true, but I have seen iffy crew on BA, UA, AA, Air Canada, etc..
I'm iffy on BA generally, though I use them on price alone. But you are spot on. Airline culture is commonly rubbish across the industry.

BA cabin crew, however, are generally professional despite being under paid and treated poorly. No thanks to their bosses though.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Oh gosh.

I have done this route out twice and yes we had to queue a while in Miami but it seemed to move a lot. I missed the passport reader machines when we went.

Coming home we are flying MIA-MAD-LHR-MAN. I’ve done this route before and I have to say IB are a cut above BA.

I had originally got a flight straight from MAD to MAN but this was cancelled and I was paying with Avios so had no choice but to go via LHR as there was no other availability.

We will try and take minimum luggage back with us just in case.

Thanks for the heads up.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
l33na
VIP Dibber

Oh gosh. We are flying indirect in the way back from Tampa via Miami to Lhr. I’m considering ringing BA to see how much a switch to direct is.
l33na is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List