Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Jun 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida virgin
Imagineer

Driving for the first time out of MCO to Cane Island

So we land at 16.45 in MCO and then have to navigate getting out of the airport and onto Cane Island, I am the sole driver, I drive every day and have driven an automatic, but never in USA and I must admit I am a little scared.

Any tips or reassurance for me?

I have a map and a sat nav.
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I needed to check where Cane Island was but I see that it's east of Old Town on US192.

If it were me I'd leave MCO on 417 south and leave at j2 on to Celebration Avenue. Turn right on CA up to the US192 then turn right and go past Old Town.

417 is a toll road and you'll pay two manned tolls at $1,50 then an unmanned toll at (I say $1, ChrisS says 75 cents )

417 very well signposted at MCO and if you pick your car up on B side its very easy. Don't worry if you miss it first time or if you pick the car up from A side as the roads around MCO are a complete gyratory system so just go round and start again.

You could use 528 north out of MCO then Interstate 4 but as it's your first time I'd really recommend 417. 10% of I-4's traffic

Also have you read the DIBB guide to driving over there? Recently updated by Mr Morrow with a little input from me. I'll link it if you're interested.

Mick
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida virgin
Imagineer

Thank you, much appreciated. I drive every day over here and use motorways etc, I think its the fear of the unknown. We will have wheelchair assistance for my mum so don't know if that has an impact on where we will pick the car up from.
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Florida virgin View Post
Thank you, much appreciated. I drive every day over here and use motorways etc, I think its the fear of the unknown. We will have wheelchair assistance for my mum so don't know if that has an impact on where we will pick the car up from.
Here you go

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

The garages are at ground level and accessible from the arrivals floor by lift and you then have to cross a road.

Who are you hiring with?

Mick
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Like s lot of dibbers your fear of driving for the first time in the USA is understandable and you hit it on the head. It's the fear of the unknown.

As others have suggested the dibb guide to driving in the USA is worth a read. I would also suggest having a look at some of the Orlando international airport driving videos as they may give you a bit of a "feel" of driving over there

When I first started going to WDW the 417 (southern road) from the airport didn't exist but it is (IMHO) a much easier route to navigate if you are new to the area.

It's all very well for those of us who are used to driving over there to say "there is nothing to worry about" but I do get your worry. Take your time and don't rush.

The most common mistake I make then I am o er there is when I have parked up at a shop for example and them come back to the car to find someone has stolen the steering wheel because I automatically got in the wrong side of the car.
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Our Sat Nave never kicks in until we are away from the airports concrete multi stoey garage, so the above guides are useful.

Driving - it's different for everyone, just take your time, get used to where controls are, and go carefully. You will be tired too, but no hurry.

PS: Cane Isand is fab!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida virgin
Imagineer

Thank you all, I am flying with Virgin and have hire car through alamo, just waiting to get my reference number so I can do online check in etc.
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida virgin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Our Sat Nave never kicks in until we are away from the airports concrete multi stoey garage, so the above guides are useful.

Driving - it's different for everyone, just take your time, get used to where controls are, and go carefully. You will be tired too, but no hurry.

PS: Cane Isand is fab!
Cane Island looks great, we can't wait to stay there.
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Like s lot of dibbers your fear of driving for the first time in the USA is understandable and you hit it on the head. It's the fear of the unknown.

As others have suggested the dibb guide to driving in the USA is worth a read. I would also suggest having a look at some of the Orlando international airport driving videos as they may give you a bit of a "feel" of driving over there

When I first started going to WDW the 417 (southern road) from the airport didn't exist but it is (IMHO) a much easier route to navigate if you are new to the area.

It's all very well for those of us who are used to driving over there to say "there is nothing to worry about" but I do get your worry. Take your time and don't rush.

The most common mistake I make then I am o er there is when I have parked up at a shop for example and them come back to the car to find someone has stolen the steering wheel because I automatically got in the wrong side of the car.
BB

I don't want this to sound like stealth boasting as it certainly isn't - only trying to help first time drivers. We've hired on all of our 30 odd trips and I've maybe driven 45,000 miles in the Sunshine state and, without fail, I'll always head for the 417 south just to ease me into driving over there again after a long day in the air especially as it's often rush hour if you arrive on a week day.

Mick
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thank you all, I am flying with Virgin and have hire car through alamo, just waiting to get my reference number so I can do online check in etc.

Congratulations on choosing Alamo. The best in our opinion. Hopefully you'll know that if you do OLCI and skip the counter you can go straight to the garage and pick your car avoiding the "upselling" at the terminal desks.

All you need is the bar code.

Mick