Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Aug 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

ABZ-LHR-MIA-MCO connection times

I have gotten a good price on a BA flydrive for next July £562 pp for 16 night the flights going out are as above the connecting time in Miami is only 1hr 50min is this enough time? And anyone any reviews on this route ?

We usually fly ABZ to LHR then LGW to MCO but there is £1000 difference between prices for the 5 of us and we would still have to switch airports.
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

It’s possible, but is a bit tight, will all come down to how quick immigration is (Miami is not as bad as it was, especially if you can use the APC kiosks).

I’d honestly probably prefer a bit more time in MIA to connect, but if there are a few more flights later that day MIA-MCO on AA, and you aren’t someone who would stress too much about having to be rebooked, it might be worth the risk. Only you can judge that for yourself, but £1000 is a good chunk of change.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

We used the kiosks but it gave me the dreaded cross even with a drink stop, a toilet stop and a out to park8ng garage and back to the terminal error I think that’s was under hour and half so you shou”d as long as planes on time be fine. I addition there seemed to be several Mco flights so wors5 case you get the next 9ne
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

The flights due to arrive into Miami at 15.40 and next ones at 17.30 worst case if we miss the flight we could drive up to Orlando. We are just so limited flying from Aberdeen!
2015 All Stars Music
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney45 View Post
The flights due to arrive into Miami at 15.40 and next ones at 17.30 worst case if we miss the flight we could drive up to Orlando.

If you do decide to drive, make sure you get your tickets endorsed, since with most airlines, and certainly BA/AA, missing a sector on an itinerary will result in the rest of the flights on that ticket (ie your return home) being cancelled automatically.

Are there other flights MIA-MCO that day after the 17:30 flight?
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney45 View Post
I have gotten a good price on a BA flydrive for next July £562 pp for 16 night the flights going out are as above the connecting time in Miami is only 1hr 50min is this enough time? And anyone any reviews on this route ?

We usually fly ABZ to LHR then LGW to MCO but there is £1000 difference between prices for the 5 of us and we would still have to switch airports.
The drive from Miami to Orlando is approx 3.5 hours, so have you thought to sack this flight and drive to Orlando instead of hanging around and then having the flight time, then luggage collection etc etc. I’m sure there’d not be much in it.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Conjuror
Gone all Goofy

Hi, we travel EDI-LHR-MIA-MCO in a few weeks, with the same connection time, know it will be a wee bit tight but the price for this route, which included car hire, was too good to pass. Will keep you updated on how we find the connection times in Miami.

Edited at 11:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Conjuror is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ianmstewart
Gone all Goofy

Hi there. We did this exact route in October 2015.

So the LHR->MIA flight was delayed by 30 mins which meant we missed our connection by probably only by about 10 mins in the end. It was a bit stressfull, not helped by the fact my parents got let through to try catch the connection but we didn't!(family of 5). We got put on the next AA flight up to MCO about an hour or so later which was fine. I'm not sure we would have made it even if they had let us through, my mum and dad didn't, but got a bit lost to be fair, and had to get the same flight as us in the end.

My view is that the connection time is extremely tight as it's quite a hike to the gate for the MCO flight. Any sort of delay in LHR then you are struggling. If we had left LHR on time we'd have made it but only just.

Still we got up to Orlando no probs and would have no problems doing the route again but would probably go with the mentality of making that connection as a bonus rather than expected.

We are going back this year and are flying GLA->LHR->MIA then driving up to Orlando - the prices were dirt cheap compared to flying from ABZ and into MCO so we're giving it a try. The drive back from Glasgow to Aberdeen will be a bind but for 5 of us the saving was worth trying.
ianmstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ingvar
Getting Excited

We did this route (from Glasgow) at the end of July. Our BA flight left Heathrow just over an hour late but we arrived on time into Miami. We were off the plane, bags collected, through immigration and customs and bags dropped off at AA bag drop within 30-40 mins (I'm presuming that is fairly fast) so plenty time for our connection. However, our AA flight up to Orlando was delayed by 2.5 hours due to the weather in Tampa ( where our flight was arriving from) speaking to frequent fliers on the Orlando flight, it is fairly common for these flights to be delayed, especially in the summer with frequent storms. Not sure how it worked, possibly a different flight path but when we eventually left for Orlando, the flight only took 35 mins instead of 65.
Would definitely do this route again
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ingvar View Post
We did this route (from Glasgow) at the end of July. Our BA flight left Heathrow just over an hour late but we arrived on time into Miami. We were off the plane, bags collected, through immigration and customs and bags dropped off at AA bag drop within 30-40 mins (I'm presuming that is fairly fast) so plenty time for our connection. However, our AA flight up to Orlando was delayed by 2.5 hours due to the weather in Tampa ( where our flight was arriving from) speaking to frequent fliers on the Orlando flight, it is fairly common for these flights to be delayed, especially in the summer with frequent storms. Not sure how it worked, possibly a different flight path but when we eventually left for Orlando, the flight only took 35 mins instead of 65.
Would definitely do this route again
Ok so you need to collect your luggage and recheck it In ?

I think we are going to hold off and see if the prices drop a bit seeing as it’s only BA prices out. We usually pay around £600 pp so hoping for that again. But I’m seriously considering this route and going with the flow. Thanks for everyone’s help
2015 All Stars Music
2013 POFQ