Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Aug 18, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
TICH1952
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disneydaft70 View Post
She said she could book me elsewhere but we wouldn't be sat together. I said I booked first so move the other people and she said they can't? But hang on you moved me!

I'm going to ring them again now to see if they've got any further with my complaint?

JA
I would be absolutely furious keep on at them, as you say you booked first so they should move the others.
TICH1952 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
I've read the Ts and Cs and that doesn't in any way change my point which was that they may well want to, and indeed try to, get away with the absolute minimum that they can do. It doesn't mean they won't give more if a good case is made and persistently loud complaining is undertaken on social media etc.

It's great if you're one of the folks who lies down and says ah well, t&cs shrug but what I'm saying is that no one has to be that person.

There are plenty of other ways they can make it up to the OP and it's a matter of not just accepting things and going quietly. A good start on this, and any other complaint, is to disregard the all powerful "t&cs" and consider what harm was done to your position and what you would consider in compensation. Ask for something more and escalate until a compromise is offered which meets at least your original goal.

Whatever t&cs say, most people find it unacceptable to be offered something, to pay for something and then not get it with a simple, here, have your money back. t&cs in no way stop you from complaining and these days, companies are very sensitive to complaints on social media for example.

It makes much more sense for an airline to ensure a happy customer than to go to the wall for their t&cs.

All of which is to say... t&cs in a b2b contract worth millions? yeah that's one thing... t&cs in a simple but annoying airline mess up? only there to discourage people who'll accept it.

ps. That's before we consider if the t&cs are actually fair and enforceable, validly placed during the booking procedure and so on.
I don’t disagree with complaining and hoping to get something maybe vroom passes however.

You can’t really stand on the high ground expecting Virgin to keep their part if the contract and not keep yours ie when you book the seats you agree and understand that you could be moved contracts work two ways
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
I've read the Ts and Cs and that doesn't in any way change my point which was that they may well want to, and indeed try to, get away with the absolute minimum that they can do. It doesn't mean they won't give more if a good case is made and persistently loud complaining is undertaken on social media etc.

It's great if you're one of the folks who lies down and says ah well, t&cs shrug but what I'm saying is that no one has to be that person.

There are plenty of other ways they can make it up to the OP and it's a matter of not just accepting things and going quietly. A good start on this, and any other complaint, is to disregard the all powerful "t&cs" and consider what harm was done to your position and what you would consider in compensation. Ask for something more and escalate until a compromise is offered which meets at least your original goal.

Whatever t&cs say, most people find it unacceptable to be offered something, to pay for something and then not get it with a simple, here, have your money back. t&cs in no way stop you from complaining and these days, companies are very sensitive to complaints on social media for example.

It makes much more sense for an airline to ensure a happy customer than to go to the wall for their t&cs.

All of which is to say... t&cs in a b2b contract worth millions? yeah that's one thing... t&cs in a simple but annoying airline mess up? only there to discourage people who'll accept it.

ps. That's before we consider if the t&cs are actually fair and enforceable, validly placed during the booking procedure and so on.
I don't roll over and never said I would.. It comes down to the usual thing that people in general don't actually bother reading all the T&Cs and then complain when someone does what it is entitled to do in the contract that both sides agree to, works both ways I'm afraid.
Asking nicely and calmly usually results in a good result but if people start going on about a contract was made and they shouldnt be moved etc it will usually result in the "tough luck" approach and this also includes moaning on social media etc.
Worst case you get your money back if you paid, you still end up getting to where you want to go and that trumps everything in the end.

In the rare occasions we book seats we know there is a chance we may still be moved right up to the point the aircraft starts moving to take off.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
pegasus928
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TICH1952 View Post
I would be absolutely furious keep on at them, as you say you booked first so they should move the others.
Fine in theory - but if they have already moved you to accommodate someone else it’s because they have decided their need is greater. One reason could be that it will be a high level frequent flyer - so their business is deemed to be more important (that is why they have a loyalty program after all). This may seem harsh if you are on the receiving end but airlines are in a tough industry, and keeping frequent flyers happy is better business sense that appeasing someone who may only fly with them once every 3 years.
pegasus928 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

So, what do you now expect virgin to do?
Pay you back tge seat costs, yes.
Move some people out of tge Seats they gave paid for to accommodate you? They Tgetge will be in the same position, as they had no knowledge of you pre booking thosecseats.

How full is the flight? Are there any other comparable seats available?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by coventry_family View Post
Paying for seats doesn't guarantee them. That's why we don't bother as it's just a money making scheme for the airlines for people that are daft enough to pay.
Last time I checked, I wasn’t “daft”. Just a choice I make. Up to you to do what you like to do too.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

OP - Good luck with your seats, hope you manage to get something that suits.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sarajulia
New Poster (3)

Have just found this thread & same thing happened to us last year. We’d paid for seats in the bubble & it was only by chance that I noticed our seats had been changed to downstairs right at the back of the plane. When I phoned I was told that they’d changed aircraft & the seats we’d chosen were already taken. The thing that made me most angry was that they had not tried to contact us to let us know this had happened & I had to fight for a refund we were entitled to. Very disappointed in Virgins’ lack of customer service.
sarajulia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I would be cross too. I think the OP probably knows that there is little chance that they will move the people that have been given their seats but I think an apology, maybe lounge passes and a decent set of seats along with a refund of the seat choosing premium would be expected.

I am fortunately married to a frequent flyer with BA but to my knowledge we have never bumped someone from their seats, we just go online and pick from the available seats, if there weren't any together would just suck it up and pick from the remainder.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
marc7
Excited about Disney

im afraid booking and paying for seats doesn't guarantee them seats
its in the small print
Poinciana villa 2019
marc7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List