Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 18, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Best Airports to change flights

I'm looking for some advice please. Our flights are going to start showing in the next couple of days and as we are going during school summer holidays I am expecting direct flights to be expensive so am looking at going indirect. Which are the best/easiest airports to change flights and how long a layover am I looking for? We have only flown direct before so I don't have a clue. Thank you
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

You want at least 2.5hrs on the way out imo. You want one with a good number of connecting flights in case you do miss your original connection.

Also depending on the time of the year there are certain airports that carry more risks I.e. the north eastern airports like New York, Washington, Boston may have snow in the winter.

I have to say I have transitted all of the above in Winter and summer and it is really luck of the draw. Most important for me is price and a decent layover time.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Thank you. Hadn't thought about flights if we miss our connection. Would we just be put on the next flight with spare seats if we miss our connection?
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post

You will get lots of different answers for this!

Personally price plays a big part for me. Happy to fly half hour further if it saves me a bundle.

Outbound and inbound I check how many flights to my next destination are there that day. Esp coming back. Don't want to be on last flight home - just in case.

For that reason I often transfer through an airline hub. Eg altanta for delta.

Personally I allow 3 hours for outbound and prefer to travel earlier in the day as this gives more scope in terms of on flights if there is a problem.

I would book a much quicker return change.

Always book a through ticket.

Keep a regular eye on your internal flights as they are likely to be subject to timetable and plane changes. (Log your details on the website to get updates). I have found us carriers to be very accommodating in how I respond to those changes - as long as I have booked direct with an airline (or partner) rather than a travel agent (if with ta they tend to want the ta to make the changes I have found).

Take time to learn about codeshare and who codeshare with who. You can save money by booking the same plane with different airlines.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Thank you. Hadn't thought about flights if we miss our connection. Would we just be put on the next flight with spare seats if we miss our connection?
This is why having a through ticket rather than two separate tickets is important.

They are responsible for getting you to your final destination so will sort it all out for you. May be next flight might be alternate routing.

One year we were going uk-boston-orlando. Plane was delayed in Heathrow and they approached us before we left and moved us to an Atlanta flight hatvgot us there earlier.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Thank you, that's very helpful.